Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Wtb Snowmobile

Wtb Snowmobile

I don't know shit about them. Never been on one. I think I want one.
    Do they have cheap ones? Where can I ride it? I will ride it where I am not supposed to as well.

When I see cheap. I can get a Suzuki katana for under $1000. It's a slow 600cc motorcycle. It's not a gsxr but you still get the feeling of riding a motorcycle. Does anything like that exist in snowmobiles?

What do I need to do as far as registration in MA?

Any leads welcomed.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Wtb Snowmobile

Cheap snowmobile or any snowmobile for that matter is a hole in the ground that you dump money into. Just like a boat.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I will be buying a boat this summer too lol

I'll be getting this in, putting a clutch in it and selling it for $800 in a couple weeks.
    440 liquid cooled. I'll let you know when it's done if you are still in the market.Wtb Snowmobile-img_2847-jpg

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

I would absolutely buy something from you Sheppo

I remember the old Prowlers! My friends were so excited when they upgraded from Pumas to a pair of those!

Since he has never been on a sled he should start with this one first: 1996 kitty kat

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

That prowler turned out to be NOTHING the picture ( must have been when he first bought it ) I passed. If you are still in the market I can find you one.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

You can find lots of cheap ones on craigslist. I'd say stick with something like a 500 fan, that way you don't have to worry about a meltdown due to a coolant leak.

...But please don't, or at least stay in Mass if you do get one. The last thing we need are trails closed because some idiot rode across a tree farm field and destroyed half their crop. Staying on the trail is much more important for sleds then being a hooligan on a bike. At least if you're a hooligan on a bike, you're not going to get the road closed permanently. On a trail, you will get it closed permanently.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I've seen you post A LOT of WTB threads.

Believe me...you do not WTB a snowmobile.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I've seen you post A LOT of WTB threads.

Believe me...you do not WTB a snowmobile.
    Elaborate? Although the more I think about it the less I want one anyways

The RSV4 is not for me but for a friend.

Might be worth trying before buying. Don't some of the places up North rent by the half day? At least then you'd know if it was for you before buying a sled, gear, trailer...

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Elaborate? Although the more I think about it the less I want one anyways

Sooooooo

All the ones in your price range suck. Even if you found an immacualte machine for a great deal...all old snowmobiles suck. Up until the mid 2000s, they all had low seat/high bar set ups. They were real wide, all the weight on the front. They are like trying to turn a shopping cart with 4 fixed position wheels, in sand, with a broken leg and a dislocated collarbone. If you want to go 100mph, great, they'll do that.

Now, even if you are OK with all of that...a new england machine in your price range will be beat to shit. The majority of riding in New England utilizes railroad beds to get places. Yes, its as miserable as it sounds. If there is ample snow coverage it isn't bad, but most of the time people get overzelous, want to ride their machines, and just sit like a hotwheels car on a track bumping over rail road ties for hours. Once you get off those railroad ties, you get bumpy, rooted trails that just kick the crap out of rider and machine.

So in the end....anything in your price range will ride like crap and be beat to shit. Orrrrrr, it will be immaculate and only good for hauling firewood.

Now if you want to drop 12k on a new machine.... those things are sooooo sexy.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    You can find lots of cheap ones on craigslist. I'd say stick with something like a 500 fan, that way you don't have to worry about a meltdown due to a coolant leak.

...But please don't, or at least stay in Mass if you do get one. The last thing we need are trails closed because some idiot rode across a tree farm field and destroyed half their crop. Staying on the trail is much more important for sleds then being a hooligan on a bike. At least if you're a hooligan on a bike, you're not going to get the road closed permanently. On a trail, you will get it closed permanently.
    I learned a long time ago I'm not a snowmobiler but as someone who uses shared trails with my ATV once a season, this quote holds true.
    I learned a fair part of the trail network traverses private land and a lot of work goes into keeping the rider/land owner relationship in good standing every season. If you go for a sled, learn the riding etiquette before hitting the trails.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Good info all. Looks like this isn't happening this year. Thanks a lot for the advice.