Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Deer whistle?

Deer whistle?

Someone recently suggested that I affix a "deer whistle" to my bike. Has anyone tried this and do these whistles actually work or are these like the plug-in contraptions that are intended to scare away rodents (that don't)?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights." -- Maya Angelou

Re: Deer whistle?

I've used these.

http://www.deerwhistle.com/

They come out of Colorado but a bunch of people I know have sworn by them forever. and I must add none of them have wrecked vehicles, because of deer collisions....

TIMMYDUCK

Posting Freak

A friend of mine has those on the underside of his tank on his 09 vulcan. I've heard good and bad but riding with him has always been good thus far.

2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Ebony Edition
    Miles my first (this) season: 5800
    KAWASAKI RULES WOOOOO!

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    I've used these.

http://www.deerwhistle.com/

They come out of Colorado but a bunch of people I know have sworn by them forever. and I must add none of them have wrecked vehicles, because of deer collisions....
    Beauty. Thanks! One more question? Is this audible as you're cruising along at... (well, let's pretend) 55mph?

"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights." -- Maya Angelou

You can't hear them inside the car. My dad was using a similar product since he lives in Amish country PA. From what he says they work pretty good.

The best deterrent was figured out when I sold him my Acura CL with a CAI and throttle body spacer. It makes an ominous whistling noise that actually makes the deer run from the car

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Quote Originally Posted by schmuhl View Post
    Is this audible as you're cruising along at... (well, let's pretend) 55mph?
    Audible to you? Deer whistles are supposedly inaudible to human ears...so if you can hear it, check yourself for antlers. But to deer, who knows if they even work.

These things are hugely popular west of the Mississippi, in the mountain states. When I lived in South Dakota, they were literally on four out of five trucks/cars in the parking lots.

A friend of mine had them on his Cherokee. One day I noticed he only had one left on the bumper, so I asked what happened to the other one. Said he hit a deer.

I have tried them but the deer never come....

...cat calls never worked for me either. I get dirty looks from women. But cats? Nope, not a one....

Last edited by DucDave; 01-14-10 at 11:13 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.