Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

No bueno!! Subaru Specialties (Scott Dana Boyd)

Thumbs down No bueno!! Subaru Specialties (Scott Dana Boyd)

Dearest forum members,

I recently had an extremely poor dealing regarding a Subaru engine rebuild/ replacement for one of my Legacy GT's. As it turns out Scott has a history of ripping people off. This thread serves as my warning to you.....save yourself the hassle and go elsewhere.

The offender's name is Subaru Specialties/ Scott Dana Boyd operating out of the greater Lowell, Mass area.

My CL ad has been copied below for your reference.

Dear reader,
    If you are considering using "Subaru Specialties" or "Dana", the person who wrote the ad I've copied below, consider looking elsewhere.

My story goes like this:

--I signed a contract with "Dana" to have my Legacy engine rebuilt in May 2017.

--My car was picked up right away and my deposit for an engine rebuild was immediately cashed.

--My car then disappeared for 3 months and communication from "Dana" was very poor as to the whereabouts of my car and exactly when I'd have my car returned to me.

--Several trips to his house and 4 months after the fact, I was finally able to pick my car up...via trailer and without a thing being done to the car. To add insult to injury, my car sustained damage while in his possession.

--After numerous attempts to reach him by phone and text, I took the hour-plus ride to his house once again. Luckily he was there and so I arranged an agreement for him to simply build me an engine and I would handle the rest. At that point I asked him to sign a new agreement which put a timeframe on the job. The terms of that agreement expired on October 8, 2017.

--The time has come and gone for my engine or my money to be returned and "Dana" has stopped picking up his phone and responding to my messages now that I'm asking for my money yet he is still advertising on CL, hence this posting.

--As of January 2, 2018 his newest posting now has an additional paragraph mentioning that he is no longer handling the installs as he has a “pissed off customer...[who] would rather not resolve the issue amicably…”. As I can only imagine that paragraph has to do with me, him stating that could not be any further from the truth. I have been exceptionally patient and still continue to contact “Dana” at least once a month in a continued attempt to resolve this amicably. Simply put, he is not responding to any of my messages nor is he making an attempt to correct this issue in any way.

And since he has decided to play games up to this point and not make any effort to resolve this, I would encourage you, the reader, to start doing some research based on the information I have attached to this post. All sorts of public information out there.

Right now this is looking like it will be handled through the court system. Please feel free to contact me if you are having a similar issue. I can't imagine I'm the only one.
    EDIT: After a few months of my post going up and being renewed on CL, it turns out I am not the only one. The details of those other issues aren’t important. What is important is that “Dana” has a long history of shady dealings.

************************************************** ************************************************** ******

NEW Reman Subaru 2.5 engine with Warranty - $1800 (Lowell MA.)
    2.5 Subaru engine, NEW WITH WARRANTY - $1800

Completely remanufactured 2.5 Subaru engine. In stock, ready to deliver.

The engines offered have been completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected, crack checked and if found to be acceptable, remachined to restore factory specs and tolerances.

Specifically the engine cylinders are bored/honed to restore proper size/clearance for the new pistons and rings.

The crankshaft is ground/polished to restore correct surface finish and size for the new connecting rod bearings and main bearings.

The newly machined block and crankshaft are assembled with new bearings, pistons and rings.

The cylinder heads are crack checked, resurfaced as needed, and a complete valve job is performed.

The heads are installed on the new short block/lower end with new head gaskets and head bolts, torqued to factory specs

We provide new timing set and water pump and the remainder of the gasket set to complete the installation.

Complete assembly is shrink wrapped and bagged waiting to be delivered.

The engine assembly comes with a two year WRITTEN WARRANTY, against defects in parts and workmanship.

We offer FREE delivery!!

The price is $1800 and a rebuildable core.

Please contact Dana Subaruspecialties@gmail.com, OR 978-596-7516 with questions.
    We are very busy and when the machines are on or assembling an engine the phone isn't heard,
    so please LEAVE A MESSAGE.

We have over 35 years experience rebuilding engines; every brand and model you can think of.

The last 10 years we have specialized in Subarus. The amount of experience gained has provided great insight into the particular problems and inherent quirks associated with Subarus.
    Subarus are what we do all day every day.

We no longer do installations. My guy that was doing them for me is no longer able to. He got locked up. Before he went away he stole an engine and had a car in his garage. As a consequence of this I have a pissed off customer. I have had an engine sitting in my shop for months. It seems he would rather not resolve the issue amicably.....
    *************************************************************************** *********************************************************************
    2.0 Turbo Subaru engine, NEW WITH WARRANTY - $2500

Completely remanufactured 2.0 Subaru engine. In stock, ready to deliver.

The engines offered have been completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected, crack checked and if found to be acceptable, remachined to restore factory specs and tolerances.

Specifically the engine cylinders are bored/honed to restore proper size/clearance for the new pistons and rings.

The crankshaft is ground/polished to restore correct surface finish and size for the new connecting rod bearings and main bearings.

The newly machined block and crankshaft are assembled with new bearings, pistons and rings.

The cylinder heads are crack checked, resurfaced as needed, and a complete valve job is performed.

The heads are installed on the new short block/lower end with new head gaskets and head bolts, torqued to factory specs

We provide new timing set and water pump and the remainder of the gasket set to complete the installation.

Complete assembly is shrink wrapped and bagged waiting to be delivered.

The engine assembly comes with a two year WRITTEN WARRANTY, against defects in parts and workmanship.

We offer FREE delivery!!

The price is $2500 and a rebuildable core.

Please contact Dana Subaruspecialties@gmail.com, OR 978-596-7516 with questions.

We are very busy and when the machines are on or assembling an engine the phone isn't heard,

We have over 35 years experience rebuilding engines; every brand and model you can think of.

The last 10 years we have specialized in Subarus. The amount of experience gained has provided great insight into the particular problems and inherent quirks associated with Subarus.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************************
    posting unhide

NEW HIGH PERFORMANCE Subaru Turbo 2.5 Short Block - $2800 (Lowell MA.)
    Completely remanufactured 2.5 Subaru short block. In stock, ready to deliver.

We use Manley Performance forged pistons and moly ring sets, Manley forged H-beam connecting rods, and forged steel crankshaft.

The engines offered have been completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected, crack checked and if found to be acceptable, remachined to achieve performance specs and tolerances.

Specifically the engine cylinders are bored/honed with a DECK PLATE, to achieve proper size/clearance for the new Manley forged pistons and rings.

The block is LINE HONED, and BOTH DECK SURFACES ARE SURFACED.

The crankshaft is ground/polished to restore correct surface finish and size for the new KING performance connecting rod bearings and main bearings.

We have used Manley Performance parts for over 30 YEARS, because they are of the highest quality and top rated parts available.

We supply a NEW HIGH VOLUME oil pump.

We offer FREE delivery!!

The price is $2800 and a rebuildable core.

*************************************************************************** ***********************************************************************

COMPLETELY REMANUFACTURED LONG BLOCK ENGINE, WITH A 2 YEAR WARRANTY
    Completely disassembled
    Cleaned and degreased
    Pressure tested heads
    All machine work performed by machinist with 30+years experience
    Reassemblled to factory specs using all new parts
    Reground crankshaft
    Rod and main bearings
    Pistons and rings
    Timing set with water pump
    High Volume Oil pump
    Gaskets, Head Bolts and seals
    A first class job done with the highest quality parts and pride in workmanship!!

We stand behind our engines with a 2 year parts AND labor warranty.
    The remanufactured long block assembly is $2000 CASH.
    A rebuildable core is necessary or a $300 deposit is required.
    FREE DELIVERY AND CORE PICK UP

For more information, please CALL 978 596 7516
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT:

See links below to threads I posted on other forums. Mods, pls let me know if this is not acceptable and I will gladly remove the links.

Legacy GT Forums - New England Regional

NASIOC - Vendor Reviews

NASIOC - NESIC

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 02-07-19 at 08:58 PM.

Re: No bueno!! Subaru Specialties (Scott Dana Boyd)

Googled the name out of curiosity...
    Scott Dana Boyd, w/m, gray/brown, 6�... | Facebook

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Googled the name out of curiosity...
    Scott Dana Boyd, w/m, gray/brown, 6�... | Facebook
    Dana should think about having one less donut each day.

Just checked CL and found six copies of your ad but not hid?

Can he be criminally charged? Hope you get your $$ Back one way or the other. Did you post on NASIOC? (Yes).

Had my WRX engine built at Wicked Tuning in Manchester NH. There are a couple of other well-regarded builders on NASIOC as well.

Those prices strike me as being half of what the job is worth. Apples & Oranges as mine was much more due to heat treated crank, forged pistons, unobtamium bearings, Killer B sump, etc. Don’t see how anyone could do what he is claiming for $1,800.

Last edited by Garandman; 01-11-18 at 04:52 AM.

These type of people only get the message when it is delivered with some force.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No bueno!!  Subaru Specialties (Scott Dana Boyd)-debt-jpg  

TIMMYDUCK

Dealt with him briefly a few years ago..... Subaru Specialties in slow service is more like it.

Take him to small claims court.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Just checked CL and found six copies of your ad but not hid?

Can he be criminally charged? Hope you get your $$ Back one way or the other. Did you post on NASIOC? (Yes).

Had my WRX engine built at Wicked Tuning in Manchester NH. There are a couple of other well-regarded builders on NASIOC as well.

Those prices strike me as being half of what the job is worth. Apples & Oranges as mine was much more due to heat treated crank, forged pistons, unobtamium bearings, Killer B sump, etc. Don’t see how anyone could do what he is claiming for $1,800.
    Yes, posted on NASIOC.

Keep in mind his ad was quite different several months ago so the $1800 is (allegedly) for EJ25 engines. My deposit was a bit more than that for the EJ257 rebuild that was supposed to happen. What will end up taking place is I will be doing the build myself over the next few months....something I was trying to avoid from the get go.

Criminal charges are not within my control but the option to file charges against him is being looked into.

Small claims is already in process and, because I'm a nice guy, I checked off the box for mediation in the hopes that he brings my money.

When did you first contact him?

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Small claims is already in process and, because I'm a nice guy, I checked off the box for mediation in the hopes that he brings my money.
    Post up when you go see Judge Judy and I'll DVR it for the NESR viewing party. BYO popcorn.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    When did you first contact him?
    Sometime mid-March 2017

Had several extended discussions and his knowledge is what led me to be comfortable enough to send him the work.

If you walk into a custom auto shop and ask them what day it is, if the say Tuesday, it’s already Thursday. Ditto for the month. They’re generally great technicians who decide to go off on their own, but business skills may not be present.

We really like the 3rd gen Legacy/Outback and keep our 2006 3.0R wagon with 226,000 miles because it’s such a great all around car.

Sometime mid-March 2017

Had several extended discussions and his knowledge is what led me to be comfortable enough to send him the work.
    Me too except I ended up going a different route because I wasn't satisfied with his communication timelines. I've been screwed over by too many engine rebuilders and understand what you are going through with this. Pain in the ass.

The only thing that really fries my ass is the fact that someone can dance all around the laws like this guy is doing and feel only the smallest of consequences.

Had a fresh rebuild from a different guy/shop. 1.5k miles into it and kaboom rod through the top of the case starting a fire and causing 3k worth of damage on top of the cost of the motor, I got left with the 6.5k bill.

At least if the dealership screws the pooch there is some recourse.

:typed from my desk in a busy service dept:

The only thing that really fries my ass is the fact that someone can dance all around the laws like this guy is doing and feel only the smallest of consequences.
    If more people went to small claims court and even the 5-0 about this stuff, then there would be more consequences.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

#metoo

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Along with Wicked Performance, the other Subaru shop in the area that will stand behind their work is BrenTuning in Charlton. They did the tune on my WRX 2.5 after it was built by Wicked.

I shipped the transmission to Rallispec, in NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    Had a fresh rebuild from a different guy/shop. 1.5k miles into it and kaboom rod through the top of the case starting a fire and causing 3k worth of damage on top of the cost of the motor, I got left with the 6.5k bill.
    Was this the van from a year or two ago? I believe you posted about it here...?

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    If more people went to small claims court and even the 5-0 about this stuff, then there would be more consequences.
    Filed my claim with Ayer yesterday then went and spoke with Littleton PD about possible larceny charges. I am left with the impression they will not be pressing charges for my complaint alone however it was noted during conversation that he is on their radar. I did learn that I am free to press my own charges and to be quite honest, considering my experience with him, his history in NC and the folks who contacted me when I initially posted on CL, I'm half thinking about it.

Was this the van from a year or two ago? I believe you posted about it here...?

Filed my claim with Ayer yesterday then went and spoke with Littleton PD about possible larceny charges. I am left with the impression they will not be pressing charges for my complaint alone however it was noted during conversation that he is on their radar. I did learn that I am free to press my own charges and to be quite honest, considering my experience with him, his history in NC and the folks who contacted me when I initially posted on CL, I'm half thinking about it.
    Is his shop in Littleton? I work in town, and don't know of him.

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    Is his shop in Littleton? I work in town, and don't know of him.
    Yes.

You don't know of him because, as evidenced by my experience with him, he isn't actually growing a company or interested in being a real business owner. His interests are more along the lines of perpetual liar and scammer.

The guys on NASIOC have done some heavy duty doxing if he’s not responding to you.

Including identifying a local kid who was ripping people off selling Mercedes rims, telling Roxbury Community College he was using their resources fraudulently, and telling his father as he lived st home.

Not sure that will help you get your money back as those kind of folks usually have negative net worth anyway.

I've definitely seen some interesting things go down on that forum in the 10-or-so years I've been there. They do have the resources for fun, that's for sure. I don't feel this is a situation that would require those resources as I have plenty of information on him. If anything, I'd be asking them to mess with him but there's hardly any value in doing that......of course, everyone is free to do as they see fit under their own accord. I know I have a person who contacted me via my CL ad and told me to "nail his balls to the wall. He get what he deserves."

I will not see my money back, plain and simple. I have reason to believe he owns nothing and almost certainly does not claim income and with that I doubt I would succeed with the attachments I'd be seeking in order to offset my losses. So his life, as I've come to understand it, has amounted to owning nothing, evading taxes and serving jail time every once in a while due to his poor business practices.

In Mass, a citizen’s application for (criminal) complaint might lead to court ordered restitution or jail, his choice...prosecutors are overworked and aren’t generally fans of being your bill collectors, however, especially when no one was physically injured and it’s all about hopping up a car. They are more enthusiast (and versed in) someone pawning grandma’s wedding ring without permission to buy heroin, or burglary from strangers for the same reason.

It might work to get you paid back, though, and even if you don’t get paid you might be able to vent to a judge about appropriate punishment, or at least discourage the dude from ripping off others in the same way. If you have contact info for other similarly situated victims, consider “larceny by single scheme”

You local district court criminal clerk’s office can steer you in the right direction...

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast