Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rock climbing gear

Lifer

Rock climbing gear

just started the sport and im already sick of renting. New stuff isnt that bad but used would be cheaper so i will start there. Im looking for a man's and women's setup. Just the basic's like harness, shoes, chalk bag and maybe a belay like a grigri. For men's id need and xl harness, 12+ shoes (im actually a size 11 but the rentals are 12.5 and still dont feel right, could be the fact that they are rentals though) and for womens the same. She is currently a size 9 shoe but the 11.5 fit her well.
    If your somewhat in the area and have a good deal maybe we can work something out.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Re: Rock climbing gear

your best bet is most likely going to be to go to an Eastern Mountain Sports. they have beginner packages which include harness, chalk bag, belay biner and a belay device. if you ask nicely too you can usually get a discount off of shoes if you buy it all at the same time. i have a ton of gear but nothing that would fit you.

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Lifer

The gym I go to actually has better prices than ems but im hoping for a good used deal. The shoes are the real killer.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

when i started climbing i pulled the trigger on all the basics. it hurt the wallet at first but was worth it. just wait till you keep buying new shoes for different stuff. i have atleast 4 active pairs of shoes that i use for different types of climbing. they all have different attributes lol. nevermind once you wanna start climbing outside and you start dumping money into a lead rack, ropes, slings and extra biners all in all i have about 3k+ in just rock gear not including all the camping gear etc that goes along with the sport

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Lifer

Arcy is selling some stuff.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Arcy is selling some stuff.
    link? I dont know who that is?

Lifer

I'll point him here.

Spend the money on a pair of shoes. You don't want someone else's nasty foot stuff. Look for something with relatively thicker rubber. You'll likely wear out the toes of the shoes as your footwork improves. But shoes can be resoled at a fraction of the cost of new. Don't get conned into something downturned or to size down. Comfort is key as you get started. If you can't put all the money out at once, buy the shoes, rent a harness, use your partner's belay device and bum the chalk. Chalk is overrated anyhow.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Wirelessly posted

^ good advice here.

Paul_E_D

definitely not as expensive as motorcycle racing. You depend on the quality of your gear as much as the helmet on your head. Don't skimp on rock climbing gear.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Plenty of good advice above, though I've found that ems has had a poor selection recently.

I'd add - spend the money required to get a harness with fast-adjust buckles.

Last edited by scottfromboston; 04-19-13 at 11:03 PM.
    ~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

I'll go through my stuff when I get home tonight. I know I've got a petzel harness, 2 ascenders, a petzel helmet, some misc hardware left. Sold all my ropes a while back. I think it's time to sell the rest of it now.

Don't buy used shoes. Everyone's footwork is different so they wear down and break in very differently for every one. You want the flex and support to be located where YOUR feet put them.

+1 for chalk is overrated. I rarely use it. And only ever do "Just because it's there".

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Cages: Ford Excursion
    Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Lifer

Part of the reason im trying to go used is i simply dont know all the equipment nuances. the rental gear im using are evolv trek shoes, Black diamond harness and a random chalk bag. They seem fine but im not sure if they are right for me. There isnt alot of gear i can try before i buy so i might be missing out on some great gear. used would possibly allow me to try some other types and find what works for me.
    The shoe situation is what really has me in a bind. How do you know whats right for you unless your climbing in them. I understand there are different stlyes for different climbs but its really hard to tell the difference even going to stores. I can find cheap madrock and evolv shoes online that seem decent but with the sizing issues and different styles i cant really do online shopping. Ill admit the ones i try in the stores kinda all feel the same but sizing is all over the place. Id imagine i will end up with the evolv's im renting just because i know what they are but im also possibly limiting myself.

i somewaht agree on the chalk but i do find i use it from time to time. As a new guy when i get up to about 20ft my hands get really clammy so i kinda need it to get climbing again. Im sure that once im used to climbing i wont use it as much but for now i view it as a needed item.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    I'll go through my stuff when I get home tonight. I know I've got a petzel harness, 2 ascenders, a petzel helmet, some misc hardware left. Sold all my ropes a while back. I think it's time to sell the rest of it now.
    Let me know what you find. Anything would help. I see alot of good things about petzel stuff but yet to have seen any. Not alot of selection by me.

i have a GriGri2 that i use as a control descent device. its not a bad device, it just requires more effort than i need to use while working. its only been used ~5 times. id probably let it go for $85

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Here's what I've got:

Perzel Corax harness. Size 2 (m-xl) in blue/gray. Like new. Used for top rope and tower rappelling. No falls on it or frays/tears.

Kong Magic helmet. Yellow/marbled color/design. No cracks, chips, or pits.

Cassin aluminum 8. Some surface wear, no cracks or falls. Black color

Black Diamond ATC. green color. Slight wear on the inside of the channels. Otherwise in great shape. Used for some rappels. Mostly to belay.

2 Petzel ascenders, 1 yellow, 1 blue. Opposite sides. Blue one has some surface scratches from rubbing a wood tower. Yellow one is practically new. No falls on either.

Sickle chalk bag with refillable ball.

Ill get a picture up in a bit. If you or anyone is interested, we can talk prices. Ill have to try to figure that out.

If you want any more specific pictures, let me know.

Pm sent on acsenders

Lifer

pm sent on harness and belay and bag.

ps that is helmet looks like an overipe banana

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    ps that is helmet looks like an overipe banana
    Hahaha. I was an instructor at my school and needed a different color helmet from the generic petzel ones the students used. This was the first one I found. I had a red petzel that I got rid of a while back because this one was a little flashy.

So...the harness, ATC, and chalk bag have been sold to boosten. (Thanks Man!!).

Is anyone else interested in any of the other stuff?

Lifer

Got my gear in the other day. all in great shape.