Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WTB: Ice racing tires (Fredette or comparable) - 18 front / 21 rear

xxaarraa

WTB: Ice racing tires (Fredette or comparable) - 18 front / 21 rear

I already have a search filter going on eBay, but thought I'd try here as well. Looking for fredette or comparable ice racing tires - 18 front and 21 rear. Please PM if you got a set, thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: WTB: Ice racing tires (Fredette or comparable) - 18 front / 21 rear

I think the 21 rear is gonna be hard to find, unless you meant 21" front & 18" rear? KB is selling an 18" rear on here somewhere.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    I think the 21 rear is gonna be hard to find, unless you meant 21" front & 18" rear? KB is selling an 18" rear on here somewhere.
    dude, that shows how much I have forgotten about my dirt bike since I have only ridden it twice in last two years! yeah, 18 front and 21 rear.

hahahahhaaaa.....

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

I do you have an 18 inch rear for sale but New Hampshire Bubba has first dibs on it.

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    dude, that shows how much I have forgotten about my dirt bike since I have only ridden it twice in last two years! yeah, 18 front and 21 rear.
    I don't have 21/18's, but I am willing to let you help me mount my 21/19 Fredette's so that you're all practiced up when you do find some.

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Ice tires new studded with kold kutter tire liners

Doesn't seem like a bad price, I'm thinking of pinging them to see if they can keep that price while using Kold Kutter Kanadian screws...

xxaarraa

I think I'm going to screw my own to start with. (that sounds weird, I know). If I do get into this hobby and start becoming competitive, I'll drop the cash on fredettes. Going to order kold kutters and go at it myself with the help of YouTube.

How to Install Kold Kutter Ice Racing Screws & Ic…: How to Install Kold Kutter Ice Racing Screws & Ice Master Tire Liners - YouTube

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Cool, let us know how they turn out and where you are going to ride.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

I think I'm going to screw my own to start with. (that sounds weird, I know). If I do get into this hobby and start becoming competitive, I'll drop the cash on fredettes. Going to order kold kutters and go at it myself with the help of YouTube.

How to Install Kold Kutter Ice Racing Screws & Ic…: How to Install Kold Kutter Ice Racing Screws & Ice Master Tire Liners - YouTube
    Make sure you add up what you're going to spend on tires and the screws (apparently you have to get a lot of them).

If I recall, you have to spend ~$200 or more on tires and screws to get something that *probably* won't work very well.

Just my 2 cents, as I went through the same decision process before buying Fredettes.

I'll even donate my knobbies to the cause, but I think they're 21/19's and I don't think that would help you.

LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

xxaarraa

Thanks for the offer ductard.

Screws are about fiddy bucks I believe. I've already got brand new knobbies on there now. Definitely not ice-specific kendas but pretty good knobbies. If I get into it, I'll surely go all in (I'm prone to going all in on all my hobbies ) but just to get a feel for it, I'm going homemade to start. Definitely won't be as good as fredettes.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 11-25-14 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks for the offer ductard.

Screws are about fiddy bucks I believe. I've already got brand new knobbies on there now. Definitely not ice-specific kendas but pretty good knobbies. If I get into it, I'll surely go all in (I'm prone to going all in on all my hobbies ) but just to get a feel for it, I'm going homemade to start. Definitely won't be as good as fredettes.
    Alright, my other offer would be to let you try out my bike to "get a feel for it." I'm not gonna push that idea very hard though, 'cause I'd rather have another buddy out there on the ice anyways :-)

LRRS 919

Sounds cold

I made a set of knobs last winter with takeoffs. I used 5/8" in the back and 1/2" in the front and a tube of 5200.
    I did not build these for ice (even though those are koldkutters) but for screwing around in the snowy woods.
    They worked pissah, and didn't spit a single screw. Actually, since they were mostly ridden in sand, they still look brand new.

Winter racing was sick. Super fun:

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Since I already had the tires, total cost was about $50.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Since I already had the tires, total cost was about $50.
    Sweet! What's the goop around the screws?

Last edited by xxaarraa; 11-26-14 at 07:33 AM.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Sounds cold
    Just throw some knobbies and screws on your cruiser and come ride. You got heated gear plugs right?

3M 5200 Polyurethane Adhesive/Sealant

Chip mentioned to me to let the tires "cure" for about a week, after applying the 5200 adhesive.

Personally, I use home made "tire liners" with 1" long Ice screws for Ice tires (Kenda K335 Ice Rear & Bridgestone ED11 Front Knobby). The 3M 5200 would probably help for any screws that aren't long enough to penetrate a tire knob into tire liner. If you still haven't had any luck finding "Fredette Ice tires", I can help you build up a set.

Last edited by wheelieman14; 11-26-14 at 07:55 AM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Make sure you add up what you're going to spend on tires and the screws (apparently you have to get a lot of them).
    $433.72 plus shipping, according to my math. That includes tires, liners, x1000 #12 1" "kanadian" screws, and Moose wraps.

I'd have hit 'order' by now.. but I am not confident that is enough screws or the correct screw for what I wanna do. I'm thinking of going ahead and ordering the tires, liners and such now and figuring the screws out later.

As bob said, it's 5200.
    It's a marine silicone, but it's really gnarly.
    Takes a while to cure, especially in the cold. Wear rubber gloves.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

xxaarraa

Wheelieman and chipper - thanks a lot for the useful tips.

I also got a ton of VERY good information and tips from gregp via PM. I'll post the info here after checking with him to make sure its OK.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 11-26-14 at 10:00 AM.

I had a blast out on the ice last winter, riding the KDX200 (was originally gregp's, then I bought it from xxaarraa). I replied back to your PM xxaarraa... If my hand was healed from UCL thumb ligament repair on 11/3, I'd be planning to get out on the ice this winter on my '01 CR250R.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieman14 View Post
    I had a blast out on the ice last winter, riding the KDX200 (was originally gregp's, then I bought it from xxaarraa). I replied back to your PM xxaarraa... If my hand was healed from UCL thumb ligament repair on 11/3, I'd be planning to get out on the ice this winter on my '01 CR250R.
    Dude, I didn't realize it was you! I'm glad you are getting great use out of the kdx. Its one of those bikes I should have kept, since I swapped it for the klx solely for doing the TLH but never got around to it.

NESR is funny, especially when you run into folks you bought and sold from, without realizing it!

Lifer

Post away, xxaarraa. Ice riding setup really depends on how competitive you want to be. If you just want to have some fun, and rip some nice, long power slides on the ice, then you can just screw whatever tires you have (providing the knobs are tall enough to prevent the screws from going all the way through the carcass). If you want to race competitively, then you will want to buy Kenda Ice tires, and duplicate Fredette's set up - or something similar.
    1/2" long screws are the norm for the front tires, and I usually ran 5/8" long screws in the rear tire. Again, serious racers will use liners, and run 1" long screws that are driven all the way through the tires carcass, and into the heavy liner.

Dude, I didn't realize it was you! I'm glad you are getting great use out of the kdx. Its one of those bikes I should have kept, since I swapped it for the klx solely for doing the TLH but never got around to it.

NESR is funny, especially when you run into folks you bought and sold from, without realizing it!
    I know that Chip said his weren't made for the ice, so I'm not knocking the construction, but it looks like the screw heads are just pointed in whatever direction they happened to be when the screw was fully sunk. I'm guessing he didn't care b/c as he said, they were for woods riding.

In contrast, I wanted to point out that on the Fredette's, and most of the Youtube videos I watched, it said that the slot in the screw should be perpendicular to the force you're trying to generate.

For example, on the center of the rear tire, the slots in the screw heads should be perpendicular to the direction of travel (100% drive focused).

On the very edge of the front tire, the slots in the screw should be parallel to the direction of travel (100% cornering focused).

In-between, as you go from center to the side of the tire, the screw patterns transition from drive to cornering focused, obviously the rear tire has more of a bias towards a drive focus.

This is one of those little details most people probably miss when they try to build their own. After all, there's no "magic" in building them, probably just a handful of that type of thing that you have to keep in mind.

You're welcome to look at my Fredette's sometime to try to emulate the pattern, although you might have to get creative if your knobbies have a different pattern than those do to start out with.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ductard; 11-29-14 at 01:54 PM.
    LRRS 919

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast