Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Pirelli Angel ST Tires

Pirelli Angel ST Tires

The Tuono I just bought had some worn out Michelin PP's on it, and I have been eye-balling Pirelli's new sport touring tire they introduced at the beginning of the year, the new Angle ST, replacing the Diablo Strada. I felt that since I would be using the T for commuting as well as some back road ripping on the weekends, this would be a better tire than the Corsa Rosso, or the new Pilot Pure, as they are super sport tires that I would feel horrible about flattening them out in the middle.
    After watching a great video review on the Angel's thanks to MotoUsa.com, I ordered a set, had em spooned on, and away I went. SUPER slick for the first few miles while you warm them up for the first time, much more so than any other new tire, but once I got 30 miles on em, I felt very confident on them.
    Remarks:
    Quick warm up, very stable, smooth and controllable, and after running up Mt. Lemmon yesterday, and Kitt Peak today, incredibly grippy for a sport touring tire with claimed 7k plus mileage capability. They don't snap into corners, but have a very predictable turn in, feel planted on hard corner exits and at 100 + speeds. Over all I am very impressed. I was scooting up Kitt Peak (Great local mountain road. Like T Rd and Rt 17 combined) at a decent pace today, 55-65, and was very pleased with how the tires felt. I'm running the front and the rear at 34/35 psi with no issues.
    I got em for $260 at a local shop. www.onanymoto.com. Free shipping COUS. I know Sandros grabbed a pair of Pilot Pure's this summer for the same price from them.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MotoFreak; 11-21-10 at 09:14 PM.
    Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Re: Pirelli Angel ST Tires

i snagged a pair of pures from the same place for 260. cant complain.

btw, im very jealous of you bastards out there in the southwest, rippin it up mountain roads....not fair.

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

These came up in a tire discussion today. I'm going to have to decide between these and the ContiMotion for our trip in May. I need something that will get me at least 6,400 miles or so. I have a Motion on the rear right now, and it seems to be holding up really well after 2,000+ miles, with a very slight flat spot developing. I will see how they continue to wear, and hopefully get an update from you on how the Angels are wearing so I can decide in the spring which to run with.

Quote Originally Posted by darkduc7 View Post

btw, im very jealous of you bastards out there in the southwest, rippin it up mountain roads....not fair.
    Mark and I did an admittedly non-spirited ride today, but riding can still be done!

Last edited by NobodySpecific; 11-21-10 at 09:38 PM.
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

The latest generation of sport touring tires is excellent. I have been using the Dunlop Roadsmarts for a while. if you youtube sv 650 roadsmart you should find my test video.

Quote Originally Posted by SV650N View Post
    These came up in a tire discussion today. I'm going to have to decide between these and the ContiMotion for our trip in May. I need something that will get me at least 6,400 miles or so. I have a Motion on the rear right now, and it seems to be holding up really well after 2,000+ miles, with a very slight flat spot developing. I will see how they continue to wear, and hopefully get an update from you on how the Angels are wearing so I can decide in the spring which to run with.

Mark and I did an admittedly non-spirited ride today, but riding can still be done!
    but i dont ride a sport tourer...and i dont have warm gear. and, im admittedly, a vagina.

i plan to solve these problems for next year. im going to at least get some heated grips or something...its mainly the frozen hands that keeps me off the road this time of year.

however, the pit bike will get some use in the next month or so before i leave.

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

You sir, need to stop with the crying...its been non-stop since I moved. Now either sack up, and get your ass out here, or quit bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by SV650N View Post
    Thus far, I like these tires a lot...I will keep you updated on how they wear.
    Go Here

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    The latest generation of sport touring tires is excellent. I have been using the Dunlop Roadsmarts for a while. if you youtube sv 650 roadsmart you should find my test video.
    I agree. I don't think you can go wrong anywhere, its just your personal choices. I love what Pirelli has been putting out for rubber...in fact, i just bought a pair of Supercorsa Pro SP's today for the Mille (EXPENSIVE!!!!).

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-

2500k-ish Report
    While I haven't put a huge amount of miles on these babies, 80% of the miles have been commuting back and forth to work, or just running errands. The center of the tire looks great, no evidence of blocking off at all. I took a little rip this Sat as it was a gorgeous 75 degrees out! Went through some local twisties, and the tires were gorgeous, as I figured they would be. If you are looking for a set of tires that will last you all summer whether you are heading to work everyday, or ripping 17 on the weekends, these tires will be your best friend.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-

6k mile Report-
    If you ride your bike to work everyday, you need to buy a set of these tires...at the very least, give them a try.
    At around the 6k mile mark the rear is just starting to show signs of actually wear; blocking off/flattening out in the middle a wee bit, tread starting to wear down, etc. The front is wearing wonderfully, maintaining its profile with no issues at all.
    Now, as I said in my original post, I was looking for a solid commuting tire that can handle a brisk scoot up the Mtn or the local twsities...I def got what I wanted plus some. I havent really been out on the weekends much, just slabbin it back and forth to work every day, so last night I decided to take a little sunset ride up Kitt Peak, 7500 ft of magical Mtn twisites. The road is rough, corners are blind, and at 6:30 at night...no one is up there. So, in typical fashion, Im hauling ass, and cannot believe how well these tires still perform at 70 mph with my knee skimming along the ground. Surprised myself really, and of course, once you touch down on the left, you gotta make it even by getting some on the right!
    Needless to say, Pirelli has truly out-done themselves with this tire. I will def buy another set, whever they wear out. At the rate they are wearing, Im saying that I will be pretty close to riding on these tires for almost a year before needing to swap em. Thats the best $260 bucks I think I've ever spent.

CORRECTION: Ill get close to a year outta the front, but Ive gota about 2k left in the rear...looked at it today and found that I was just a little too excited about how well they were wearing. So Im forecasting 8k miles on the rear, and 10k on the front...damn I need to ride more!

Last edited by MotoFreak; 06-30-11 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Looked at my rear tire today and was like, "Yea right thats gonna last till Nov!"
    Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-

Good to hear. I just installed a set on my TLS. From the little bit I got to ride them, I agree that they don't tip-in nearly as quickly as other tires I've run, especially for a 180/55, but what they lack in quick tip-in they make up for in predictability.

I'm looking forward to getting more miles on these soon.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Hey MotoFreak,
    In your first post, you said they were slippery for the first 30 miles or so. Was that for the original scrub in or an every day occurrence until they warm up?

I just ordered a rear and was curious!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by noxin View Post
    Hey MotoFreak,
    In your first post, you said they were slippery for the first 30 miles or so. Was that for the original scrub in or an every day occurrence until they warm up?

I just ordered a rear and was curious!

Thanks!
    Just the original scrub in...Ive never had a slip other-wise.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-

seacoast has them for about that much in stock in tax free nh

I just ran these at a track day on my FZ6 and they worked awesome. Half of the day was wet and half of the day was dry. In the dry I had no problem with warmup time and they were very predictable. I ran them at 30f 30r and when I started to wick it up I could feel them moving around underneath me, but I had no issues and this is expected for a street tire. In the wet they again were awesome. When I started to push the rear would slide a little bit, but again that is no fault of the tire. They also wore great. You can't even tell I went on the track with them.

Call me impressed.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

My Angel ST rear is actually starting to wear with only 4k miles on it. I've got a noticeable flat spot, however its relatively minor compared to most other tires I've had that got flat spots (Diablo Strada's, Battlax BT021's). The bike still tips in pretty well.

Otherwise, my front still looks brand new.

Can high pressure in the rear cause it to flatten faster? I keep my rear at 42psi all the time.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    My Angel ST rear is actually starting to wear with only 4k miles on it. I've got a noticeable flat spot, however its relatively minor compared to most other tires I've had that got flat spots (Diablo Strada's, Battlax BT021's). The bike still tips in pretty well.

Otherwise, my front still looks brand new.

Can high pressure in the rear cause it to flatten faster? I keep my rear at 42psi all the time.
    No. Higher pressure should cause it to wear slower. The torque of that 1000 causes it to wear fast...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!