Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

WTB cr500 lighting or flywheel from cr250 or similar

Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar

WTB cr500 lighting or flywheel from cr250 or similar

I just picked up a '96 cr500 supermoto and I have intentions of dirt and street riding it, to trails only. To pass inspection I need a stator and voltage regulator and wiring from a cr250 which has lighting, I think 1988+. I already have the tail light and head light I will be using, but the stator and regulator setup hopefully I can get from somebody on here. I read a lot of people who do this conversion use an entire cr250 light setup, flywheel and everything down to the CDI. That flywheel is smaller so I don't want to change to all of that other stuff unless I am told otherwise. So hopefully a viewer has an idea about my request and can guide me in the right direction, at least for the stator coil.

WTB cr500 lighting or flywheel from cr250 or similar-cr500sm-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    current: 06 zx6r, 03 450exc
    sold: 01 gsxr750, 01 RC51, 96 cr500, 98 superhawk, 00 sv650, 78 cb750, 98 dr350, 74 cb125

Re: WTB cr500 lighting or flywheel from cr250 or similar

That thing is NASTY..................... i think trail tech has some shit for it not 100% sure thou. I would Love to Ride it also .......and you ever check out the Service Honda's CR500 too real tasty rides.

http://www.trailtech.net/electrical_systems_honda.html

this give me FULL WOOD......and if you need any honda OEM parts I would go thru them. I found them to be a good price and they carry a tons of shit..

http://servicehonda.com/honda-2010-models/500af

Lifer

I had a 1995 CR500 that was street registered, but I did not have a lighting coil. I simply mounted 2 - 9v batteries behind the number plate (wired in series for 18v) and ran everything off of them. The lights only had to work for 2 seconds to get an inspection....

The cr250 does not come with any lighting capabilities whatsoever. It's a mx bike that only supports a spark plug.
    Your best bet to make it legitimate is either trail tech or Baja designs. They might not have the stuff listed, but call them and they'll likely sell you everything you need. Plan on $750-1000 depending on how fancy you want it.

That thing looks like a beast. I'd love to swing a leg over it for some shred.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I had a 1995 CR500 that was street registered, but I did not have a lighting coil. I simply mounted 2 - 9v batteries behind the number plate (wired in series for 18v) and ran everything off of them. The lights only had to work for 2 seconds to get an inspection....
    That crossed my mind, even a battery larger for that just to get to places. Does NH require a running light at all times? I understand a brake light at all times, but what about for headlights and tail lighs on motorcycles?

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    The cr250 does not come with any lighting capabilities whatsoever. It's a mx bike that only supports a spark plug.
    Your best bet to make it legitimate is either trail tech or Baja designs. They might not have the stuff listed, but call them and they'll likely sell you everything you need. Plan on $750-1000 depending on how fancy you want it.

That thing looks like a beast. I'd love to swing a leg over it for some shred.
    From the amount of information I have read, both the CR500 and CR250 at some point came with trail lights, enough to power a sole headlight. If I can get my hands on that, well that would be ncie. I will contact those companies you reccommend and hopefully not have to look much further. The OEM honda stuff is just appealing to me, if you can understand. But I guess it is all hidden under the side covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    That thing is NASTY..................... i think trail tech has some shit for it not 100% sure thou. I would Love to Ride it also .......and you ever check out the Service Honda's CR500 too real tasty rides.

http://www.trailtech.net/electrical_systems_honda.html

this give me FULL WOOD......and if you need any honda OEM parts I would go thru them. I found them to be a good price and they carry a tons of shit..

http://servicehonda.com/honda-2010-models/500af
    Thanks for the links. def going to check that out. The bike is a ton of fun so far but I need new sumo tires because I did a big burnout and also the front was already worn. haha. I also just spent over $200 at the dealer
    for street legal accessories, like brake switch, kick stand (moose?? I think it is bolty on), and a few other trinkets. I think I'm heading in the right direction, except this whole lighting ordeal.

sold: 01 gsxr750, 01 RC51, 96 cr500, 98 superhawk, 00 sv650, 78 cb750, 98 dr350, 74 cb125

Lifer

$80:
    http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/lighti...ting-coil.html

The Stealy is only 40 watts. The Electrex is 50 watts. Baja Designs is 55 watts. For complete street legality, you will be looking for closer to 90 watts. JMO. E-Line (Kevin Hines) used to sell a 100w x 2 system, but I do not see it on their site any more. You may want to call and ask them about it....

Last edited by gregp; 07-10-12 at 12:56 PM.

Holy SHAT.............nice and get an Acrebis Cyclops light they can be retrofitted with HID's and look sick

It's not goin to get any easier than that. It won't run a dot lamp and all the fixings, but it should get you by the sticker booth and provide some practical lighting.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

The Service Honda full system looks really nice, but at almost $500, it is very expensive, and *Unavailable*. :-(
    http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/ignition.html

Last edited by gregp; 07-10-12 at 01:02 PM.

Eline is your best choice for a lighting coil, but they aren't made anymore for the 500 and the last one I've seen on ebay sold for $700 (just the lighting coil). All of the other lighting setups that claim 40-90 watts only put out that kind of power at 9000rpm, which is great if you ride WOT at night. My best advice is to get a proper battery and make all your lights LED. Most inspections require that your lights run for 20 minutes with the bike off in case you break down on the side of the road at night... people will see you. They usually just check that the lights are on when the bike is off. Your station may vary.

I run a Shorai Lithium battery, LED brake/tail, drl and I have a 55W halogen that can be switched on in case I need it to get home after dark. I have some pics of it here: http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/v...ic.php?t=11709

$80:
    http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/lighti...ting-coil.html

The Stealy is only 40 watts. The Electrex is 50 watts. Baja Designs is 55 watts. For complete street legality, you will be looking for closer to 90 watts. JMO. E-Line (Kevin Hines) used to sell a 100w x 2 system, but I do not see it on their site any more. You may want to call and ask them about it....
    that looks like exactly what I need right there, what is the deal with the flywheel puller and the "flywheel weight" they suggest too? not looking to be spoon-fed but that did throw me off...I think I just need the part L-19 as long as the ignition coil already functions properly right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Holy SHAT.............nice and get an Acrebis Cyclops light they can be retrofitted with HID's and look sick
    I would love to retrofit some HIDs, it has a dual-halogen setup right now but the lights look weak. I will look into that, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    It's not goin to get any easier than that. It won't run a dot lamp and all the fixings, but it should get you by the sticker booth and provide some practical lighting.
    Realistically, that is all I should need it for...daytime riding to the trails in state.

The Service Honda full system looks really nice, but at almost $500, it is very expensive, and *Unavailable*. :-(
    http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/ignition.html
    saw that...so nice! so expensive! I would pay if they had it available, this one time, I won't hold my breath though. theirs kit really is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by B440 View Post
    Eline is your best choice for a lighting coil, but they aren't made anymore for the 500 and the last one I've seen on ebay sold for $700 (just the lighting coil). All of the other lighting setups that claim 40-90 watts only put out that kind of power at 9000rpm, which is great if you ride WOT at night. My best advice is to get a proper battery and make all your lights LED. Most inspections require that your lights run for 20 minutes with the bike off in case you break down on the side of the road at night... people will see you. They usually just check that the lights are on when the bike is off. Your station may vary.

I run a Shorai Lithium battery, LED brake/tail, drl and I have a 55W halogen that can be switched on in case I need it to get home after dark. I have some pics of it here: http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/v...ic.php?t=11709
    sweet setup I will be taking some notes from that thread, that is for sure. thanks.

I've seen that some people rewind (or in my case, create) their stators to get more power out of them. does anybody have experience with that?

I found this:
    http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/boa...ic.php?t=10638

bump has anyone on here rewound their lighting stator in a bike ever?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן View Post
    I've seen that some people rewind (or in my case, create) their stators to get more power out of them. does anybody have experience with that?
    I did not rewind my stator, but I did just rewind the lighting coil on my KDX200 a couple of weekends ago. It worked great. Using 18 gauge magnet wire, the output jumped from 45 watts (stock) to around 90. All of my dual sport equipment works great now, with no battery at all.

I did not rewind my stator, but I did just rewind the lighting coil on my KDX200 a couple of weekends ago. It worked great. Using 18 gauge magnet wire, the output jumped from 45 watts (stock) to around 90. All of my dual sport equipment works great now, with no battery at all.
    where did you get magnet wire? I am going to open the side case up and see what I am working with. some of the ebay stators they have are just too weak. I could rewind one of those.

Lifer

I bought it from McMaster Carr. I bought a 300' spool, and I could have rewound my coil 5 times or more with it! I would offer it to you, but I ended up giving it to a guy from a KDX forum.

HOLY CRAP!

sorry, I'm just in awe of the incredible nature of that beast

anyways...I know there's also an LED turn signal kit that can run off the power jet circuit...if your carb is so equipped with one - is it?

it's also $134.99...so if you're looking to wind your own coils, then it might not be the most cost efficient option: http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/lighti...hting-kit.html

btw, steahly also has a 60W kit: http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/lighti...ng-system.html

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    HOLY CRAP!

sorry, I'm just in awe of the incredible nature of that beast

anyways...I know there's also an LED turn signal kit that can run off the power jet circuit...if your carb is so equipped with one - is it?

it's also $134.99...so if you're looking to wind your own coils, then it might not be the most cost efficient option: http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/lighti...hting-kit.html

btw, steahly also has a 60W kit: http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/lighti...ng-system.html
    Don't have anything fancy like that on my bike, looks expensive haha. I would be considering that 60W kit but I have a 1996, the 9V batteries aren't cutting it.

bump still looking around, think I may sell the RC or CR depending on interest.