Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

WTB 160 rear take-off at NYST this weekend

WTB 160 rear take-off at NYST this weekend

I had a nice stockpile goin that I have somehow burned through before June. Anyway, I am a bit concerned that my rear is not going to last through this weekend. NYST told me that they do NOT have new 160s, so I am hoping that someone has a decent take-off they can bring up for me. Preferably Dunlop DOT, could also do Pirelli DOT. Let me know watcha got. Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

xxaarraa

Re: WTB 160 rear take-off at NYST this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I had a nice stockpile goin that I have somehow burned through before June. Anyway, I am a bit concerned that my rear is not going to last through this weekend. NYST told me that they do NOT have new 160s, so I am hoping that someone has a decent take-off they can bring up for me. Preferably Dunlop DOT, could also do Pirelli DOT. Let me know watcha got. Thanks
    Have a ton of 190/200s, no 160s man.

I think you and Ductard need to duke it out to decide who gets the 160.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Have a ton of 190/200s, no 160s man.

I think you and Ductard need to duke it out to decide who gets the 160.
    Had I seen this before the weekend I wouldn't have had all that helpful "what to do if I can't get there before 10pm" advice for him. :-p

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

As it turned out, my rear had adequate tread for the 1/8 of a lap I completed.

As it turned out, my rear had adequate tread for the 1/8 of a lap I completed.

If you want front/rear, check with Sav. He has a pretty good set but I only need a rear and he's not wanting to split the set at this point.

LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

I was only looking for yesterday. I am probably just going to buy new for my next set. I also need to stop switching brands because the profile makes a huge difference on geometry and I am not wanting to play with ride height every round.

I have multiple dunlop takeoffs you can rummage through. 2 rears, 4 fronts.

xxaarraa

I was only looking for yesterday. I am probably just going to buy new for my next set. I also need to stop switching brands because the profile makes a huge difference on geometry and I am not wanting to play with ride height every round.
    I always wondered about this so genuinely innocent question - exactly how much difference does tire profile make to chassis geometry? I mean, the difference between different tire profiles has to be in the mm, so in the hands of non-pro hobby riders, does tire profile make any meaningful difference to suspension setup?

I always wondered about this so genuinely innocent question - exactly how much difference does tire profile make to chassis geometry? I mean, the difference between different tire profiles has to be in the mm, so in the hands of non-pro hobby riders, does tire profile make any meaningful difference to suspension setup?
    I have told this story a few times:

I had PK set up my geometry for Dunlops. It felt awesome, great turn in, etc. My rain tires at the time yielded roughly the same geometry as my Dunlops, with no noticeable difference in turn-in. I eventually switched to Pirelli SC2s with the same stated profiles. The first day I went to ride on them, it rained. I ran the rains all morning, then switched to the Pirellis for the afternoon. I did one lap and pitted in, went straight to Tony and said something was wrong with my bike, it wouldn't turn. I troubleshooted for a few sessions, played with pressures, took my steering damper off, etc. The bike would not turn! I almost ran into the tires a few times on pit out. I eventually realized it was just the change in tire profile, and I could turn OK after hard braking with the forks compressed. When I put Dunlops back on, problem solved. Turned in like a charm. I was a very inexperienced rider at the time, so this was not due to any refinement in my sense of feel for the bike. It would have been plainly obvious to anyone riding the bike with each setup. So yes, I am a believer that A) actual tire profiles can vary wildly across brands, even holding the stated profile constant, and B) differences in tire profile can have a significant impact on perceived handling characteristics due to geometry.

Did someone have a bit of a cold tire crash this weekend?

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I +1 that question.

I originally thought it was BS when I heard that suspension setup is tire specific.

As I'm getting more "feel" for the tires, I could now see it being a fine tuning detail that a rider even at say the expert club-racer level could feel.

Talking to a suspension guy on a related issue, what he stressed was more in the difference in the stiffness of the carcass (i.e - "those springs are a little too stiff for you, especially on Dunlops, with Pirelli's you might be able to get away with it.) - Disclaimer: he also sells Pirelli's

LRRS 919

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Talking to a suspension guy on a related issue, what he stressed was more in the difference in the stiffness of the carcass (i.e - "those springs are a little too stiff for you, especially on Dunlops, with Pirelli's you might be able to get away with it.) - Disclaimer: he also sells Pirelli's
    This explanation could also work with my story above. Whatever the cause, rear ride height (relative to the front) felt lower with the Pirellis.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Did someone have a bit of a cold tire crash this weekend?
    Yes, at shockingly low speed. I remember thinking, immediately before it happened, that I was going so slow it would be dangerous if someone came up behind me at pace (I joined the session late).

Yes, at shockingly low speed.
    Having had a low side at really, really low speeds... my sympathies. My shoulder is still recovering from it.