Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a sprinter or equivalent for next season

Looking for a sprinter or equivalent for next season

With the death of the camper van last season i need a new tow vehicle for next season. I was hoping for something i can put the bike in so i dont have to deal with a trailer anymore. I have been looking at used dodge sprinters. My budget isnt huge (sub 5k) i have seen afew sprinters but wanted to see if anyone has one they might want to help a fellow racer out and unload. I would really like to buy from someone here just in the fact i can trust you guys more then the scum bags on CL. So if you have something or know someone who does please let me know. Thanks everyone!!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just keep moving those markers in until your pants become soiled and you see god.
    LRRS EX #329
    Thank you to my 2022 sponsors: Vortex, Hot Bodies, Cycle gear, Spectro Oil, DP brakes!!

Re: Looking for a sprinteror equivalent for next season

Where is Sav’s old ambulance these days?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I don't think a sub 5k sprinter is a smart buy. Any older sprinter in good driveable condition is worth > 10K no matter the miles. <5K is basket case territory.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

I have seen afew 05/06 diesel sprinters on cl for the 4-5k range with around 200k miles. Should be nothing for a diesel.........?

Just keep moving those markers in until your pants become soiled and you see god.
    LRRS EX #329
    Thank you to my 2022 sponsors: Vortex, Hot Bodies, Cycle gear, Spectro Oil, DP brakes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mgiossi View Post
    I have seen a few 05/06 diesel sprinters on cl for the 4-5k range with around 200k miles. Should be nothing for a diesel.........?
    The miles would be fine. They would likely be rusted out for that price. You'd have to get very lucky to find one in good shape at that price. It would be a give away.

Paul_E_D

We sold a 10yo Chevrolet Express with 165,000 miles on it (with maintenance records) for $5,500 on two hours. So that’s an ambitious price point.

You could very likely find a 1st gen Ford Transit Connect in that price range, and they have just barely enough room. They have decent head room, two sliders, and get good mpg. *

I wouldn’t want to be maintaining a diesel on a budget.

* I take that back, cheapest TC on CL has asking price of $5,900. Many Express available for under $5K. Higher load floor but lots of room.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-31-18 at 09:29 AM.

The 06 and older sprinters are nearly industrial service type reliable. Most any repair will be electrical or rust related. BUT, they can get pricey if things do go wrong, and it's hard to find people to work on them.

Paul_E_D

Ya i was looking at the transit connects but from what i have heard was the first gens are just to small to fit a race bike. Well at least with the passengers seat still in it.

LRRS EX #329

Race bikes no problem. It’s bigger bikes that are the problem. My V-Strom was too long.

I guess i need to go measure one but from what i was told is the first gens are about 6ft long in the back. So i would need 7ft to fit the bike in. Guys take the passengers seat out to slide it in. This is what i have heard again so i dont know. Anyone have any pictures of a first gen transit with a bike in it?

LRRS EX #329

A sv650 is 21xx mm long a v-storm is 22xx mm long. It looks like they are basically the same length ��

LRRS EX #329

Went to look at a sprinter today. Over all its in good shape. No rot and the mechanicals seem ok. Has a code p0001 for fuel volume regulator control open. Anyone have any idea what that could entail? Also its super load inside due to it being a giant metal box. There was a stange vibration/ sudder i felt afew times. Didnt know if it was possible just how loud it was and maybe it was just the road or maybe something more???

LRRS EX #329

E
    I guess i need to go measure one but from what i was told is the first gens are about 6ft long in the back. So i would need 7ft to fit the bike in. Guys take the passengers seat out to slide it in. This is what i have heard again so i dont know. Anyone have any pictures of a first gen transit with a bike in it?
    We had three vans and work - and I bought them - so I’ve done track days with all of them. Took the Transit Connect to NJMP, worked great. A first gen DL650 would not fit in it, period. With a 2nd gen SV650SF:
    Option 1. Sideways.

Option 2. Front wheel in between seats. After experimenting I always did it that way, very quick and easy and secure.

Which yields plenty of 6Sprinter owners. If I only had $5,000 to spend I’d buy a trailer. I don’t think you want to spend racing season working on a van?

Last edited by Garandman; 12-31-18 at 06:45 PM.

I've only worked on a few Sprinters (maybe 6 or 7). I've replaced the exhaust on 2 or 3 due to rot. I've replaced a turbo on one of the older ones for broken wastegate motor. The newer diesels (OM642) have issues with oil cooler gaskets in the passenger cars. They last longer in the Sprinters, but are eventually a problem. They are buried on top of the block in the valley, so it's a LOT of work to replace.

I am not impressed with them at all as far as what you get for the money. It's a tin can on wheels with terrible handling.

Last edited by golden chicken; 12-31-18 at 08:05 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Went to look at a sprinter today. Over all its in good shape. No rot and the mechanicals seem ok. Has a code p0001 for fuel volume regulator control open. Anyone have any idea what that could entail? Also its super load inside due to it being a giant metal box. There was a stange vibration/ sudder i felt afew times. Didnt know if it was possible just how loud it was and maybe it was just the road or maybe something more???
    The shudder is nothing serious. They call it rumble strip noise and it's just a resonance in the transmission at certain speeds under light load.

They are loud. But i disagree with chicken. Once you understand you are driving a high cog van, the driving dynamics are a strong point. The motor is awesome and prefers to be driven hard. Turning radius is better than most cars. Parking is super easy. Visibility is great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Where is Sav’s old ambulance these days?
    I believe some where in NJ hauling Miatas

Picked this guy up yeaterday. Over all seems good. Starts and drives very nicely. Shifts great and i was shocked how smooth it was on the highway for being a giant metal box. So now its time to gut it and get it ready for the season. Not sure how much i can get done but wheel chucks, storage and a bed will be prioritized.
    Looking for a sprinter or equivalent for next season-20190103_130607-jpgLooking for a sprinter or equivalent for next season-20190103_130607-jpg

LRRS EX #329

Right on! looks super clean. Did you get it for 5k or less? 144" wheelbase? Low roof.

Paul_E_D

Yup got it within my budget! Very little rust. Low roof and short wheel base. Lots of room for what i want to use it for. I think i just got lucky, it was a part of a fleet a business was using and they got all new trucks so they were just getting rid of the old trucks for cheap. Right place at the right time really.

LRRS EX #329

so 118"? Cool, that's almost the same van I had. What year?

Paul_E_D

Its an 05, 5cly diesel. Has shelving and a divider inside but takes up more space then i would probably be using them for. So ill be taking it all out along with the ladder racks on top. Maybe try to sell them to scrape up money to fund the work i want to do. Would love to do pitbull restraints but its really pricy.

LRRS EX #329

Sweet. I had an 06 118 super high roof. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Paul_E_D

Awesome thanks paul. Ill let you know if i have any questions

LRRS EX #329

Nice picture mike...

2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

I have a 2005 sprinter 145,000 miles
    I used it for my painting company and Just bought a new van.
    I was offered 4 grand at the dealer for it
    if you want it ya can have it for 3500

eat me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast