Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Michelin Pilot Road 3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote Originally Posted by carsick
    I put on a set of PR3's this year, 180/120. They did everything perfectly except last a long time. The rear was done after 3500 miles including one trackday, the front is faring better but only has a couple thousand left in it, might get 6000 if I run it bald. I didn't notice any extra life over my previous set of Pilot Power 2CT's (less even), but the siping on the 3's gave me better traction in the wet and cold. Definitely soft sides, the cornering traction is great but I wore the sides off the rear before the center. I treated these tires well, considering I paid more for them than I have for any tire before. Perhaps I am a tire killer? Many people noticed the tread pattern and asked me about them, there was a clear line between loved/hated the siped design appearance. I wanted to extend my riding season and do longer trips so I went for them, never noticed any performance lacking, just wished the life were longer. How do you folks get such high mileage out of tires??
    What kind of bike? I ride hard and got bout 7k out of them with a few burnouts that didn't help any lol

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Corey

Re: Michelin Pilot Road 3

FJ1200. Kind of heavy and I really do like the throttle leaned over coming out of corners. Absolutely no burnouts, BTDT and can't afford with tires like these. Plus the rubber is horrid to get off the white plastics.

I have always believed that downshifting is a good rear tire killer. If you lost the sides first my hats off to you, but perhaps raise the pressure a little.

On my Vee I have only got a tiny amount more mileage than on my Gixer 1k... so its me. I read reports of Vee owners going 14K on Anakee 2's and I won't see 6.

My plan is to put road2 on the rear. I do intend on being on dirt roads and unless there is glowing reports can't believe there is any traction in wet clay with the pr3

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Its a triple thing... THEbananaDZL's Avatar

I recently ran the PR3's on my Tona 675 for an entire season and I have to say that overall I like them. I ride my bike hard, I ride 3.5 seasons a year. I rip up the twisties, commute to school and work, ride in the rain, sometimes snow, and ride with passengers often.

PRO's
    - Fantastic in wet riding! I got stuck in a total downpour coming home from NHMS and even with about an inch of water on the road they handled, braked, and accelerated great
    - Longevity, my rear has lasted 6k miles if not more, a lot of that is with a passenger in the twisties, and the front is still going strong. just now the rear has started to square off
    - Looks, people always seem to comment on the radical design of the tread

CONs
    -Price, I paid almost 600 mounted at a local shop..... steep for a college student if you ask me, I would shop around if I were you
    - Tires take longer too warm up and don't as warm or sticky as my old Pirellies

OVERVIEW- Great for the commuter who is looking for a long lasting tire but who also enjoys spirited rips through the twisties often. Tires felt solid in the corners and were fantastic in the rain. HINT... To get the most out of your set of PR3's check the tire pressure often and make sure they are properly inflated. I run 38psi rear 36psi front on a daily basis but when I plan to go for a ride in the corners I drop the pressure a few PSI in both the front and rear. If I don't do this I can feel the tires want to more around more in the corners, just a personal experience.

I am only a 20 year old college student so this post may mean absolutely nothing but just my two cents, hope it helps you and others out. Let us know what you end up doing!

-Alec

'08 Triumph Daytona 675

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

In corners you can feel the sipes which to me wasn't confidence inspiring, I liked them but I like the pures much better.
    i didnt like the center grooves on the pures. tends to cause the rear to "streetcar" a bit. i noticed it on Rays bike going over T5

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    i didnt like the center grooves on the pures. tends to cause the rear to "streetcar" a bit. i noticed it on Rays bike going over T5
    what do you mean by "streetcar"? and i use them for street use, not track.

they tend to follow the cracks in the road. like a streetcar follows the tracks. this makes the rear feel like its breaking loose or getting squirrely. make the front do the same thing.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01
    they tend to follow the cracks in the road. like a streetcar follows the tracks. this makes the rear feel like its breaking loose or getting squirrely. make the front do the same thing.
    Hmm I never noticed that with them. Ray had also run warmers on them for 2 days straight, Degsy took his bike out and brought it back in because he said the tires were fucked!

Corey

Why do you run tire warmers for two days on street tires?

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya One View Post
    Why do you run tire warmers for two days on street tires?
    I don't! I was referencing the bike that oxx and degsy both rode that had Pures on it, it was not there bike and the owner of the bike was advised to not run warmers but choose to do otherwise.

Tire warmers do more damage to tires than help them for sure.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

it didnt feel or sound like it was spinning. and it didnt do it anywhere past just off center like you would be going over T5. when i would move back across the track for T6 i would cross over the long cracks in the middle of the track and that when it would start to streetcar on me. Granted, this is my only experience with them.
    the old dunlop 207 fronts would do it a littole because they had a continuous line down the center of the tire

Last edited by SVRACER01; 01-05-12 at 09:00 AM.

Does anyone have an idea about PR3 and wet dirt/mud?

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Lifer

For you full on 'ADV' crack-heads, they now have a 'trail' version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWzXLuEiPIk

I bought a pair of regular, non-trail versions to replace the factory rubber on my 'strom this week.

Lifer

Well, this thread made my mind up! PR3s for me!!

High maintenance priss

+1. I think I'm going to get some PR3's for double-duty: street + intermediate rains for TD use. My current street tire is a PR2.

been trying to decide what to put on my k1300s this month...looks like it'll be a set of PR3's.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Try a PR3 rear and a PP front. It's a great combo wet or dry and they wear together. I have them on my K13S.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Michelin Pilot Road 3-cimg0004-jpg  

I'll take the frost heaves on a twisty road over a smooth slab any day of the week.

Lifer

I mounted these up last night. Tonight I have to set the bead and remount on the bike.

I cannot find an alignment dot on these tires. Am I missing it? Or does Michelin not do that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12