Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Motorcycle GPS

Re: Motorcycle GPS

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    I mean, who really "wants" to be out riding and actually have an idea as to where they're going?
    There's no rule that says you have to use the GPS at all times.

I have my Zumo 550 mounted when I ride to see what roads go where, even when I don't have a destination in mind. It's also great for finding things like gas stations, restaurants and pubs.

And then, after a long day, it shows me the way home.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Shawn King
    Host/Executive Producer
    Your Bike Life
    http://www.yourbikelife.com

I don't think I can justify purchasing a zumo even with the water resistance and larger touch icons. I mean...will you really be riding in the rain that many times or be caught in a rain storm during a weekend ride? I would think you would of checked the forecast before going out for a long ride. And the large icons...would you really be changing routes while you are riding? I am just going to use my Nuvi 250 and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    I don't think I can justify purchasing a zumo even with the water resistance and larger touch icons. I mean...will you really be riding in the rain that many times or be caught in a rain storm during a weekend ride? I would think you would of checked the forecast before going out for a long ride.
    Weathermen aren't perfect. If you ride any distance, you are *going* to get caught in the rain.

Water resistance isn't the only plus - Bike specific GPS's are also often "hardened" for the abuse of vibration a bike generates.
    And the large icons...would you really be changing routes while you are riding?
    Sure - I've done it. But the biggest advantage of the larger buttons is you don't need to take your gloves off to make changes.

Shawn King
    Host/Executive Producer
    Your Bike Life
    http://www.yourbikelife.com

I don't think I can justify purchasing a zumo even with the water resistance and larger touch icons. I mean...will you really be riding in the rain that many times or be caught in a rain storm during a weekend ride? I would think you would of checked the forecast before going out for a long ride. And the large icons...would you really be changing routes while you are riding? I am just going to use my Nuvi 250 and call it a day.
    the Nuvi 250 also doesn't come with a motorcycle specific hardware.
    The mount which screws down and, to the best my knowledge, prevents it from even accidentally popping out on the road.
    The power cable with bare leads for hard wiring.
    The carrying pouch so when you stow it, it doesn't get wrecked.
    The cool little motorcycle icon, okay, I'm guessing on this one, I didn't check my Nuvi first

Also, I like just having the GPS on so it does the tracking. This helps me find the roads I discovered and really liked. I'll throw a waypoint at the end of the road for quick reference, but it also shows me where I got on the road.

And like someone said, having someone help you find your way home is always a good thing.

Its worth every penny and yes, you will get caught in the rain sometime if you ride all day or on a trip. You can find a Zumo for 500-600 and it comes with the car mount as well as bike mount. I think it was a sound investment. I love mine and have a mount on both of my bikes for it.

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

Dr Q : Last resort Medic Qfactor's Avatar

I use my Tomtom one in the map pocket of tank bag for occasions I need to get somewhere. Power to an aux outlet off of the battery charger tail.

dirt cheap ($125-150), works great, and fits in pocket.

decent without Northeast software, but not perfect. will be buying the software for NA east in the spring.

Q

"Ami blaireau, comme t'es nul au cronos..."

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."

Quote Originally Posted by Ćheese View Post

Not to get off topic, but what's the name of the road you travel between points 20, 21 and 22?

And back on topic, I am looking at getting a cheapy GPS. Looking at the older garmin's or the tom tom one.

Last edited by Stiggy; 02-11-09 at 08:47 AM.

I've used the cheap car units on the bike and wasn't impressed with them at all.

One shut off from being too hot after sitting in the map pocket of the tankbag
    and the other one shut off randomly, I think from vibrations and/or heat

Last edited by noxin; 02-11-09 at 10:28 AM.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
    Not to get off topic, but what's the name of the road you travel between points 20, 21 and 22?

And back on topic, I am looking at getting a cheapy GPS. Looking at the older garmin's or the tom tom one.
    first rule of that road is not to discuss that road

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01
    first rule of that road is not to discuss that road

Stiggaty,
    See? I tried to tell ya...

ok, What road? *cue X-files music*

Last edited by Stiggy; 02-11-09 at 08:46 PM.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

wait..what?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I use my VZ Navigator in my pocket with the audio routed through my Nady headset. Yeah, I have to stop to re-route however it's free w/my cell pkg.

Just Registered

Zumo 660 FTW.

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

jro, if you're still looking for a GPS, I picked up my Garmin 2720 from Amazon refurbed for about $100. It's a marine unit, has the upper end features like 50 routes and the ability to pull your "tracks" (where you've been while the GPS was on) out, Mapsource software (not easy to use but the best way to get custom routes in your GPS).

I bought a cable for $25 and it has a micro mono audio jack. You can use it w/an adaptor straight into earbuds or w/an isolation transformer into a mixer like the autocomm. If you use the Mixit2, it has an isolation xformer on the input.

For about $160 you'll have a waterproof GPS, Ram-mount and power/audio cable.

There are dedicated buttons and the only the downside is the screen is not as bright as the Zumos. If you can live w/out bluetooth or SD cards, it's a great unit for the money.

My latest mantra for MA cage drivers
    -- "The rocks in your brain are the gravel in my path" --

If you zoom in on the map, you'll see ..... pixels.

Just a warning; many "older" and "newer" GPS units do not allow more than a few waypoints. What that means is you won't be able to input the 30 waypoints required to create the route you're discussing. Instead you'll put in a point like Malone, NY and it will route you I93-I89-I87. It'll be quicker, but it'll suck.

Last edited by Cheese; 05-26-09 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    ... 1) Some GPS devices don't handle bike vibration well, so keeping it in my backpack/pocket can ease the vibration on it
    This is very true. I have a Nuvi 350 that I have used on the bike using a RAM mount. On the first long (multi-day) trip I took it on, it started acting flaky, intermittently losing power. Those micro USB connectors are not designed to deal with the kind of vibrations you get on a motorcycle. On the second trip the power button completely stopped working. Fortunately, it was on an extended warranty, so I was able to get it repaired. Now I will only bring it in my pocket or tank bag to use if I get lost. I have been planning to buy the new Zumo 660, but I'm reluctant to pay anything like full MSRP for it, particularly when Garmin had been offering it for about $130 less for AMA members on their own Web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    jro, if you're still looking for a GPS, I picked up my Garmin 2720 from Amazon refurbed for about $100. It's a marine unit, has the upper end features like 50 routes and the ability to pull your "tracks" (where you've been while the GPS was on) out, Mapsource software (not easy to use but the best way to get custom routes in your GPS).

I bought a cable for $25 and it has a micro mono audio jack. You can use it w/an adaptor straight into earbuds or w/an isolation transformer into a mixer like the autocomm. If you use the Mixit2, it has an isolation xformer on the input.

For about $160 you'll have a waterproof GPS, Ram-mount and power/audio cable.

There are dedicated buttons and the only the downside is the screen is not as bright as the Zumos. If you can live w/out bluetooth or SD cards, it's a great unit for the money.
    DAMN!! Now that's a savings, I'ma have to look into that, thanks for sharing

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Girls DO ride bikes :) gixxersixxer's Avatar

I have the Tom Tom Rider 2nd edition and I love it! Although it is really expensive, I paid about 500 for it. I don't know if the other guy has the old one or the new one, but the new is awesome!

2010 tC
    no bike

Post Re: Motorcycle GPS

i really wanna get one of these. it would also help on the tag-o-rama places when i dunno where im going and dont wanna take the main highways to pay tolls

but it seems a lil too pricey of an investment....

Sladic aka Slush
    K7 GSX-R 600 - STOLEN JULY 16th 2012

Just Registered

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    DAMN!! Now that's a savings, I'ma have to look into that, thanks for sharing
    Yep, 2720 is what I used next to my Zumo 550 before I got the 660...the 2720 is an awesome unit especially for the $$.

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Just Registered

Unhappy Re: Motorcycle GPS

Quote Originally Posted by gixxersixxer View Post
    I have the Tom Tom Rider 2nd edition and I love it! Although it is really expensive, I paid about 500 for it. I don't know if the other guy has the old one or the new one, but the new is awesome!
    500$ for a TomTom? On the plus side, only the more observant leghumpers will figure out you like anal

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Post Re: Motorcycle GPS

Quote Originally Posted by ssg View Post
    On the plus side, only the more observant leghumpers will figure out you like anal

Sladic aka Slush
    K7 GSX-R 600 - STOLEN JULY 16th 2012

Girls DO ride bikes :) gixxersixxer's Avatar

WHAT!?! How do you get that from a GPS? Oh because it cost so much? Look it up on the web, it's worth every penny And for the record, I'll pass

2010 tC
    no bike

Just Registered

Quote Originally Posted by gixxersixxer View Post
    And for the record, I'll pass
    Theres girls that like it and girls that lie, at least we know where you stand now

back to topic...

I looked up the Rider2, it's nice they include the headset thingy...but the only thing it's missing is a flux capacitor to get itself back to 2009, where other companies make widescreen waterproof units with audio streaming and real 3d buildings and multi-lane highways on the map: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=15000

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast