Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WTB: Track Bike, preferably SV650, Kawasaki 650R or similar.

WTB: Track Bike, preferably SV650, Kawasaki 650R or similar.

WTB: track bike, I would love an SV650 with GSXR front end. I will also consider Kawasaki 650R, possibly others - let me know what you have. No liter bikes, I am not looking for a very powerful track bike. I really like small twins. I have cash, so feel free to contact me if you have a track bike for sale.

I will also consider buying a street bike that needs work and turning it into a track machine. Please don't bother offering me stolen bikes, I will check the VIN and I will report it to the PD.

I will consider trading my 2007 zx10r for a track bike and some cash. The zx10r has 6600 on the odometer. Pristine condition, never dropped, never exposed to salt, I moved to MA from CA where the bike lived most of its life. Has no-cut frame sliders and zx14 front brake calipers, otherwise bone stock.

For faster response please email juha_teuvonnen [at] yahoo [dot] com

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Re: WTB: Tack Bike, preferably SV650, Kawasaki 650R or similar.

Can i check the VIN on the zx10?

there is a classifides section on NESR. If you can't find anything to your liking there check out WERA classifides or go on craiglist and try some key words like penske, ohlins, track, race etc. I've been eyeing this for a while, it might fit your needs http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/4259116113.html

Here is an APE, I know it's a 1k but it's a twin http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...y-(track-only)

Tsforas is selling a HAWK raceready for cheap. http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...highlight=hawk

and another hawk http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...highlight=hawk

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Here's a nice looking sv and it looks like it already has most of the goodies on it. It's a hike from MA though.

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/4312567283.html

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Can i check the VIN on the zx10?
    Of course. Please send me an email, and I will respond with VIN. I tried to send you a PM with the VIN, but your profile is configured not to accept PMs.

Last edited by juha_teuvonnen; 02-02-14 at 09:29 PM.

professional lurker burtonboarder23's Avatar

Have an 04 naked sv650 with yosh exhaust, PCIII and Frame sliders... 2200

"Could you elaborate on that a bit? Just telling me not to run a specific tire, and giving me no true logical explanation is like telling me I'm going to get my dick sucked tonight, and not by whom."

Based on my limited research it looks like I can find a GSXR 600 track bike for less than what I would pay for an SV set up for the track. Is my research flawed, or is it supposed to be like this? I am 230 lbs, but I want something less ambitious to learn on. Hawk sure looks good, but how difficult is it to get parts for them?

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Here is an APE, I know it's a 1k but it's a twin http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...y-(track-only)
    Can't have this one. It's mine.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Quote Originally Posted by freezinvt View Post
    Here's a nice looking sv and it looks like it already has most of the goodies on it. It's a hike from MA though.

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/4312567283.html
    this one is nice, but seems a little high in price. You don't get any spares. If I were to sell my 99, I'd sell it for $4000-$4500 with all the spares I have.

I'd contact him and see what the bottom line is. Who cares about the distance to drive to see it. Go with the intention of buying it.

|

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen View Post
    Based on my limited research it looks like I can find a GSXR 600 track bike for less than what I would pay for an SV set up for the track. Is my research flawed, or is it supposed to be like this?
    I believe your research is flawed. Or you are comparing a clapped out, couple gens old, stock gixxer with no title to a very well prepared SV. Don't do that. A well prepared SV is much more desirable than a stock or beat 600.

Also bear in mind that the SV and Hawk are very popular with the track rats here in New England. Parts (at least for the SV) and advice (both) are easy to come by.

What is your goal? To race, or 'just' run track days? I've heard the 600 race classes compared to a meat grinder.

I weigh about what you do, am a trackday guy, and have both a 2006 sv650s trackbike (also street legal) and a 2003 cbr600rr trackbike with all the goodies on it. I'm not selling either right now, just responding because you asked about adequate power for your weight.

The sv is a better learning tool and has plenty of performance to scare you on the track, but I personally wouldn't want a bike with any less power. Cheaper on tires and hold their value awesome among the track crew...buy one intelligently and sell it after a season or two for the same amount. I'd recommend a 2003 or newer one for the fuel injection but that's not a universally accepted view.

The 600 is less forgiving and harder to ride well, at least mine is. Its also a bit faster, maybe 3 seconds a lap or so for a good rider. Its more likely to reveal mistakes in your riding, IMO (read: more dangerous). They won't hold their value as well as an SV, because people seem to want the newer versions more than with SVs.

Get an SV if you can find a good deal on one and want fast improvement, economy, and relative safety
    Get a 600 if you can find a good deal on one, and getting passed by other people on faster bikes at trackdays will drive you crazy (but you will likely get passed by people on faster and slower bikes no matter what, just a couple less on a 600, maybe)

This stuff is also track dependant; that's one reason I have both (really it is just because I found a really good deal on my second one and didn't want to fully commit the sv to the track)

I'd rather ride the sv for: Loudon, rain, maybe Thompson but don't know yet.

I'd rather ride the 600 at NJMP

NYST either one is fine, slightly prefer the 600

Bottom line, either one will be some of the most fun ever with your clothes on; don't over-sweat the decision, whichever one you find a good deal on and "strikes your fancy" will work out just fine.

Last edited by Imbeek; 02-03-14 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I believe your research is flawed. Or you are comparing a clapped out, couple gens old, stock gixxer with no title to a very well prepared SV. Don't do that. A well prepared SV is much more desirable than a stock or beat 600.
    I think you are right on the money about my research being flawed. A gixxer has better suspension in its stock form, so a cheap "track" gixxer is probably just a crashed stock bike with some track fairings slapped on it. An fully prepped SV is more money because it takes more money to build it. I'm thinking gixxer front, complete with real front brakes and a real rear shock. By the time it's all done you're out more money than a crashed gixxer.

Also bear in mind that the SV and Hawk are very popular with the track rats here in New England. Parts (at least for the SV) and advice (both) are easy to come by.
    When it comes to advice, I am planning on taking some classes from Penguin and following up with some one-on-one instruction. I'm figuring that once I start pushing the bike on the track I may end up dumping it sooner or later. Hawk is a nice bike, probably close to perfect for what I need, but finding parts for it might become a challenge.

What is your goal? To race, or 'just' run track days? I've heard the 600 race classes compared to a meat grinder.
    I am planning to do track days only, I have no desire to compete in any class.

With the birth of my daughter late last year, the sense of responsibility and self-preservation decided to kick in. Frankly, I never was good enough of a rider to push ZX10 on the street, so I rode it like a grandpa. I am not as good a rider as I would like to be, and I want to get better at it. The street is the exact wrong place to be pushing it anyway, so I decided to "take it to the track". I have zero desire to compete with anyone other than myself. Basically, I don't care how fast everyone else is going, I do care that my next lap is better than my last one. It's all about mastering the technique and getting the bike to do precisely what I want it to do for me. That's what I enjoy the most.

I am not a complete beginner, I went to Keith Code's superbike school and I had a Triumph TT600 for a tack bike when I lived in California. While 600 is more fun, additional power seemingly allows folks to "get fast without really knowing how to ride". You just gun it on the straights and slow it all the way down in the corners. With a lower powered bike like SV, you have to get through the corners fast to get respectable times. That's why I'm thinking I'll learn better on a twin than an inline 4.

When it comes to advice, I am planning on taking some classes from Penguin and following up with some one-on-one instruction. I'm figuring that once I start pushing the bike on the track I may end up dumping it sooner or later. Hawk is a nice bike, probably close to perfect for what I need, but finding parts for it might become a challenge.

He wasn't talking about how to ride it around a race track. He was talking about fixing and setting it up.

Lifer

An fully prepped SV is more money because it takes more money to build it.
    Do we agree with this? I dunno. Apples to apples, is this true? Yeah, the gixxer's standard equipment is better. But by the time you are done you'll probably have your hands into the brakes and suspenders anyway. Probably a pipe too. And tuning. I contend that first gen (carb'ed) SV's can be tuned for less. Yeah, the adjustable gixxer suspension bits are probably a better place to start. But are slapping springs and emulators in an SV "good 'nuf" for our intended use? Won't the gixxer need attention too? Buy an SV with the rear shock already replaced and you are probably 7/10ths of the way there. Do riders like you and I really need external adjustability? My opinion is no.

I too just want to track ride. I have no plan to compete. I've done this math and think the SV with a few upgrades (suspension, braided lines, good pads) is more than enough and way more cost effective.

I outweigh you and love my SV650 track toy to death. Some of the best motorcycling money I ever spent. And fwiw, I was convinced I wanted a 600cc I4 instead until I got slapped around by the guys on this very forum. I think they were right. It helps that my SV was a very good deal.

I'd ride a Hawk GT. They are nifty bikes and I am confident I'd be happy on one of those too.

Re: WTB: Track Bike, preferably SV650, Kawasaki 650R or similar.

You don't need a GSXR front end on an SV to make it be a top tier track/race bike. That is misinformation.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    You don't need a GSXR front end on an SV to make it be a top tier track/race bike. That is misinformation.
    I rode a naked 2003 Sv650 on the street for a while. I know that the stock front end can be reworked using cartridge emulators. How do I fix the stock brakes? I was actually thinking about getting gixxer wheels front and rear, more grip and rumor has it that trackworthy rubber in that size is easier to come by.

Call me a spoiled sonuvabitch, but I like good brakes. I installed ZX14R front calipers on my 2007 ZX10R because I hated the craptastic stock brakes with a passion.

Lifer

I like how mine stops. It has braided lines, nice pads, upgraded rotors, and a gen 2 master.

I rode a naked 2003 Sv650 on the street for a while. I know that the stock front end can be reworked using cartridge emulators. How do I fix the stock brakes? I was actually thinking about getting gixxer wheels front and rear, more grip and rumor has it that trackworthy rubber in that size is easier to come by.

Call me a spoiled sonuvabitch, but I like good brakes. I installed ZX14R front calipers on my 2007 ZX10R because I hated the craptastic stock brakes with a passion.
    There are some people here with SVs with very SERIOUS Brakes!
    you dont need gixxer wheels front or rear. Tires come in plenty of sizes and there are tons of vendors out there.
    If you do TTD you will have any Pirelli tire, if you do Penguin you will have access to many options, you can also get tons of Take offs from people around here.
    I am still waiting for your text btw. I emailed you my number back.

Maintain the stock calipers, use good pads, use good fluid, use good lines. Even the stock rotors are more than capable. Mine are two finger operation even diving into turn 1 at NHMS. Stock calipers and rotors.

Some people swap the master for more feel. I haven't found a need. But that's cheap to do and easy.

Most stock brakes on any modern bike will work excellent if setup correctly. Swapping calipers is like doing a V8 swap on your WRX because it has a clogged air filter.

Changing wheels: same thing. You are taking all the engineering Suzuki did to fit appropriately sized rubber and throwing it out the window for BIGGAR IS BEHTAAR I KNOW MOAR THAN ENGINNEYR. Yet bigger rubber means more unsprung weight, more gyroscopic action reducing flickability, more inertial weight for the brakes to overcome, etc. Remember, it's not a 170hp bike. A 180 is not necessary. The stock 160 isn't THAT much thinner.....nor is it hard to find decent rubber for. Front tire size is the same.

Last edited by TheIglu; 02-03-14 at 01:53 PM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

The SV is a lot more capable than you think. If you want the gixxer forks and 180 rear for eye candy, yes you would be better off with the 600 to begin with. If you want to learn to become a better rider, stick with stock forks, add emulators and springs to match your weight, put a good aftermarket shock out back, use aggressive front pads and braided lines, retain the fully capable and readily available 160 rear tire, and save the time and money you would have put into fancy mods. Spend your dollars on the best protective gear you can get, track time, instruction, and tires. I've been on an SV for two years and I still have much that I could learn. My crashes have mostly been at reasonable speeds and left me and the bike structurally sound. We all want more power, but when that "teachable moment" shows up unexpectedly, you will be glad you're going 30 MPH slower on a cheap bike that crashes well and just might let you save it even if you have it pinned and are hanging on for dear life.

Edit- yeah, what Clayton said above me....

Last edited by carsick; 02-03-14 at 02:01 PM.
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lifer

The shitty thing about internally adjustable forks (like built SV forks) is that you either have to know wtf you are doing, or you might as well be throwing darts at a dart board.. in china.. while blindfolded.. and drunk.

But again, how $much$ do you care?

if you decide to get an I4, i'll have a GSXR for sale soon

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

The gsxr and sv use the same size front tire, so the same race rubber.
    The hot setup on sv brakes is: pads, lines, rbf600(or 660), and a 19/18 master.

You can one finger that shit and stop yesterday.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 02-03-14 at 03:31 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    if you decide to get an I4, i'll have a GSXR for sale soon
    Thanks for the offer, but I pretty much decided to get a twin. I need a learning tool, so I am going for a lighter and less powerful bike.

On the GSX-R front end, I have had my SV in the following conditions:

• Stock front end, stock forks w/ emulators, stock calipers. This left little adjustment and didn't suit my 225 pound fat ass.
    • Stock triples, stock lower forks tubes, 97 ZX6R upper fork tubes and cartridges set up by GMD w/ full damping, stock calipers. This made a HUGE difference and didn't cost as much as a full GSX-R swap. However, braking wasn't as severe as with a GSX-R front, but it worked very well with Carbone Lorraine brake pads. Just ask Pete (Oreo). He still runs a very similar set up his SS legal 06 SV and he hits 16's at NHMS.
    • GSX-R front end, GSX-R forks, R6 mono calipers. This actually wasn't as drastic a suspension difference as I had thought. It was slightly better than the ZX6R cartridges, but the difference that swapping out the damper rods made. Braking, however, is insane. 1-finger braking lifts the rear wheel off the ground.

|

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast