Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Looking for a mud bike

Re: Looking for a mud bike

I'm sorry, I can't bite my tongue any longer. This is straight up the worst idea I've seen on here in a long time. No offense D, but you will not grow into a bike like this. It will scare you right out of dirt riding. Starting on pavement on a big bike is one thing. It's all relatively smooth and predictable and the bikes make smooth power.

This 250 class of bike has the most violent acceleration available. Pair it with inexperience in the rooty, rocky, snotty woods on NE and you have a disaster waiting to happen. CAN you survive it? yes, will you? not likely without getting hurt. Will it make you a better rider? I'm betting my house against it.

I can't believe any of you guys are getting behind this. Get a 250FFFFFFFF PLEASE

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

A full on 250 mx set-up can be a little hard to handle. But a 250 set-up for woods is a nice package. Like mentioned above. A flywheel weight and long silencer with spark arrester will mellow out the hit and make it fun for beginners.
    I myself love the hard hit of 250 2T. If you can find it a pre aluminum frame Honda CR250 93-96 will be a great bike. These are rock solid machines that handle well and have fantastic power delivery. I have a 1994 that would fit the bill but it is not for sale...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

THAT is gorgeous. But not for beginners IMO

Paul_E_D

I'm with paul. Go with a 250f if you want a 250. A 2 stroke 250 is way too much bike to have fun learning on. A kdx200 like has been mentioned or a 250 4 stroke are much better options.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

She jumped into racing on an 848, which by all reports is more ill handling than every 600.
    I'm not saying it's an ideal sitch to jump onto a big smoker, but she is a pretty good example of the type of surgeon that will approach a new skillset like dirty riding with more step-by-stepness of this whole forum combined.

A 250f can be just as deadly, even with a more linear power curve.

Edit: I wouldn't suggest it to someone with even a hint of squidliness. But Dana is a special case, and even though I know it'll surprise her till she gets used to it, she's more than capable of coming out on top. Not the next McGrath, but a competent trail poker, or mx track rider arounder.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 09-25-13 at 08:55 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    It will scare you right out of dirt riding.
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for being so frank. Before I make a purchase, I'll be continuing to surf sites and read, get opinions and finally weigh it all before pulling the plug. I've got a friend who does some excavation and I'm pretty certain he can help me gain some experience where the obstacles are fewer and it'll be easier to rehearse. I really do appreciate the strong opinions though - without them it's very difficult to measure the diversity of feedback. I'm afraid that a 125 may not be sufficient for someone of my weight. (129 + 71lbs)

-diz

-dana

LRRS NOV #358
    http://DucatiRacerChick.blogspot.com/

There's truth and charm and beauty
    And strangeness everywhere
    The closer we examine
    The more there's nothing there

For sure my CR is not a beginner bike!! It hits hard and pulls hard. Even if it is flat on top....

Honda XRs are about as easy to learn on as it gets. I would think finding a nice 400 would work pretty well and be in budget. Although the seat height might be a little high. But still a non race type 4 stroke is the way to go in my eyes.

Paul is right!!

I ride my cousins' 2001 YZ125 every now and again. It is more than enough for me in most situations. The only place it doesn't like my weight is on a long soft sandy hill climb. My cousin who rides it exclusively is over 200 and I am much heavier. Don't be tentative about a 125. All that said, a woods bike like a KDx or ktm200 would probably suit your needs better as I see it.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Any woods smoker has less of a "hit" Dana. Almost all the newer (2000+) ktm's are tunable too, for just that: hit. A big bore woods smoker is a different beast altogether and shouldn't be discarded. My 300 is one of the easiest bikes to ride ever. Straight torque off the bottom, and no flat up top. Learning curve for something like that is pretty short.

Step one: decide what kind of riding you wanna do.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    She jumped into racing on an 848, which by all reports is more ill handling than every 600.
    I'm not saying it's an ideal sitch to jump onto a big smoker, but she is a pretty good example of the type of surgeon that will approach a new skillset like dirty riding with more step-by-stepness of this whole forum combined.

A 250f can be just as deadly, even with a more linear power curve.

Edit: I wouldn't suggest it to someone with even a hint of squidliness. But Dana is a special case, and even though I know it'll surprise her till she gets used to it, she's more than capable of coming out on top. Not the next McGrath, but a competent trail poker, or mx track rider arounder.
    What's the point of having a bike if all you are going to do is lug it around and foul plugs? So she probably could ride it, but is it the best bike for her situation?

And diz I wouldn't suggest a 125 2 stroke either because the power comes on very abruptly and there's a lot of it. Like adam said, an xr, klx, drz, or other trail riding 4 stroke bike would be much more ideal.

Nah, the best bike for her situation is one that she'll ride. She's free to make that decision herself.
    125, 250, 2t, 4t, mx, woods, trail/play, dualsport, I don't know.
    I just don't necessarily subscribe to the "it's too big, you'll die" schtick in her very particular instance only.

You're more than welcome to putt around on my 300 to see what a big woods smoker is all about. Tourque for days, and it won't necessarily go flat up top. You can ride it like a gramma without fear of fouling plugs too, I've been doing just that for some time now.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Nah, the best bike for her situation is one that she'll ride. She's free to make that decision herself.
    125, 250, 2t, 4t, mx, woods, trail/play, dualsport, I don't know.
    I just don't necessarily subscribe to the "it's too big, you'll die" schtick in her very particular instance only.

You're more than welcome to putt around on my 300 to see what a big woods smoker is all about. Tourque for days, and it won't necessarily go flat up top. You can ride it like a gramma without fear of fouling plugs too, I've been doing just that for some time now.
    She references 2 mx bikes. Those are a far cry from the ktm machines. Totally different rides. And like Paul said. ..all it takes is a root or rock to end up on your ass.

I had some dirt experience but truly my first bike was a yz250. It tried to kill me all the time at the beginning. Almost succeeded a few times. As I got better it stopped trying to kill me as mich, I loved every second riding it. But shit happens REAL FAST on these bikes. REAL FAST.

Paul hit the nail on the head, it is not even close to comparable to riding a liter bike on a track. The power is savage. Weight to HP is insane, and it is a hair turn of the throttle between 5 horse power and 40 horse power, there is nothing in between. One unexpected bump and an accidental eigth turn of the throttle and your hanging off the back. As time goes on this doesn't happen, you learn to embrace it, you ride the wheel spin and you stay on the bike, not hanging on to the bars. At this point the fun really starts. The big question is did you survive long enough to make it here?

If you're willing to take the risk, the reward is there. If yore going to pussy foot it and use it as a learner bike, get something else. It was meant to be ridden on the pipe, ride it there.

I'm truly excited about all the dirt talk going on right now. Lets keep this going.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

848 of dirt bikes? MXV 450.

oh, em, gee, da soundz.. .

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    And like Paul said. ..all it takes is a root or rock to end up on your ass.
    Ehhh... You can end up on your ass with a 4t just as easily.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

the entire second page didn't load... I would agree with a few comments here, ride a 250 2T MX'er before you purchase one. and I don't mean around the block

Beta 200RR

250 2t is a bit much for sure...125 is a better bet, it has plenty of power, and will very much teach you how to use the clutch to keep the rpm's up

most new people don't even ride the full potential of a 125...they just lug it like this

WARNING: do NOT watch this if you like the sound of a 2t on the pipe!

and like other people said, most woods bikes are tamer vehicles...something woods-friendly out of the box, or setup for woods at home will be more rideable

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    it is not even close to comparable to riding a liter bike on a track. The power is savage. Weight to HP is insane, and it is a hair turn of the throttle between 5 horse power and 40 horse power, there is nothing in between. One unexpected bump and an accidental eigth turn of the throttle and your hanging off the back. As time goes on this doesn't happen, you learn to embrace it, you ride the wheel spin and you stay on the bike, not hanging on to the bars. At this point the fun really starts. The big question is did you survive long enough to make it here?
    dude...this was some excellent dirt journalism!!

what the OP needs to do is show up at an MX track...

...then all of you guys need to show up the same day, then loan her your bike for a few laps so she can see what you're talking about

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-26-13 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    She references 2 mx bikes. Those are a far cry from the ktm machines. Totally different rides. And like Paul said. ..all it takes is a root or rock to end up on your ass.
    You could trip on your sideburns and end up on your ass.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

You could trip on your sideburns and end up on your ass.
    It's almost like you just want to read the crash report...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Ehhh... You can end up on your ass with a 4t just as easily.

BS.

Here is the perfect Intro or beginner Dirt ride and its has LOW hrs.......I have had many 250's and wheelies in thick woods can be fun but a 125 is a better choice and it will pull any size human around. I rode it and it rips.......but its up to you

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...-125-Low-Hours

That is a great choice for Diz. Jump on that! The YZ125 is by far the easiest to ride, and a bike that you actually CAN grow into... and pick up when you are tired.

Paul_E_D

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/4069880751.html

i don't think he's asking much. excellent trail bike. plus it has a street title!

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    That is a great choice for Diz. Jump on that! The YZ125 is by far the easiest to ride, and a bike that you actually CAN grow into... and pick up when you are tired.
    and able to start tired, pick up and push if needed, can be rode on a MX track (250 on a track is a handfull) and likes the slow low RPM trail friendly as not all 250's are....... I would say all around eaiser to handle, ride and maitain also

as someone who rode a 900rr as their first bike, and has time on a crf450, wr450, and owns a 4t 225 and a 4t 600 dirtbike, I'm not part of the crowd that cries about people getting a 600 as a starter bike and thinks everyone should start on ninja 250.

With that said, comparing riding one of those 450s to my rc51, the 450s feel FAR more out of control, faster, and much more of a handful and I'm 6'5" 250lbs. My only 2t experience on dirt is my dads rm80, and I was surprised at the powerband with me on it. Bog, bog, bog, BRRRAAAPPPPPPPP!!!!

I honestly think getting a 250 as a first dirtbike is the equivalent of the cliché turbo-busa first bike.

dirt is a whole different animal.

but do whatever ya like, I don't think it will kill you, but I do think you will have less fun than on a more appropriatlely sized bike.

What about Claytons CR-125? he has it all set up for the woods already and had it revalved, i think maybe for a bit lighter weight but might be worth it to just have it adjusted to you?

Corey

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast