Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

WTB: GS 500 parts

WTB: GS 500 parts

Looking for any used parts off a relatively new GS500, the naked version. Can't remember if that the S or F. Whatever ya got layin around, I'm interested in it. Mine is an 01 so the newer the better, but I think over the lifetime of the bike they were relatively unchanged.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 01-29-12 at 12:55 PM.

Re: WTB: GS 500 parts

There were a few changes to the GS500E from 89 to 2003. The gas tank has changed shape slightly, the front caliper was upgraded to the same one as the SV650, the exhaust picked up catalytic converters, and the carbs went from two circuit 33mm units to three circuit 34mm units.

What bits are you looking for?

Just want to see what people have. I know a few people here track them so I just wanted to see which stock bits may be floating around. I bought a cheap GS that I want to make into a cafe style bike.

Looking specifically for clubman bars, rearsets- factory or aftermarket, tail section, gas tank and exhaust.

Skip the clubmans, most aren't wide enough to clear the top triple tree, leaving them rotated too far forward which will quickly kill your wrist. Go with zero rise streetfigher bars, or clipons. If you watch eBay occasionally an 89 top clamp will show up which had risers and clip ons from the factory.

On the rearset side of the equation the available options are getting thinner. Woodcraft stopped production of theirs.

For the exhaust, keep your eyes out on eBay for a full Yoshimura system. It'll likely be beat and rusty but if you're willing to clean it up/get it recoated/etc it's one of the best performing options out there for this bike.

Thanks for the heads up on the bars I wasn't really sure if they would fit properly and have clearance all around. Other than gstwins.com there isn't exactly a plethora of information about aftermarket stuff on the bike. The killer part of this is that I had an '89 as my first bike before I really got "into" motorcycles. I sold it not knowing anything about it.

For the most part I know where to find the rest of the parts. The shitty thing is wading through the "xenon headlight" and "performance chip" listings to find actual parts for the bike.

Last edited by 01xj; 01-29-12 at 01:36 PM.

I have a SV650 shock that's been modified to fit a GS500E (the naked one). I think it only had 1000 miles on it when I bought it, and I ran it for a season before swapping in a Katana rear shock w/remote reservoir.

"Life is a tour, not a race... just stay out of my way when I'm touring!"

I'll definetly take that shock