Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WTB, project truck, 1967-1972 Chevy/GMC C10 truck

I've been toying the idea for a little while now to buy and restore an older truck. Now that I have a place to do it, it's time to buy and start. It's a long shot around here, but if anyone sees a good frame and body in those years, let me know. I can deal with some rust, but I don't want a full on replacement of everything. In a perfect world, a truck with a fresh body and paint and no drivetrain would be perfect.
    So, 67-72 Chevy/GMC C10
    2 wd
    6' bed
    Solid body and frame
    I can deal with the rest, new engines are cheap and so are some transmissions..that's the easy stuff for me.
    Price would be by condition obviously, so it's a wide price range..lets say $500- $8,000
    I have a feeling my best bet is to buy one from down south and avoid the rust all together, but figured I'd try local first.

This is the style I'm looking for.

Thanks
    WTB, project truck, 1967-1972 Chevy/GMC C10 truck-1972_chevrolet_c10-pic-34055-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Re: WTB, project truck, 1967-1972 Chevy/GMC C10 truck

Listen carefully. I went that route with a 55 ford f100. I spent a ton and I didnt get my $$$$$ back. I worked at a car lot and my boss warned me that would happen. He told me to buy it mint in the first place. Let someone else go broke for you. Did I learn my lesson? No. I repeated the process many years later with a vintage Ducati. I spent 12K and countless hours and I got crap for it. Do what you want. I'm just telling ya what my experience was.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Mark,

Though I absolutely love that era Chevy truck it would be bad if you were to buy such a project vehicle. The reason, you would have things to do on that project that would prevent you from riding and well riding is fun so therefore no truck project for you.

Joel

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Listen carefully. I went that route with a 55 ford f100. I spent a ton and I didnt get my $$$$$ back. I worked at a car lot and my boss warned me that would happen. He told me to buy it mint in the first place. Let someone else go broke for you. Did I learn my lesson? No. I repeated the process many years later with a vintage Ducati. I spent 12K and countless hours and I got crap for it. Do what you want. I'm just telling ya what my experience was.
    Your first problem, you built a ford, your second problem, you built a ducati

I've already restored a 1972 c10 in the past and while expensive, it ended up 1/2 the cost of a new truck..was simple, reliable and I still got good money for it when I sold it. Back then ( I think it was 1993-1994 when I built my last one) I started with a good frame and a good body..that was half the battle. That of course, is the reason I will likely have to go down south to find what i'm looking for if I don't get lucky up in this area.
    I'm not looking to get my money back, I'm looking to put something together that looks and rides like new, and I can drive it payment free for 10 years or so. Even if I spend 15k once done, a new truck is in the 30K range, I'm coming out ahead, have lower insurance, lower taxes and will have a cool looking classic truck that is simple to work on if there's a problem

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

There's a step side one in Springfield for sale, I passed by it today, by the Basketball hall of fame. It's silver, if I travel that way tomorrow I'll get the info off of it.

Friend: man riding this really hurts my balls

Me: Well you're not supposed to sit on your balls!

I'm sure you've scoured craigslist already, but in case you missed these....

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/3393114569.html

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/3421697402.html

I used to have a 72 c10 and just picked up a 76 k10 (sorta) for the same reason.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    I'm sure you've scoured craigslist already, but in case you missed these....

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/3393114569.html

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/3421697402.html
    Seem them both, but not exactly what i'm looking for. The first link is the stepside body and the second is an 8' bed.
    The yellow one would be perfect for what i'm looking for if it were 2' shorter. Thanks for looking out

Yamaha

Have you looked in Hemmings Motor News?

I believe there is a 71 beside a barn @ Shaw's Garage in N.Granby Ct. Not sure if it's a longbed or not. Old man Shaw passed away a while back but you might find some info @ town hall. He was a chevy guru type and has a garage full of new (as in original) parts. Friend of mine bought some grill parts off of him a while ago for a 57 pickup. Still in original packaging and list price from GM. No markup involved.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

I like where this is going. Pick up two Mark. I'll take the second.

Paul_E_D

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Your first problem, you built a ford, your second problem, you built a ducati

I've already restored a 1972 c10 in the past and while expensive, it ended up 1/2 the cost of a new truck..was simple, reliable and I still got good money for it when I sold it. Back then ( I think it was 1993-1994 when I built my last one) I started with a good frame and a good body..that was half the battle. That of course, is the reason I will likely have to go down south to find what i'm looking for if I don't get lucky up in this area.
    I'm not looking to get my money back, I'm looking to put something together that looks and rides like new, and I can drive it payment free for 10 years or so. Even if I spend 15k once done, a new truck is in the 30K range, I'm coming out ahead, have lower insurance, lower taxes and will have a cool looking classic truck that is simple to work on if there's a problem
    Interesting philosophy.

But if you spend the 15k on a more modern truck, you get something much more civilized (in terms of suspension, NVH, safety) though. If your goal is payment-free, reliable transportation, money is always better spent on more modern alternatives. Cant speak with any credibility about american trucks, but the modern tacomas and frontys are very very sophisticated and very very well made, cant imagine a 40 year old truck to be anything remotely close.

If your goal is the enjoyment that comes with restoring a classic, i hear ya, it makes a lot of sense. Its hardly a rational decision and the emotional satisfaction is priceless.

The old trucks were so simple there was little to break. They are a completely different playing field than newer mini trucks. Rust, that's a different story. But these trucks are getting popular with collectors hence driving up their price. They seem to be coming out of the woodwork now that the value has increase. Saw one in the bowels of fitchburg couple weeks back for sale, long bed though. Many of that era were for work, so the long beds are more prevalent. I'd personally prefer a late 70's Fall Guy type truck or maybe a short step side like Simon and Simon. I've got to stop living in old TV series....

Good luck with your search. I remember having a 67 and a 69 growing up. Dad painted one of them with a brush, don't do that...

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    Have you looked in Hemmings Motor News?
    I checked, they had 2 listed

Not to be a smartass, but 1966 doesn't fall in the 67-72 range as I posted

Quote Originally Posted by FAST GSXR750 View Post
    I believe there is a 71 beside a barn @ Shaw's Garage in N.Granby Ct. Not sure if it's a longbed or not. Old man Shaw passed away a while back but you might find some info @ town hall. He was a chevy guru type and has a garage full of new (as in original) parts. Friend of mine bought some grill parts off of him a while ago for a 57 pickup. Still in original packaging and list price from GM. No markup involved.
    No idea where that is, any contact info?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I like where this is going. Pick up two Mark. I'll take the second.
    If I win the powerball, sure..haha

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Interesting philosophy.

But if you spend the 15k on a more modern truck, you get something much more civilized (in terms of suspension, NVH, safety) though. If your goal is payment-free, reliable transportation, money is always better spent on more modern alternatives. Cant speak with any credibility about american trucks, but the modern tacomas and frontys are very very sophisticated and very very well made, cant imagine a 40 year old truck to be anything remotely close.

If your goal is the enjoyment that comes with restoring a classic, i hear ya, it makes a lot of sense. Its hardly a rational decision and the emotional satisfaction is priceless.
    While I can agree on some safty features being better on newer vehicles, the fact that the older ones are so simple, they are just as reliable IMHO. Think of it this way, 1 power wire and fuel is all the older engines need to run. You can carry pretty much anything you need in a small toolbox to make a roadside fix if you breakdown..and be on the road again. One great thing about a 40 year old american truck, I won't have to worry about the frame rotting out in 5 years like the very very well made toyota's

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    The old trucks were so simple there was little to break. They are a completely different playing field than newer mini trucks. Rust, that's a different story. But these trucks are getting popular with collectors hence driving up their price. They seem to be coming out of the woodwork now that the value has increase. Saw one in the bowels of fitchburg couple weeks back for sale, long bed though. Many of that era were for work, so the long beds are more prevalent. I'd personally prefer a late 70's Fall Guy type truck or maybe a short step side like Simon and Simon. I've got to stop living in old TV series....

Good luck with your search. I remember having a 67 and a 69 growing up. Dad painted one of them with a brush, don't do that...
    Exactly the point, they are super simple and reliable. I do like the 73-79 style as well, but it's a bit more boxy looking than the 72 style. Still simple, and quite a bit less money than the style I'm looking for.

Yamaha

We picked up our '76 for a '07 kx450. 350 K truck with a 10 bolt up front and a 14 in the rear. All the common rust areas except for the rockers have been fixed. I'm overhauling the steering because it's getting 36's and the little bit of looseness in the front would kill us going from 31's to 36's. There are deals out there in that range.

-Alex

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" )

This stemmed from that video on facebook didnt it?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post

No, I just saw that video for the first time today. I had a 72 back in the 90's, liked the style and would like another one

Yamaha

No, I just saw that video for the first time today. I had a 72 back in the 90's, liked the style and would like another one
    That's what I had and wanted but the misses likes the boxes.

-Alex

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete
    That's what I had and wanted but the misses likes the boxes.
    So is she bi or full lesbo?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

So is she bi or full lesbo?
    No, she's Italian.

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    No, she's Italian.
    Good luck!

Paul_E_D

not really a project nor a C10 but if you got an extra harley sitting around...

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/3420014133.html

Last edited by Point37; 11-29-12 at 01:22 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcPHHEea3lE

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Good luck!
    Yea, we're gonna buy stock in nair.

-Alex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast