Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

WTB: 1999 to 2002 SV650 CDI box

WTB: 1999 to 2002 SV650 CDI box

As the title says looking for a working CDI box for a 1999 to 2002 SV650. My track bike seems to be having some issues and it might be the CDI box. If anyone has a spare that works kicking around let me know.

Would like to try and have one by Friday of this week (Yes I know its really soon track day monday).

I will be up at LRRS round 7 Sunday to help some friends, if one of the racers has one they would like to part with and can pick up there to make things easier.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Re: WTB: 1999 to 2002 SV650 CDI box

I have one one and it's already in a USPS box ready to go. Pm me and we can work out the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper897 View Post
    As the title says looking for a working CDI box for a 1999 to 2002 SV650. My track bike seems to be having some issues and it might be the CDI box. If anyone has a spare that works kicking around let me know.

Would like to try and have one by Friday of this week (Yes I know its really soon track day monday).

I will be up at LRRS round 7 Sunday to help some friends, if one of the racers has one they would like to part with and can pick up there to make things easier.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

What kind of issues? Just cranking over and over and over? If so, there may be a couple of things to check:

coils
    ignition resistor
    spark plugs (use ONLY NGK CR9E, NOT the E or IX)

All of the above let go at some point on my 99. For the resistor, I just removed the ignition switch and made it a keyless ignition. But you have to put a 100ohm, .5 watt resistor somewhere in-line. (shown below going into the CDI box)

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Just put in brand new coils.

some of whats going on here gen 1 sv 650 ignition coils

but in short I was riding at Thompson with TTD on 9/22 went out for second session and one lap to go I noticed the bike bucked a bit and stuttered so I pitted in since I thought motor was going. Let the bike cool and went out for next session. When I went to leave garage the bike stalled, I have stalled before for not giving enough throttle, I fired back up and went to hot pit, on the way the bike was hesitating bucking, popping. did a lap around the garage and still doing it. Thought the carbs might need to be cleared so I went out anyways, it was rough up till about 5000 ish rpm then the bike ran like normal. It will idle in neutral all day long but as soon as its in gear it hesitates and dies.

Hence the new coils, talking to Kurtz and Draghi about your SV and how it eats coils that sent me to fix those first. After replacement still runs like crap so Im cleaning the carbs and have new bowl gaskets on the way and will be in hand tomorrow.

But missing piece of puzzle is the CDI box. It can die and will die but I want to salvage the track day on Monday.

To be honest, I've been using the same coils for 3 seasons now. I only had one season where I was having issues and replaced them 3 times. That was the same season that I removed the ignition and rewired some of the ignition wiring.

Try changing the plugs, since the SVs are pretty picky about needing a good fat white spark. I also started using a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 (the higher amperage) battery.

|

Lifer

There is a guy on SV-Rider that may be able to help you out. He's been buying up a bunch of gen 1s and parting them out recently. Let me see if I can maybe get you two in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by scottfromboston View Post
    I have one one and it's already in a USPS box ready to go. Pm me and we can work out the details.
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    To be honest, I've been using the same coils for 3 seasons now. I only had one season where I was having issues and replaced them 3 times. That was the same season that I removed the ignition and rewired some of the ignition wiring.

Try changing the plugs, since the SVs are pretty picky about needing a good fat white spark. I also started using a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 (the higher amperage) battery.
    I will see if I can get some plugs in by friday, might be hard since I dont think there are too many places that carry ones for the SV. Might be able to get some CR8E's, not sure on the 9's. Im running CR8E IX right now and they have worked well all season.

Lifer

I have the original plugs I pulled from my DL650 (dual plug) when I upgraded to iridiums. Denso U24ESR-N, which I gather are equivalent to CR8E. This is a hotter plug than the 9E Chuck is recommending here. Also, they are used. But if you want them for debugging and trial 'n error. Lemme know. I'll be at the track this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I have the original plugs I pulled from my DL650 (dual plug) when I upgraded to iridiums. Denso U24ESR-N, which I gather are equivalent to CR8E. This is a hotter plug than the 9E Chuck is recommending here. Also, they are used. But if you want them for debugging and trial 'n error. Lemme know. I'll be at the track this weekend.
    Bring them with you, I will probably end up using them to trouble shoot. Im hoping to have this sorted out before I come up Sunday morning to help some friends with there bikes. Just let me know where your pitting and I will swing by, at least to say hi and hopefully to report that I have a working bike.

Lifer

They are in my box 'o spares.
    I have no idea where I'll be pitting. Bright orange bike, ugly owner. You know what to look for.

Bubs will be in either Center 2 or Center 15 (which are back to back, across the garage).

If you can get someone to pick them up, I have a box of CR9E plugs.

|

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    If you can get someone to pick them up, I have a box of CR9E plugs.
    Snowman you have a PM

Last edited by Viper897; 10-02-14 at 10:41 AM.

Scottfromboston and Snowman you both have another PM.

As for what was wrong with the bike:

Rebuilt the carbs, that still didn't help
    Ran it off my stand alone fuel bottle to make sure it wasnt a delivery issue, that didnt help
    checked the sync of the carbs, front was way behind, brought them into sync, still didnt help

What was the fix?

Side stand switch which I have the wires crossed on, came undone. I had a few friends suggest this but never thought to check it cause on my gen 2 the bike immediatly cuts off when you put it into gear, on the gen 1 the wires would touch just enough to not die right away.

Thank you for everyone's response to this post. Big thanks to Scottfromboston, Snowman, nhbubba. I owe you guys. And jasnmar for pointing me in the right direction to find nhbubba come sunday.

Lifer

No shit! Sucks that you missed half the day in CT over that.

At least it works now.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    No shit! Sucks that you missed half the day in CT over that.

At least it works now.
    I only made it two sessions and a lap. I was stupid for not having the jumper out of the way of the chain, it rubber and came apart.

I will say as many ups and downs as there have been this season, I am learning a lot about the bike and riding at the track in general.

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Glad you got it figured out! I always try to follow the old diagnosis adages of "simplest problem first" and "look at the last thing you effed with" but it can be hard when the problem is intermittent.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~Scott
    2020 SMC-R