Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

East Coast Wheels

East Coast Wheels

It really pains me to write a bad review, but I am so disappointed with how things went with my order from East Coast Wheels.

I am playing around with my TTR 125 and turning it into a mini motard. I use it for cone courses that I set up in our parking lot. I have been just using dual sport tires, but I wanted to lace up some 17"s and run 125 GP tires. There are basicly 2 companies that I know of that do this regularly, Procycle and East Coast Wheels. I went with ECW because they are closer and Innovative Motorcycle Research recommended them to me. Placing the order was quick and easy. I ordered the rims and spokes for my TTR 125L on July 2nd, and I was told that they would be there the next day. Everything going well so far.

The next day, I got the package after I got home from work and got started lacing everything up. I started with the back wheel, and I was happy to find that I didn't have to drill the hubs for the heavier spokes. The back wheel went together great. I then got started on the front, and after getting 3 spokes started, I realized that the spokes they sent were way too short. They sent the spokes for a TTR 125 (drum front brake) not for a TTR 125L (disk). It was now after 9pm on July 3rd, and they were not going to be back in the shop until Tuesday.

Tuesday morning I started calling, and after a few attempts I got a hold of someone. I was then told that the new ones would be sent to me. Thursday I called back and it took about 20 calls before I could reach someone (their answering machine picks up after 4 rings and noone returns messages, there seems to be only 2 people working there). I was then told that the spokes would not be going out this week and that I should get them early next week. I told them why it was important to me to have them before the weekend, and he suggested that I call Buchanen and order them directly. This didn't seem like a viable option, and Buchanen is located in CA, so I still wouldn't get the spokes on time. ECW then said that they will try to work something out and they would call me back tomorrow.

Friday, no calls all day, then I started to call them back to see what the story was. Several calls in an hour and a half time frame, and no answer. By then, it was 6pm and they were closed. The following tuesday, I got on the phone again, and this time after being put on hold for 20 minutes and having to call back (by this time, I am very skeptical about the ability to reach anyone there) I got a short answer saying the spokes would be sent out Wednesday. Yesterday came, and I got the spokes, but the nipples they sent were too big for the holes in the rim they drilled. I went the use the nipples from the other spokes, but found that there was only 35 of them. I ended up having to drill the rim for the new nipples and finally assembled the front wheel.

I honestly can not recommend this company to anyone. I have spent roughly $10,000 this year on various parts and accessories form many different vendors. Not everyone has gotten everything right, but some (like GP Tech) had gone out of their way to correct mistakes and will earn my business again. I will most likely be riding a motard sometime in the near future, and I am sure that I will need wheel related stuff. I will not be ordering anything from ECW.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by eboos; 07-18-08 at 03:15 PM.

Re: East Coast Wheels

Sounds like things haven't changed much at East Coast Wheels in the past 5 years I haven't delt with them in a few years but when I bought wheel sets from them, I had nothing but trouble dealing with them. Same thing as you, you call and they don't call back...then say it will be there a certain date and that date comes and goes only to find out a week later that the parts were always on backorder. If I ever build another supermoto, my wheels will be coming from my local dealer

Yamaha

Nobody I know locally (including the dealership that I work at) deals with a distributor that carrys 17x2.5 rims that I need for the front wheel. This rims come blank, and you have to have them drilled.

Moot point however, my next one will be a full size supermoto.

theres a thread on supermotojunkie expressing the shittiness of this company

Tuono