Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bikebandit Rant...

Bikebandit Rant...

So I ordered a new jacket and helmet for the girlfriend through Bikebandit. Got a fairly good deal on both, only to find out today, 4 days after placing the order, that the helmet is on backorder with no estimated time for recieving the item. I called to cancel the order and get the charges returned back to my debit card. I was then informed that my card was never charged the amount, only 'authorized' for the amount of the order, and that the transaction on my bank statement should still indicate that it is a pending transaction. After informing her that whether or not the transaction is listed as 'pending' or 'cleared' the funds are still removed from my available balance keeping me from accessing the money that was "never charged to my account" I inquired yet agan as to when my money may be once again available to me. To which I recieved a response of 3-5 days.

Now maybe it's just me, but is it normal to be charged immediately for something that is backordered, but takes them 3-5 days to put money back on my account that they supposedly never took in the first place???

Long story short, I cancelled the order for the jacket as well. I should have just gone through Ebay via paypal in the first place, as I most likely would have found both items cheaper and probably would have both in my posession in a couple days.

\end rant.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Bikebandit Rant...

I've had similar experiences with using my debit as a credit.

Good luck John

Quote Originally Posted by KillBill View Post
    I've had similar experiences with using my debit as a credit.

Good luck John

I dont think its the merchant, I think its the debit card.
    Its amazing they can get funds instantly, but takes days to refund things. Banks pull that shit constantly.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Although it is normal to have the charges authorized and it does take several days (usually 5 business days) for them to fall off, it does suck. I've started putting everything on a Rewards credit card and paying it off before the end of the cycle. Its easeir and it saves money.

Original

When getting stuff from places like bike bandit or knee draggers I always call to confirm the item is in stock.

These guys are the best in having things in stock and great prices:
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok

My BikeBandit rant...

Last summer I ordered a front brake rotor for my Skorpion from them for $83.75 (closeout). After waiting 30 days for it to ship, they cancelled my order and told me all I had to do was re-order it. I looked up the part number, and they had increased the price to $203!

They shouldn't have accepted the order if they didn't have any in stock. But once they accepted the order, they should have honored it at the agreed price.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

defining "budget tourer" ctbandit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    My BikeBandit rant...

Last summer I ordered a front brake rotor for my Skorpion from them for $83.75 (closeout). After waiting 30 days for it to ship, they cancelled my order and told me all I had to do was re-order it. I looked up the part number, and they had increased the price to $203!

They shouldn't have accepted the order if they didn't have any in stock. But once they accepted the order, they should have honored it at the agreed price.

first, that's fucked up. Second, I don't think that's legal.

ya that is messed up. For instance I ordered stuff from motosport and a spoke kit was backordered for a month, the stuff finally came in after waiting a month and they charged my card for the full amount the day it shipped from their warehouse....no reason other places can't do this, that is messed up

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by ctbandit View Post

first, that's fucked up. Second, I don't think that's legal.
    They reserve the right to cancel orders after 30 days in their fine print. So all they have to do is not ship for 30 days and they've covered themselves. There's also nothing in the fine print that says they have to ship something if it's in stock. So they sat on it for a month then jacked the price.

I traded a few messages with them until it became clear they were not going to honor the original agreement. They've already lost a lot more of my money than if they had done the right thing. Now I just use their parts fiche and buy elsewhere.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

While I understand folk's need to save a few bucks these days, I gotta say, for the very few dollars more for any given item, my experience is that going to your dealer, buying what you want nice and new and guaranteed for delivery and value is the best. Buddies of mine that have bought everything from motorcycle parts to computer components, golf clubs and balls, you name it, always seem to have some damned problem or another. Either the item is blemished, or used, or unwrapped and missing parts, or simply inoperative. If it isn't one of those, they have a problem with availability after the sale. If it isn't that, it's a problem with their credit card, or the shipping.

Point is, buying off the web and catalogs is always fraught with some difficulty or another, and to me, the worst is the inability to lay hands on the item over the counter from the guy that sold it to you. Furthermore, when we buy off the web, we're sending our dough outta the neighborhood, we're failing to support the dealers and shops that sooner or later, we'll be needing to depend on, and of course it costs jobs.

I just picked up a consignment 2003 Bandit 1200 and replaced all the consumables (tires, brake lines, pads,, fork oil replacement, a battery, and other stuff), and bought two new helmets and the Manassas Honda dealer's prices weren't 5% higher than the very best prices I could find on the web after I calculated the shipping. And, all my stuff is nice and new and GUARANTEED.

Now, I can't do shit with a bike as far as installing or repairing (shee-it, I dunno if I'm even good enough to RIDE the damn thing!), and so I had my dealer in Virginia install all the stuff I bought for it and tune this bike for me, so I'm sure they gave me some discount on the stuff I bought, but all that aside, when I make the move up to the North Shore next month, I'm gonna be looking for a full-service Suzuki dealer up here to go to for help. Will it cost a tad more? Maybe, maybe not. But for what it's worth, why NOT try to give your local guy a shot at supplying whatever it is you wanna buy off the web?

But then, I'm an old fuckah, I still think there's value in face-to-face commerce, and a wink and a handshake simply cannot be had from some outfit on the web or at the end of an 800 number, with some mope in India providing customer "support", tying up your credit card, telling you to wait and wait, and wait.. If you possibly can, folks, try to buy local. It's a realistic remedy to these problems associated with the attempt to save a few bucks, but not always, your sanity.

Edited to add, it should be my sig-line: This is only MY stoopid opinion, your mileage MAY vary!

Last edited by toocrazy2yoo; 06-07-09 at 07:40 AM.

I agree with you, but I've been burned by most of the dealers in the area in one way or another.

One wouldn't work on one of my bikes because it's too old
    One I get No Love from when I come in looking for stuff, they also ran out of inspection stickers last year and instead of making that know in regular intervals or putting up a sign, they let me sit around for 20minutes and wasted my time.
    One left me high and dry after I bought my bike from them
    One wouldn't work on one of my bikes because it wasn't a sport bike (not a dealer, but a dedicated motorcycle shop)

That's pretty much all the suzuki shops in my area.

The only issues I've had with online purchases has been ebay stuff. Most of my online business, BikeBandit, NewEnough, RonAyers, in the last six months has been reasonably well. Exception: Cogent Dynamics, somehow she managed to botch three things in two orders.

Anyways, I'd love to give business to my local shops, but when they charge 10-15% more for tires and then refuse to mount tires from elsewhere, they seal their own fate.

Make me a happy customer for what I came in for, maybe I'll come back next time.

Noxin ....,you hit the nail on the head, as much as i woould "like" to do my buisness locally (most) of the local buisness around here have the same attitudes you mentioned...there isnt that much competition so they pretty much charge what they want...and get away with it....therefore, in some situations its more cost effective to do buisness online.....

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

That's too bad. The guys down there fall all over themselves helping, they give ya tips, they run ya out to the garage and show ya what's what with the bike while it's apart, ya can wander in and smoke cigarettes with the mechanic while he's working, Hell, I take em lunch and tip em when work is done, sometimes in advance, the work is hopefully better that way. Works at the car washes!

Like I said, I'm a mechanical moron, I GOTTA forge some kinda relationship with someone good up here, or I'm scrood. I can do stuff inna pinch, but chains, sprockets, real bike work, if a dealer can't do it, I gotta find a privateer that's good, or I'm dead.

Thanks fer the advice, doods. Much as I wanna do business with a dealer, they screw me even once, I'll be gone too.

Resident Bodyman

trust me as a painter, tips go a long way, nothing major just a little kick in. its really not the money thats doing the talking its the fact that someone appreciates you taking the time to be thorough proper and honest.it tells them hey this guy appreciates a good job and thats what gets you a good job the next time. saying hey just fix it cheap i dont care gets you just that

08zzr600