Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

WTB Verizon Android Phone

WTB Verizon Android Phone

No idea how this even works, but I see people posting phones for sale all the time so it must not be too difficult. I am using a first gen Galaxy S from 2009. Thinking its time to upgrade, as all the apps I want to use are becoming unsupported for my version of Android.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: WTB Verizon Android Phone

You don't have a discounted upgrade via Verizon?

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Maybe, but I share a plan with my parents and they seem to think that this is not how it works anymore?

....................... PinHead's Avatar

It doesn't work that way with Verizon anymore. You either buy the phone in full or monthly payments towards the phone you chose.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

^ I'd call verizon first and see if your accounts are still eligible for an upgrade before just writing it off as a loss. Some are grandfathered for a bit.

I just got a new note 4 with Verizon. They no longer subsidize phones. Plans changed slightly so end result was about $140 out of pocket with an otterbox and my monthly bill went down by $9. I share 10gb with my wife (l use most of it).

Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Lifer

If you have Verizon which I am assuming from the previous comments.. then you're in a whole different ballgame for the aftermarket/used phones. You can ONLY get a verizon phone, since the others will not work, and even if they do it won't be 100% without extra headaches.

First.. decide how much you want to spend, and also figure out what minimum model you're looking for. You also have to know that if you do change you must move the plan over to a current plan (which your parents might not want to) I've done the math on my plan for example. What I have does not exist anymore: Free calling to canada. So.. that in it's own is not motivation enough for me to switch plans,even though I've had an upgrade forever. I'm told that even though I would be grandfathered in with the upgrade phone, they don't "do it" anymore so it would be next to impossible to do it.

Going back to the phones.. since you already have a smart phone, this will be easy enough. Find someone selling a CLEAN phone.. and that I mean, not stolen. If the ESN number has been reported as stolen, that phone is a brick and can NEVER be activated on a verizon plan. Sure.. you might be able to hack/flash it to work on other networks if it's capable, but no good on verizon. They are usually nice enough to check the ESN for you if you call it in and give it to them. Otherwise, ebay is not bad since most power sellers will have a guarantee.

I got lucky a few years back and Gazelle was clearing out their phones. I got a Note3 for $350 to replace the new one my wife broke.. that new one set me back $700... I wish I could have found that "refurbished" one before it would have saved me some time and grief.

I have my old phone, the Galaxy S3 that I would maybe sell for $100.. you could probably get a cheaper one but mine is in superb shape.. and I honestly keep my phones in case the current one gets broken (ie when the wife broke her new one, we reactivated the GS3 until I found another Note3).

If it's in your budget I would shop for a note 3 or 4 even (since the 5 just came out). Or.. an S5.. or even S4 could be had for lesser money... and much much faster than, say my S3.

Thanks guys, my parents already killed our grandfathered unlimited data plan because they couldn't resist switching to new iphones last year. Sounds like the easiest move will be a newer used phone. Another forum member has responded with a good deal on a serviceable S6, so I'm going to go that route.