Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

WTB Left Clavicle

WTB Left Clavicle

Petorious -- as a much cheaper option than an airbag suit, I've started using what is increasingly popular in the midatlantic (but less so in New England): the Hit Air vest or its competitors.

I have the Hit Air MLV-C (not the Racer version but the most popular motorcycle version).

Haven't tested it in a crash yet but spoke with several at NJMP, racers and trackday-goers alike, who have and all spoke highly of it. One said when he crashed and it deployed he felt "like he was cheating". I thought this was a succinct positive review.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by dhawks; 08-18-15 at 09:13 AM.
    /s/ Dustin
    LRRS #767
    '09 R6 / '11 848 Evo / '99 RS250

Re: WTB Left Clavicle

Pete, I wear a neck brace. Mostly protects against neck injury, but supposedly it can minimize collar bone breaks due to the fact that a lot of collarbone breaks are attributed to the chin bar of the helmet slamming into it

I have always heard that the neck braces, specifically Leatt, transfer spinal compression into the collarbones ("better to brake your collarbone than your neck!"). I have never actually bothered to evaluate these claims. The Hit vest is interesting, I have seen other vests but never that specific one. The price is not terrible.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I have always heard that the neck braces, specifically Leatt, transfer spinal compression into the collarbones ("better to brake your collarbone than your neck!"). I have never actually bothered to evaluate these claims.
    Is this actually a documented thing? Or just people on the interwebz talking out their keyboards?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Is this actually a documented thing? Or just people on the interwebz talking out their keyboards?
    No idea. I haven't read anything about it. Just trackside discussions.

So, for Leatt braces specifically, they do not transfer compression into the collarbone. At least not at first. The goal is to transfer the force into the top of the shoulder, where all that nice squishy muscle is. If you look at the STX-RR like I use, you can even see how the pad and brace are shaped to leave a collarbone recess to avoid pushing into it, as long as your brace is correctly adjusted to the rider.

In my instance, my bruising showed where the brace transferred a LOT of force into the top of my shoulder. It was the end of my collarbone that blew apart. My initial speculation was my brace just loaded my shoulder up enough reach the collarbone even with the cutout, but I also could have done it during the tumble, etc. Either way, I walked away without so much as a stiff neck which for me is impressive. If the Leatt did trade my neck for a collarbone, I'm all for it. Given how much force was transferred I question weather I'd be typing this without assistance today if I wasn't wearing the brace for that crash.

Leatt's official statement on the subject: Does the Leatt-Brace® cause collarbone injuries? | Leatt® | Protective Neck Braces, Body Armour & Sports Gear

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I've used the Spidi air bag vest since last season on the track. It's great. No fuss. You can't even feel that it's on. Instant collarbone and neck protection. I personally will NEVER ride on the track without one again. You can buy the whole system for sub $500 from Riders Discount. Revzilla seems really overpriced...

Spidi Neck DPS Airbag Vest - RevZilla

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

Here's my before and after:

WTB Left Clavicle-titanium-jpg

Last edited by Petorius; 09-11-15 at 03:33 PM.

Yup, make sure you show EVERYBODY, might as well get some mileage out of how "crazy" you are. See you this weekend?

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I'll see you tomorrow, but no racing for me

I keep getting soreness/tenderness in the soft tissue above my plate after I do physical things for long periods of time. Long dirt or MTB rides in particular seem to do it. It lasts for a few days each time. Not debilitating in any way, just kind of annoying.

Anyone else in the clavicle club have any experience with this?

Mine doesn't last, but it does remind me to not be a dumbass when I lift heavy stuff. Hasn't bothered riding. Orthopedist gave me the "whaddya expect?" shrug about it.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Still. Mine was acting up yesterday. I broke it in 1987.... Get used to it.. It's awesome.

The other one has a hitch that catches once in a while that is pretty cool too...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Still. Mine was acting up yesterday. I broke it in 1987.... Get used to it.. It's awesome.

The other one has a hitch that catches once in a while that is pretty cool too...
    Routine suffering I can deal with, if it was something unusual I would go all hypochondriac and start panicking. So thanks!

Glad you're on the mend Pete.

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

I have no hardware attached to mine. We let it heal naturally. But it's over 7 months and some days it feels awkward. I'm not at 100% mobility with my right shoulder but I'm close. They tell me that I should feel much better in a month or two. I'm working out with no problem but still worried and I try not to over do it.

But no soreness after long workouts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123