Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

? for Ducati owners

? for Ducati owners

I've always been a big fan of Ducatis, but occasionally hear that having a Ducati will only make me a better mechanic, and issues with valves and other urban legends,(or so I hope). Either way, I still want one and thinking about selling my bike and getting one before spring. My question pertains to some certain models that are at a nearby dealer, and wondering if people could shed some light on features, problems, or lack thereof.
    1)1999 900 SSH, 0 miles, $7695.00

2)2000 900 SSF, 0 miles, $8995.00

3)2000 996 BIP, 0 miles, $9145.00

I found all these at the dealer in Brockton, Ma. @ Dunbar Euro-sports, I love the BIP, but again, these bikes while still brand new, are almost a decade old, any advice, positive or not is more than welcome and thanks in advance.
    - bryan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: ? for Ducati owners

2v air cooled...very reliable and less costly to maintain.

I vaguely recall some rags commenting on how much easier the 998 was to maintain than the 996...which leads me to think that I'd pass on the 996..

I had an St2 2 valve that I put 72k on before trading for the Multi. I also have a 1999 750SS that I have been beating on the track for 4 years....holding up well!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I personally really like the air cooled 2V engines. They are reliable, not that hard to work on and there are a ton of mod's you can do to them.

If you like modifying a bike to fit your needs the SS models are a good choice. For the street the 900 has all the grunt you will ever need. Plus it has such a broad power band that dancing on the shifter is not necessary. Not to mention NOTHING sounds as good as a Duc through a nice set of pipes! However if you want to go really fast in straight lines the 2V's are not a good choice, you will get smoked. You would be better off with a Jap I4 then.

As far as handling goes the SS model can handle very well. It does take some set-up though to make it turn easier. They are long and tend to require more input then most Jap sport bikes. Additionally the SS is not the most comfortable bike for long rides. The tank is HUGE and the bars a fairly far forward. All these things can easily be changed, and some people like the stability that the factory set-up gives you.

I personally race a SS and own a 2V Monster, so all of my comments are biased. I love the air cooled engines for their simplicity, broad and smooth power and of course sound. Ok there is my .02 worth.

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

is it just my lack of knowledge about the bikes, or is the only difference between the ssh and ssf the lower fairing? and also, being air cooled, any problems in traffic or during the summer?

Air cooled SuperSports are awesome.
    My question would be how were those bikes stored and do they have a warantee? I bought my SS as a 2 year old left over. It came with a 2 year warrantee from the date I bought it, so 4 years after it was made.

My biggest problem was it may not have been stored properly. In the 1st 1,000 miles I had numerous problems including leaky gaskets and rubber seals among other larger things. In total without the factory warrantee I would have had to pay close to $3,000 within 3 months of buying it. Some say I just got a lemon, but it has been fine ever since.

Not sure how much of that you may endure with a zero mile bike. Maybe some of the service guys can chime in here on 9 year old bikes that have never been run.

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    is it just my lack of knowledge about the bikes, or is the only difference between the ssh and ssf the lower fairing? and also, being air cooled, any problems in traffic or during the summer?
    F is for full fairing
    H is for Half fairing.

You can always buy the fairings later. I converted my F to an H and I prefer the H for heat and engine showing bling. The full fairing did hold more heat than I liked. Upwards of 250 degrees. The half fairing never goes over 230 degrees.

I am not sure about the SSh and the SSf but I think you are correct.

As far as running hot. I have on very hot days in the summer got stuck in traffic (Hampton Beach, NH) where I was concerned about over heating. Of course I was stuck in bumper to bumper for 45 min at less than a walking pace, it sucked! Other than that I have never had any over heating issues. I only use Synthetic 20W50 oil in the street bike to help with oil break down during the summer.

As a side note you will know if your valves need adjustment when it gets really hot. Your idle will change noticeably more when they are out of adjustment and the engine is near the top of it's operating temp.

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

I only really have concerns with labor, right now im on a kawasaki 650r, which is a simple two cylinder that can be fixed at any good shop, is this going to be like owning a ferrari with super expensive oil changes and maintainence ?

I only really have concerns with labor, right now im on a kawasaki 650r, which is a simple two cylinder that can be fixed at any good shop, is this going to be like owning a ferrari with super expensive oil changes and maintainence ?
    No....it will be like owning a Ferrari with normal cost for oil changes and maintainence!!!

I have about the same mechanical appitude as a Meercat and do my own oil changes, brakes, etc. The only thing I don't do, (cus I'm chicken), are the valves.

Steve - do you do your own valves? Would you teach me?

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Why do they have 10 year old "New" bikes?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I just asked myself that same question and decided to call them, cool folks to deal with me and my dumb questions. Ends up the 996 is used with 0 miles, but I like the ss better anyway, the owner said they were misplaced in the warehouse, and both come with the full 2 year warranty. Do these seem like good prices for a new old stock Duc with the warranty, or do I keep looking?

I just asked myself that same question and decided to call them, cool folks to deal with me and my dumb questions. Ends up the 996 is used with 0 miles, but I like the ss better anyway, the owner said they were misplaced in the warehouse, and both come with the full 2 year warranty. Do these seem like good prices for a new old stock Duc with the warranty, or do I keep looking?
    You can get used ones with low low miles alot cheaper if you ask me. Wait a few months and folks will be giving Ducati's away...

CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 KTM 560 SMR - 2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2002-2006

Ends up the 996 is used with 0 miles

Exacarry.

If you are concerned about resale at all the 996 is the way to go. Even though the Bi-Posto Superbikes don't hold their value as much as the Mono's it is still a Superbike. But you said it was "used with 0 miles" so even though it has no miles it was titled and that means no more warranty. I'd stay far far away from a bike that hasn't been ridden in nearly 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    I vaguely recall some rags commenting on how much easier the 998 was to maintain than the 996...which leads me to think that I'd pass on the 996..
    You should know why. The 996 is a Desmoquatro motor and the 998 is a Testastrada motor. The 998 is the best of both worlds, xx6 styling with xx9 mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post
    Not sure how much of that you may endure with a zero mile bike. Maybe some of the service guys can chime in here on 9 year old bikes that have never been run.
    Seals dry out, cylinders get surface rust, all the fluids go bad with age. I'd rather have a properly maintained 10 year old bike with 25,000 miles on it than a never used 10 year old bike with 0 miles. Moving parts are meant to move, stuff starts breaking when they aren't moving on a regular basis.

Unofficial self proclaimed official NESR plumber.

"Ah shit son, datz be a Ducati!"-Random kid in Methuen.

I have been in there multiple times. The guy who owns it is a former racer, quite a fast one I believe. They are a reputable dealer, I would not expect any funny stuff from them.

They are really stubborn on price.

I mean really stubborn.

I tried to buy one of those SS's last year and they would not budge. I think that they are priced like 1500 bucks off the original MSRP's. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

I would expect to replace any plastic parts, like hoses, tires etc as well as belts. They SHOULD throw it in free.

I would go for the 996. Try and get it for like 8500 bucks with the work done and some type of warrantee.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by naked-daytrader View Post
    Wait a few months and folks will be giving Ducati's away...
    Why?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Steve - do you do your own valves? Would you teach me?
    Yes Dave I do my valves myself. Have since 2000 when I bought the Monster.
    It is really easy once you do it a few times. The big thing is to take your time and do not force anything! Then check all your adjustments one more time before you button it up. I'll let you know when I do one of the bikes this winter. However the Monster hasn't needed an adjustment in years due to the
    low mileage I have put on it (a few K a year). It hasn't needed an adjustment in about 10,000 miles due to MBP collets and having dialed it in perfect last time.

I will however be tearing down the race engine, so once it goes back together I will need to do that one. Late winter should be the time frame for that.

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

So after reading the warrantee part being 2 years from purchase that 900H Supersport looks lie the deal. Get it for $7,000 delivered with the 600 mile service included.

I'd probably stay away from the 996. It seems to have been more likely to have flaking rocker problems than others.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    I'd probably stay away from the 996. It seems to have been more likely to have flaking rocker problems than others.
    +1

The 996 will definitly be more expensive maintenance wise.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

If you're looking to buy from a Dealer, those are great choices especially if they come with a warranty. Tom (owner) is a great, knowledgeable guy who has been around a WHILE in the Ducati business, so you know the shop isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

If you're looking for used, and to get it from another reputable dealer, checkout: http://www.nationalpowersports.net/inventory.aspx they have quite a few Ducs currently at awesome prices. Nate (owner) is another cool guy who turned that shop into a business that started working out of a garage. He used to race on a Youhoo sponsored vintage bike (RD), and is also a guy who won't steer you wrong.

You can't go wrong either way, great time to be lookin for a nice used Ducati I also have a lead on a '96 900SS/SP (earlier style, carbed bike, in great shape) for $4k. This one is a beaut with tons of recent attention.

Happy Duc Hunt!

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by BCT748 View Post

You should know why. The 996 is a Desmoquatro motor and the 998 is a Testastrada motor. The 998 is the best of both worlds, xx6 styling with xx9 mechanics.
    Ed zachary....

Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Why?
    Why?

Because unemployment is going up up up and the economy isn't getting better. People don't have the money to afford toys like motorcycles anymore like they used too. Obviously this doesn't apply to all folks but alot more folks than last year I would imagine. So if people aren't buying a 6k-9k motorcycle due to the economy there are certainly more people who can't afford a 10k-14k motrocycle. Those folks who own the expensive bikes who are financially hurting, ae going to drop their prices to unload them.Couple that with the cold winter and you have the perfect storm for a cheap Ducati, say sometime around the late January-Febuary time frame. I'm sure you'll see a few great deals out there if you look hard enough. I'm planning on picking up a nice 999S for cheap money, that's the plan anyway...

Hope this helps manny

Best,

Mark

Last edited by naked-daytrader; 12-01-08 at 05:47 AM.
    CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 KTM 560 SMR - 2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2002-2006

just my two cents:
    i have a carb'd 900SS and maintenance is easy i do all my own work and outside of getting at the valves to check being a bitch its not bad. but since your probably gonnna end up modding it you might as well try and find a used bike with some mods already done. Especially with the cost of a good set of slipons and a jet kit/tune + power commander or maybe something a bit more major I cant imagine paying that much for an SS even if it is "new", thats the price range for a used 9xx superbike! check out nedoc.org for some good deals on used bikes: I bought my 97 carbie 900 for $2000 and it only needed a bit of work to be mint!

I just pulled these out of the classifieds over there:

04 800SS with 56 Miles for $3900 (has wet clutch though)

2000 750SS w/ silmoto carbon exhaust $3700

02 750 SS carbon slipons, solo tail $3000

If you want a Carbie, cause thats a "real" Ducati my friend ted has one of his bikes up for sale

Yellow 1997 900sssp with 13,903 miles w/ 12k service done
    * Michelin Pilot Power in the front and a Pilot Power 2CT in the rear
    * rebuilt clutch slave
    * new stainless steel brake and clutch lines
    * CRG bar end mirror
    * Pro-Grip gel grips

$3500
    * Micron mufflers
    * DynoJet Stage 2 jet kit

if you want a superbike:

01 748 Biposto 3500 miles
    - Ohlins adjustable steering damper (same as those that come on the 1098S)
    - CF Termignoni slip-ons
    - Adjustable rear-sets (Bike is currently setup as a GP shift)
    - CF chain guard on the swing arm
    - CF swing arm cover
    - CF rear fender
    - CF fender eliminator (turn signals are mounted inside the tail -visible through vents).
    - CF intake covers
    - CF radiator cover (behind the front wheel)
    - Double bubble wind screen
    - Adjustable link

$5800

Like I said they say, nothing stops a party barge.

97' Ducati 900SS - Sometimes runs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast