Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good mechanic to track down an SV650 electrical problem near Waltham, MA?

Good mechanic to track down an SV650 electrical problem near Waltham, MA?

Got an electrical problem with my SV650 - riding to work this morning I made it about a mile from my house and it started cutting out - lights, gauges, ignition, everything, just as if someone was turning the key off and on.

Anyone know a good mechanic somehwere near Waltham, MA? I hate trusting anybody with my vehicles but I really don't feel like chasing this one down by myself in my driveway.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2002 SV650N - Daily Commuter
    www.fennario.us - my Grateful Dead tribute band

Re: Good mechanic to track down an SV650 electrical problem near Waltham, MA?

sounds like just a loose wire somewhere or maybe your reg/rectifier going.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
    1972 Honda CL70

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty the Scoob View Post
    Got an electrical problem with my SV650 - riding to work this morning I made it about a mile from my house and it started cutting out - lights, gauges, ignition, everything, just as if someone was turning the key off and on.

Anyone know a good mechanic somehwere near Waltham, MA? I hate trusting anybody with my vehicles but I really don't feel like chasing this one down by myself in my driveway.

I would look it over first cause what you are describing could be just a loose wire on the Battery...so for 75$ thats Rape Rape......look it over save some $$$'s

Yeah, you guys are probably right... I'm just not in the mood to work on it after spending $120 to have it towed like 3 miles. But I'm in no mood to load it onto my trailer, either.

Also - Every day that I don't ride it to work it costs me at least $12 in parking and $6.50 or so in gas... so if I don't figure it out fast, I might as well have taken it in...

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Take the seat off and make sure the battery cables are tight.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post
    Take the seat off and make sure the battery cables are tight.
    and clean. Ask me to show you at the shop when you come by today.

Drop it at Landrics Boston Moto if it's not the loose cables. I have an extensive background in electronics. I'm sure I can figure it out for you. And there is a Nesr discount on the labor. Pm me or call 774-200-6395

Degsy: "i never had red hair"

some people crash because it is out of their control
    others crash because They are out of control

http://www.landricscustoms.com

Thanks, guys!

I made an attempt at tightening the battery cables before even calling AAA but all I had were the tools from under my seat.... it'll definitely worth taking another shot at it with real tools. I'd love to hear any and all thoughts you have on the matter, Ted! See you in a couple of hours.

Plan B will be to tow it down to Landric. You're reachable over the weekend?

not sure how u plan on getting it there but dont have it towed lol. I'm sure rich will charge u a lot less to pick it up that those damn towing companies.

Bergs what was wrong with laurens bike at the track that time it shut off in the bowl. i remeber u fixed it dont remember what u fixed tho

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

I'm reachable this weekend. Yes. And we can pick it up for you if need be. Location??

Quote Originally Posted by Danz19899 View Post
    Bergs what was wrong with laurens bike at the track that time it shut off in the bowl. i remeber u fixed it dont remember what u fixed tho
    The issue with the regulator/ rectifier? Fried connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty the Scoob View Post

Call Rich 774-200-6395, affordable, great service. You'll be very happy. I'm saying this from past experience.

2004 Yahama RX-Z
    2004 Yamaha 125-Z
    2008 Honda CBR 600RR, bitch is SOLD

Castrol R30

Can't go wrong with Landric's ......

thanks bergs sounds like a similar problem on this sv.

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Quote Originally Posted by landricscustoms View Post
    I'm reachable this weekend. Yes. And we can pick it up for you if need be. Location??
    I'm in Waltham... I can trailer it but it's not easy, especially if it doesn't run. BTDT.

Fried connections on the R/R, eh? R/Rs seem to be a common problem on these SVs, so I upgraded mine to one from (IIRC) a CBR600. I'll definitely be pulling the plastics tomorrow to have a look at it.

Check your grounds, check your connectors on the harness and check any terminals on the battery. You'd be surprised how easy it is to spot a loose connection.

If it has a wire going into it, make sure it is tight. It is also a good idea to unplug then plug back in every connector you can spot under the seat and up the wiring harness. SV is pretty easy to work on due to the hinged tank.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar

def check your battery terminals and your battery frame ground for corrosion.

give me a call if you need my help

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

"Roadside assistance" is $39 a year for all your vehicles with AMA membership.

Grounds, check all your grounds (like they all said).

That is a good tip about the AMA! I need to go look into that as soon as I'm done wrenching.

The electrical problem seems to have been just a loose battery cable, not even visibly dirty. I tightened both connections again with real tools instead of under-seat tools and it fired right up. I hope it's ok to Lock-Tite them, because I did. $120 and a wasted morning, ugh.

Quick question about my new chain - do I leave that thick white paste-like grease on it or clean it off? It feels like it's going to collect every loose piece of dirt and dust within 5 miles.

Ignore that premature success post. I made it to the end of my street and back, and now it's dead again.

Looks like the ignition - if I turn the key past the steering lock to the parking-light setting, the light goes on - but when turning the key to the actual ON position the bike stays off.

So it's off to Landric tomorrow, and hopefully back asap. I hate riding the train to work and it's damn expensive.

your in great hands Dan, i'll pick her up tmrw afternoon and get her back to you asap

Quote Originally Posted by landricscustoms View Post
    your in great hands Dan, i'll pick her up tmrw afternoon and get her back to you asap
    I feel really good about this! I'm glad it's finally getting some real help!

Can you also double-check my rear-wheel alignment, please? I want to know if I'm doing a good enough job for commuting. (I left the cotter-pin off on purpose.... I'd have put one in if it were ridable)

So what was the diagnosis?

Just curious as I also have a SV.

Me no likey crash

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

We repaired it a couple of weeks ago at Boston Moto. Took a while to diagnose and a few days to get terminal pins in the oem type but she's good to go. I'll let dan chime in with the fix details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast