Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

WTB: Kayak

WTB: Kayak

I'm looking for a 10-12' Kayak for some small river, lake, pond use, not white water. I'd prefer a sit in, versus sit on and maybe at least one storage area.

Before I go out and buy new, anyone have one they don't use anymore? Not really looking to spend over $400 but I am flexible depending on package. Yes, Ive been checking CList but people are crazy with their prices for them. I'm not paying $525 for something that was $575, 6 years ago.

TIA

Mike

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: WTB: Kayak

'02 F4i

Lifer

YES I do!

Let me get back to you with specs. I have a smaller rotamolded 'rec' kayak. I think it is a 10', but can't remember. I think it would be perfect for what you're describing.

I'm in South East NH, but could arrange an exchange somewhere on the north shore MA area.

Sounds good

The wife has a Preception that she doesn't use... (I sold mine a few years ago) Let me ask her.

Last edited by Doc; 03-14-12 at 08:52 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

check ocean state job lot, I don't know anything about kayaks but have seen them there for around $300 fora double and less for a single.

Lifer

Just checked with the missus. She is not interested in us selling it. Bit of a miscommunication between her and I on this one. I thought we were trying to get rid of it. Shows what I know.

Sorry 'bout that.

I refer you to this for the future
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ts-idiots.html

I bet you could have sold it and pocketed the money and she never would have noticed.

Last edited by idratherberidin; 03-13-12 at 07:30 PM.

Lifer

But when she did....

I'm not that hard up for cash. Fortunately.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have small kayaks and canoes

get a plastic canoe espesciallly if your doing rivers

Getting in an out of a Kayak is a PITA

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    I have small kayaks and canoes

get a plastic canoe especially if your doing rivers

Getting in an out of a Kayak is a PITA

I have a canoe and don't like it that much. That's why the title is, WTB: Kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by 7UPyours View Post
    check ocean state job lot, I don't know anything about kayaks but have seen them there for around $300 fora double and less for a single.
    i have seen these...they are short and won't track well in the water but if you're looking to go cheap it is an option...i would look on craigslist...if you go to buy a used one have them put it on the pavement or something and put some water in the seating compartment as well as any storage compartments to see if it has any holes

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Thanks for the suggestions. After doing some research my head is spinning. There are roto molded, blow molded, vacuum molded, Sinks, Sots, retired designs that get bought by a new company and made again, companys making more then one brand, ect....

At first I wanted a SINK ( Sit in Kayak, learned that today) but now maybe a SOT for ease of entry as Stromper mentioned

Old Town, Wilderness, Perception seem to be good brands. I want something that will last so I'm not afraid to spend more for quality. And I thought this would be easy...

the sit on top kayaks are def easier to hop in and out of but they also put your center of gravity higher...but if you're in fresh water that doesn't much matter...sometimes you can find them with fishing pole holders too...make sure you have a big compartment or a spot for a cooler for ice and beer ...so you can practice to keep up with this playboy...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofq_nl366VM

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Lifer

I have two 'sit in' kayaks. My name ain't Selleck. Both are perception boats and both are great. Both are relatively inexpensive plastic boats. I believe they are rotomolded.. maybe they are injection molded.. either way, they are plastic. Both are heavy, but nearly indestructible.

One is a 12' 'rec' boat with an oversized opening. It works, but is a bitch to paddle in a cross wind. We mostly use on flat water just screwing around, like Pawtuckaway or maybe the Lamprey river in Newmarket (very slow moving water). The oversized opening is nice as we can bring our miniature mutt:

This kind of boat is easy to 'outgrow'.

The other is an entry-level sea-type. I think it is a 16-footer, but can't remember. Maybe it's only 15. It has a rudder and is 50x easier to paddle, especially in swells. I've been out in Portsmouth Harbor and the surrounding areas just outside the river a few times on clam days. It does okay by me.

I'm not the strongest paddler and only good for about 5-6 miles or so before I am done. I did a 12 mile day once. My 68 year old father routinely does 20-25 mile days in a shitty Sears aluminum canoe he's had since before I was born.

We now have a bigger dog that won't fit in either boat with us. So I've been keen to dump the 'yaks and pick up a canoe. This way the 'kids' can ride in the middle. Missus apparently sees differently.

My father paddles a 19' long Current Designs uber-doober-sooper-oober made out of unubtainum or some such insanity. It weights less than either of my boats. It paddles like secks. But keep your eye on the ball; one moment not paying attention and you'll be upside down. The thing has nearly no primary stability.