Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starter Race / Track Bike - 600cc ~'03-'08 with all the goodies.

Starter Race / Track Bike - 600cc ~'03-'08 with all the goodies.

I'm looking for a good bike that's track ready. - Probably a 600

I've got about a dozen track days under my belt - about half and half on an 1199 and a motard. For a reference point on skill level - Last year I was on the faster side of intermediate riders at PRS on the 1199 and this year I've broken into the 1:48's at NYST on the motard (which I guess is pretty good, considering I never hit anything higher than 105 on the front straight)

I'll probably keep the motard 'cause it's a blast but sometimes I just want to get out and get up to 'normal' speed on the straights, etc. I'm getting really tempted to take the 1199 back out, but I figure I can buy a decent track bike for the price of one Pani-lowside.

Also thinking about getting into racing this year or next.

I know I might get a lot of suggestions to get an SV 650, but I don't think I need an absolute starter bike and a buddy of mine recently moved up to an in-line 600 from his SV & was complaining about getting blown away on the straights at Thunderbolt last year.

I don't really care if it looks pristine, 'cause I know it's likely to see the asphalt at some point, but I would like it to have most of the goodies people like to put on a track bike - steering damper, track fairings, rearsets, slipper clutch, quick shift / traction control (I know, I know, when you were starting out traction control was called your right wrist, and probably not necessary on a 600...but it's sooo much cheaper to get a bike with it on already rather than add it later).

I'm thinking something like this...only closer than Wisconsin...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GSX-R...3D151326482708

Matter of fact, I'm tempted to put in a bid on that GSX-R, but I know how silly that would be sight-unseen....

Let me know if you know anybody who knows anybody. I figure ~$3K for something in the '05 range, but could spend a little more, or a little less.

Also welcome any commentary on what someone at my level should be looking for in a track bike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Ductard; 06-18-14 at 09:36 PM.

Re: Starter Race / Track Bike - 600cc ~'03-'08 with all the goodies.

I don't think your price is realistic for what you are looking to be honest.
    You are probably at the 5k+ side of things.

Get a TZ250. They crash well and their values have been climbing lately. They don't need a slipper clutch either. And they are rather bulletproof. And easy on tires since they weigh just over 200 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Not entirely true, young man.

OP- I've got a 2002 F4i that is well within your price range and comes with plenty of spares.Search for that thread if youd like. Yes it's on the older side but nothing has walked away on me on the straights with the exception being VIR

I think Jim wants $3500 for his 06 GSXR

CCS #31

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/show...=107106&page=2

This is a smoking deal if you are willing to drive to get it.

I didn't see that you actually mentioned that you weren't willing to drive to Wisconsin. This one is in Wisconsin too.

Last edited by Jewcati; 06-19-14 at 08:38 AM.

I have a ninja650 I'm casually thinking of letting go.
    Only because I'm casually thinking of hanging up track riding altogether, and focusing fully on dirty racing.
    It would certainly be under your budget.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    http://www.triumph675.net/forum/show...=107106&page=2

This is a smoking deal if you are willing to drive to get it.

I didn't see that you actually mentioned that you weren't willing to drive to Wisconsin. This one is in Wisconsin too.
    Thanks for the lead. Not necessarily opposed to driving to Wisconsin - or having it shipped for ~$600, but either option will add to the cost of the bike. Especially if I make the drive to find out there's something I don't like about the bike. I bought my first Ducati on ebay from a guy in Key West, but I had a friend in Miami that drove down to check it out beforehand....

This Triumph isn't outside of my budget...Just curious though - if it's such a smoking deal then why's he been trying to get rid of it since last August?

Also, Is there anything I should know about Triumphs before sticking my toe into that water? My experience with Euro bikes (Ducati & KTM) is that they're more expensive to maintain / fix than their Japanese counterparts. Also, is there any implication re: running in any of the race classes if I have a 650 (or 636) vs. a 600?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I have a ninja650 I'm casually thinking of letting go.
    Only because I'm casually thinking of hanging up track riding altogether, and focusing fully on dirty racing.
    It would certainly be under your budget.
    Will PM you if you have any pics to send - also what year is the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by MaRce1o View Post
    I think Jim wants $3500 for his 06 GSXR
    Could be right up my alley, how do I get in touch with Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Fair enough, although there seem to be some who disagree with you. $5K is getting towards the top of what I was looking to spend, but I could probably swing that without too many ramen noodle meals in my future....

It's an 06 chassis (set up) and an 08 stock motor.
    It's a race bike, so it ain't pretty.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Get a TZ250. They crash well and their values have been climbing lately. They don't need a slipper clutch either. And they are rather bulletproof. And easy on tires since they weigh just over 200 pounds.
    ...interesting thought.

I'm not opposed but last year at Thunderbolt, Eric Wood made some comment about having to spend a lot of time working on a 2 stroke race bike, when one of his instructor rode by on one....right as the guy spun up the back wheel on exit and almost high-sided. Kind of highlighted 2 of the drawbacks for me.

I rode a KX80 around the motocross track back in the day, so I am well aware of how weird a 2 stroke's power curve is. On the other point - I'm not the type of guy who can (as of yet) rebuild his own engine, although I've googled it and the 2 stroke rebuild doesn't look too bad.

I guess one other question is - how would riding this bike impact which race classes I could enter, and if there's a specific 2-stroke class is it super-competitive (given that there probably aren't a lot of casual racers that go out and buy one)?

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Not entirely true, young man.

OP- I've got a 2002 F4i that is well within your price range and comes with plenty of spares.Search for that thread if youd like. Yes it's on the older side but nothing has walked away on me on the straights with the exception being VIR
    Butcher, I took a look at the thread and might be interested - where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    It's an 06 chassis (set up) and an 08 stock motor.
    It's a race bike, so it ain't pretty.
    Let me know if you got my PM.

On a related note - If you're thinking about getting back into dirt, and you've got a KTM, I'm wondering if you could use any of the OEM stuff that came with my motard? If so, might make sense for me to include that so you can knock a couple bucks off the price....

Its an '02 520 SX - I have wheels, tires, triple clamp, front brake, etc.

I bought the bike off of Tricky Mike and he included the MX stuff but I don't think I'll ever change it back to dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Butcher, I took a look at the thread and might be interested - where are you located?
    He's in Epsom NH. ~25 minutes from NHMS.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Pm received. I already have a dirty lump, fully ready to go. I'd have to do some homework to see if the wheels fit, but I might be interested in working something out.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

I've seen Chippers bike. I think it's a fine choice for a track bike, "starter" or otherwise.

But an SV650 is off the radar because it's an "absolute starter bike", but a Ninja 650 is good to go?

Again, I'd strongly consider chipy's Ninjer were I you. But only because both of those 650cc twins should be on your radar.

..Other advice; buy something setup with goodies. (Like Chips') Don't buy a beat up stock bike for nearly as much and then go broke buying the upgrades and tuning. AFAIK they all need upgrades and tuning.

I think the 675 is less finicky than a Ducati, having had many ducatis. The parts are not as cheap as jap bikes, but they seem to be a little better than the ducs.

If you are willing to go to 6k, it opens up a lot of options for finding a well set up 675.

I enjoy the 675, the triple engine is unique, and I think going from a duc to an inline 4, you might feel like you are missing something . NOT saying inline 4 is bad, just a different world.

The 675 also falls in the same middleweight class as a gsxr 600 or Kawai 636.

You are more than welcome to try mine out next trackday as long as you promise not to endo it

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=144010

This one looks good and is close. You could probably get a deal. With 2k into it you could have a hell of a bike

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    But an SV650 is off the radar because it's an "absolute starter bike", but a Ninja 650 is good to go?
    Actually, didn't realize the ninja was a 2 cylinder. I knew I was going to wind up in this discussion - I'm sure there's a Pro's vs. Cons of inline 4 vs. V-twin on this forum somewhere.

But one thing I'm curious about is I've actually heard the class that all the SV's run in at Loudon is actually more competitive b/c so many guys have the freaking things. Any truth behind that?

..Other advice; buy something setup with goodies. (Like Chips') Don't buy a beat up stock bike for nearly as much and then go broke buying the upgrades and tuning. AFAIK they all need upgrades and tuning.
    No doubt. It only takes a couple minutes of looking at race bikes to figure out that you can buy them set up a lot cheaper than you can set them up yourself....

Are you suggesting my bike is a beat up stock bike that needs goodies?

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    I think the 675 is less finicky than a Ducati, having had many ducatis. The parts are not as cheap as jap bikes, but they seem to be a little better than the ducs.

If you are willing to go to 6k, it opens up a lot of options for finding a well set up 675.
    Great. Long as you promise to be the one to explain to my future children that we can't afford college because back in the day, daddy had a thing for crashing expensive european motorcycles

Last edited by Ductard; 06-19-14 at 05:47 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Are you suggesting my bike is a beat up stock bike that needs goodies?
    NO! Not at all! My goal was simply to pass that little bit of advice on. NESR gave me that advice. I think it served me well. I think the OP should have it too. Nothing more, nothing less. It is completely independant of the bikes offered for sale here.

In my attempt to point out that the SV650 and Ninja 650 are both fine choices without shitting on Chip's FS offer was not an attempt to shit on your offer.

OP: I've not seen bergs' bike. But I have met him and he is a solid person. I'm sure his is a fine choice too.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    But one thing I'm curious about is I've actually heard the class that all the SV's run in at Loudon is actually more competitive b/c so many guys have the freaking things. Any truth behind that?
    More competitive? FuctifIknow. I'm not a racer. I'm not all that fast. (Actually slow as hell.) I'm relatively new at this ("discovered" the track in '12). I have not read the LRRS rulebook, nor do I understand the classes. And I have a strange affinity for smaller bikes.

I've also never run anywhere but NHMS. And as Oxx so delicately put it, I've never seen a green flag drop in anger.

But I believe there are strong advantages to the SV650 over a middleweight I4. I believe they are excellent track bikes. And I believe they are a fine choice if you want to go racing here in New England.

I started shopping for a track toy last year. I wound up with an SV and it has treated me superbly. You can read more here.

No worries, bubba.

My .02 is:
    I've ridden a few bikes in a track setting over the years and always came back to the scream of an I4 600. There's just something about the wail of 14,000 rpm that stirs me, but that's my affinity for what I consider a small bike.

I raced an 800ss (thank you Scottie) and it was such a departure from what I was used to that I wasn't as eager to go 100%. The redline came up too soon and there wasn't a cushion of available revs to downshift into. Again, it was a whole lot different than what I was used to but I'm glad that I was given the opportunity and grateful for the folks who put their trust in me to pilot their bikes around.

I guess what I mean to say is, go with something you are used to and know that there is competition in every facet of racing.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 06-19-14 at 07:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast