Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Crash sensor sends your location

Crash sensor sends your location

This sounds interesting.
    Something to consider if you ride alone alot.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/icedot-crash-sensor-notifies-your-loved-ones-after-you-eat-it-t/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Sam

Re: Crash sensor sends your location

I'd say that's worth the $200

Lifer

As long as it's just a fixed price, that sounds excellent. I really like the timer idea, great solution to the false alarm problem.

I do wish they had something that didnt require a phone, but I understand why they need it. If cellphone service contracts weren't so goofy, and they could create "basic" plans for non-talk/non-daily use contracts, you could have a small cellular chip in it with maybe a couple dollar a month service plan? Or per use service plan?

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    As long as it's just a fixed price, that sounds excellent. I really like the timer idea, great solution to the false alarm problem.
    First thing I thought of as well:

The ICEdot sensor will take note of the impact and start a countdown on its companion app. If the rider doesn't stop the timer before it reaches zero, ICEdot will notify emergency contacts with the user's last known GPS location and data on the severity of the accident.

I carry a Spot when riding alone. Doesn't do any good if you are unconscious, but it is an added security.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I carry a Spot when riding alone. Doesn't do any good if you are unconscious, but it is an added security.
    I was reading about that recently, but I found the $10/month service 'contract' to be a little much, but more importantly, reviews (mostly from REI, but other sites as well) really painted their company in a pretty poor light. one example
    Third, if the customer wants to cancel auto renewal, he must also cancel the rest of the year in which he had already paid. Spot claims that the customer can request a refund for the months he did not use. I have a feeling this process is filled with bureaucracy.
    Fourth, the customer has to request that the auto renewal be canceled 45 days before the end of the subscription period.
    Source : top review on the review tab of http://www.rei.com/product/784892/sp...messenger#tabs (cannot direct link)

Worse was that some people seem to report some problems such as GPS signal, fragile device, etc. So it's not like the company's BS is justified by the world's greatest product. I'm curious what your experiences are? I MTB alone, I motorcycle alone, and I go hiking with my gf, sometimes mildly far from the rest of the world. I'm interested in reliable ways to communicate an emergency, but I haven't found an option I really 'love'. The device linked sounds pretty cool, but it isn't out yet.

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

I had similar problems with the automatic renewal on satellite radio. The customer service was so bad I had to resort to a charge-back on my CC after I notified them both by phone and in writing that I wanted to terminate the automatic renewal, yet it renewed anyway.

That experience has made me weary of services with automatic renewal like that.

Intriguing indeed.

Gotta wonder though -

Take a spill? The ICEdot sensor will take note of the impact and start a countdown on its companion app. If the rider doesn't stop the timer before it reaches zero, ICEdot will notify emergency contacts with the user's last known GPS location and data on the severity of the accident
    Like...speed? I'd wanna be sure this couldn't be used as a big brother is watching kind of thing. (Thought I'd get that out there ahead of the normal tinfoil hat crew...)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Lifer

Don't worry Dave. Before you know it this technology will be federally mandated, under pressure from the insurance lobby. Just like that OBD plugin thing that rats on you from progressive. These are the same people who brought you mandatory TPMS and those asinine electric seat belts in the 90's.

'Safety' first, ya know.

Good idea but now someone needs to make an APP that does the same thing...just turn it on before you leave for a ride

I def do not want anything on me that can record every stupid thing I do on public roads. I like the safety aspect of it but I dont think I would use it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Good idea but now someone needs to make an APP that does the same thing...just turn it on before you leave for a ride
    bingo

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    bingo
    sell that shit 99c you d be fucking RICH in a month.
    any app developers around here?

I have not had any issues with the Spot. Works as advertised for me, and give wifey a bit of reassurance every time I hit the OK button. I wear it on my arm and reach over and press the button about every half hour or so, been through rain, cold, grizzly bear attacks, and zombie interactions, no problems. I don't remember having to sign up for auto renewal, I'll have to check the paperwork. But I use it enough that $100 a year is short money for piece of mind for me and the wife. We end up riding in some areas with very weak cell signal, so the satellite uplink is a benefit, somewhat. Also, if you open a free spot adventure membership, you can record your trips pretty easily for future reference.

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Don't worry Dave. Before you know it this technology will be federally mandated, under pressure from the insurance lobby. Just like that OBD plugin thing that rats on you from progressive. These are the same people who brought you mandatory TPMS and those asinine electric seat belts in the 90's.

'Safety' first, ya know.
    Already here. Take a look in at the newest Kawasaki Versys ECU and manual:

"Event Data Recorder

This vehicle is equipped at the factory with an event data recorder (EDR). The main purpose of this device is to record data that assists with understanding of how a vehicle's systems performed during a short period of time. Among other things, this data can help provide a better understanding of the circumstances in which crashes occur. This device does not collect or store personal data or information (eg name, gender, age) The EDR in this vehicle is designed to record such data as: vehicle speed, engine crankshaft rotational spped, throttle opening. To read the data recorded by the EDR, special equipment is required, and access to the vehicle or EDR is necessary. In addition to Kawasaki, other parties, such as law enforcement that have special equipment, can read the information if they have access to the EDR. Kawasaki does not access the EDR information without obtaining consent, unless pursuant to court order or where required by law enforcement, other government authorities, or other third parties acting with lawful authority. Other parties may seek to access the recorded date independently of Kawasaki."

Ducati had the same software, they use it to void warranties when buyers tachout brand new bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Ducati had the same software, they use it to void warranties when buyers tachout brand new bikes.
    fucking tachouters....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Lifer

The great 'blackbox'. Done in cars as well.

nedirtriders.com