Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

GBM - greater boston motorsports

Lifer

GBM - greater boston motorsports

Stopped in today for a spark plug. After Parts guy asks me what I need and what bike he disappears out back. Walking passed the spark plugs. Two minutes later old parts guy appears. Asks me what I need and what kind of bike. Brings up a spark plug then tells me I don't want it and he'll get me an alternative plug. Picks out a few other plugs, then tells me all about threads, heat ratings, coatings, torque, and asks me if I ride all flat out racing. The alternative plug is not iridium like the spec and recommended plug. He tells me the honda spec plug is $43.00. The plug that I've looked up online last night which retails for Retail: $21.69 http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/oem-parts/HONDA/2007/CRF250R/CYLINDER-HEAD/SPARK-PLUG-%28R0409B_8%29-%28NGK%29/31911-KRN-731.

Double the price trying to support a local business. Obviously I didn't buy from GBM, and I'll save myself the trip and trouble in the future.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Re: GBM - greater boston motorsports

Ive noticed that too. Id rather support local businesses, but OEM parts for 1/3 more than online? A little ridiculous. But they're probably preying on the idiots.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Stopped in today for a spark plug. After Parts guy asks me what I need and what bike he disappears out back. Walking passed the spark plugs. Two minutes later old parts guy appears. Asks me what I need and what kind of bike. Brings up a spark plug then tells me I don't want it and he'll get me an alternative plug. Picks out a few other plugs, then tells me all about threads, heat ratings, coatings, torque, and asks me if I ride all flat out racing. The alternative plug is not iridium like the spec and recommended plug. He tells me the honda spec plug is $43.00. The plug that I've looked up online last night which retails for Retail: $21.69 http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/oem-parts/HONDA/2007/CRF250R/CYLINDER-HEAD/SPARK-PLUG-%28R0409B_8%29-%28NGK%29/31911-KRN-731.

Double the price trying to support a local business. Obviously I didn't buy from GBM, and I'll save myself the trip and trouble in the future.

Haha, the funny thing is that from Honda that plug actually retails for $19.72..... so, you're local guy is probably just an idiot, but your online guy is ripping you off.

LRRS #313

Lifer

Not even 1/3rd, it's about double MSRP. That's exactly what I told him too. I told him I want the correct plug for the bike, and I'm trying to support their local business but I'm not paying double MSRP. I also could have gone without being spoken to like an idiot and the elaborate details of what a spark plugs is.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

He must've given you the asshole price.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by WinVT View Post
    Haha, the funny thing is that from Honda that plug actually retails for $19.72..... so, you're local guy is probably just an idiot, but your online guy is ripping you off.
    He's an idiot because the dealership has a huge markup, but I'm getting ripped off paying $2 more? Where do you find 19.72 listed as retail price?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    He must've given you the asshole price.
    Are you still crying into your pillow about your hurt feelings? Maybe you should take some Midol.

He's an idiot because the dealership has a huge markup, but I'm getting ripped off paying $2 more? Where do you find 19.72 listed as retail price?
    http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/462458

I just looked it up on Honda's dealer site. In my opinion he must have looked you up the wrong plug or something. I can't see any way that they actually try to get away with charging 2x MSRP. I'm not defending the dealership at all. He is either an idiot for looking up the wrong plug or insane for trying to charge that much..... but either way, the online site is definitely charging over retail for the plug.

And no, I don't think paying $2.00 over retail is getting ripped off, but it is kind of sleezy how they show you getting a "discount" off of their marked up retail.

LRRS #313

Lifer

I bought my plugs locally... from advance auto parts.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I got my plugs for by f4i from GBM for 18.xx which where the OEM iridium ones. Which i know is still to much but I was in a pinch but 43 is crazy

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

Haven't we all learned our lesson with GBM/Cycles128/Parkway by now? Has anyone ever had consistently good service there?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I've gotta say I've had reasonably good service at all those places. Granted I would never let them touch anything I own but when I've gone in with a list of OEM part numbers and the guy types it into his computer I've at least gotten MSRP pricing.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

sparkplugs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Haven't we all learned our lesson with GBM/Cycles128/Parkway by now? Has anyone ever had consistently good service there?
    I have......shop there often and talk to the right people and I don't cry like a little girl if they get it wrong. No dealer is going to charge the same as any online source EVER but if they can make it closer in price they have.

I have dealt with this at other dealerships and GBM has come along way and gotten away from the OLD GBM....or at least from what I can see.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    I have......shop there often and talk to the right people and I don't cry like a little girl if they get it wrong. No dealer is going to charge the same as any online source EVER but if they can make it closer in price they have.

I have dealt with this at other dealerships and GBM has come along way and gotten away from the OLD GBM....or at least from what I can see.
    So you would pay $43 for a $20 spark plug?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    sparkplugs.com
    $33.82

So you would pay $43 for a $20 spark plug?
    I would allready know the price before I even got there ......some things are not even close in price as online so I buy there but if thats my only option and need to get the bike running YES I would have and have....so

Just need to be smarter than the parts counter help and know your numbers.... doesn't take much

Try buying Jet ski parts here in the NE VS. in AZ where they do a 24/7 jet ski business....then you wont be so unhappy

I deal with Billy in the parts department. He's always treated me right and gives me a fair price on what I've bought. EX: Yuasa YTZ12S online was $140, I needed right away so I bought it from him $161 out the door. I think that's fair. If I wasn't in a pinch I could have bought online for $13 less.

Don't know about those spark plugs though

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Billy is awesome but most of the time he works in clothing upstairs.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    I would allready know the price before I even got there ......some things are not even close in price as online so I buy there but if thats my only option and need to get the bike running YES I would have and have....so

Just need to be smarter than the parts counter help and know your numbers.... doesn't take much

Try buying Jet ski parts here in the NE VS. in AZ where they do a 24/7 jet ski business....then you wont be so unhappy
    Piggy, I don't even know what the hell you're talking about; but I acknowledge how boldly you're saying it.

Thank You SIR..............not many can figure it out but those who do are a tad bit SMAhTer LOLOLOLZ

Just called GBM, they sell that plug for $21.99, so they are a little above retail. I'm just amazed that everyone keeps saying "obviously online is going to be a lot cheaper!", when the online site is also selling the part for above retail. If you came into our shop today and bought the plug it would be $19.72.

LRRS #313

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

I would have made that spark plug fit an orifice it wasn't designed for.

It's a damn rip off. Those spark plugs are less than $10 dealer price. I think any business that sells significantly above MSRP is scummy and ill go elsewhere.

I'll pay a dealer more than online price in order to get it right now. I also sympathies with their overheads, but 100% markup OVER MSRP say "fuck you mr customer", not "thank you, can I help you with anything else".

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

I would have made that spark plug fit an orifice it wasn't designed for.

It's a damn rip off. Those spark plugs are less than $10 dealer price. I think any business that sells significantly above MSRP is scummy and ill go elsewhere.

I'll pay a dealer more than online price in order to get it right now. I also sympathies with their overheads, but 100% markup OVER MSRP say "fuck you mr customer", not "thank you, can I help you with anything else".
    Where do you see dealer cost being less than $10? Dealer cost through Honda is about $14.00 and I don't see it being much less in an NGK plug even from another supplier...

LRRS #313

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast