Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question for Triumph owners.

Question for Triumph owners.

Hopefully this topic is ok here, if not and someone sees it fit to be moved please do (didn't want to add clutter to the general section).

So, i'm looking to by a cruiser after fall, i know, i know, boo cruisers. Anyway, i'm a big fan of the Triumph Thunderbird, both the 1600 and the 1700 Storm model. I'm also looking into HD and Victory. I have a HD and am aware of repairs, maint. prices, etc. And assume that Victory is fairly similar in cost of ownership and oil-air cooled issues. The Triumph is def. at the top of my list, and will be test riding one as soon as possible, but i don't know how they are as far as parts availability and service costs. An example being that there is a HD dealer every 25 miles and easy to fix at home. Any triumph owners that may be able to lend any info would be great, especially if you have ridden or own a Thunderbird 2010 or newer. Thanks!
    -bryan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Question for Triumph owners.

Seek the advice of TLRman.. He's got the ThunderBird Storm!

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully he'll chime in. I notice you have a nice collection, any issues once you get past the normal first tune up? trouble getting parts, anything like that? I live about 30min from Performance Cycles and Bill in sales has been super helpful, i just need to test ride one first.

No issues at all. But I have great service guys at Great Bay in North Hampton NH.
    I can text TLRman to PM you on any ?'s you have

I am curious about what you are talking about with HD maintenance/repair costs. I have a 2007 Road King with around 15000 miles and the only costs associated so far has been routine maintenance. No repairs, and I have not at times been too nice to her. Maintenance I do myself, except for the 10k, which I had a certified HD shop do because I am not good with checking the forks and valves. Either way, that only cost me $350. I think the main problems with repairs and maintenance stems from people upgrading motor components. Mine has a Rinehardt exhaust, but I used the HD tuner for it so there are no issues there at all. That and the HD air kit, but I won't touch the motor otherwise.

Now about the Triumph and Victory, both great bikes. Probably much more unique on the road. But with that comes the uniqueness of the dealerships, and getting parts for them. The internet makes getting the stuff fairly easy, but the costs will likely be higher. You said it yourself, you can pretty much spit and hit a HD dealership. There arent many Triumph or Victory dealers around, making it tough to get stuff for them.

Krazy, just pretty much referring to normal maintenance for a given brand. I am on my 2nd HD and know them fairly well at this point. I like that with the air/oil cooled evo motors i've had, it's as simple as check and add oil for me. But i know there are certain brands with higher costs of ownership (ex: Ducati). I think more of what i meant to say was with a HD, i know what the prices of most replacement / upgraded items go for. Also, i have done a lot of motor work and tear downs on my bikes, so i'm lumped into the owners who may cause more trouble than needed, lol.

I do like the triumph in that it isn't something you see everyday, but like you mentioned, dealers aren't everywhere. This would more than likely also stop me from getting curious and seeing how things work.
    -bryan

I can't say enough good things about Second Wind, in Merrimack, NH.

Gotcha Bryan. I myself am thinking to add either a Triumph or another BMW to my stable. I want an adventure/endurance bike that will take off road type tires to ride year round. I am that guy that would actually ride in the snow given the proper equipment and gear (heated grips, heated suit, etc). And with gas prices going the way they are, might not be a horrible idea.
    -Brian (ironic isn't it?) lol!

I cannot speak for the T-bird but I have had a great experience with my 05 Thruxton. You will not have many issues getting parts other than some parts taking a little longer to get, ie clutch cover(supply/demand thing). I do all my own work on it but seeing how things have held up fine through the years with regular maintenance I don't think you can go wrong. Any of the brands you are looking at are probably worthy. Good Luck! I have only dealt with Great Bay, for triumph, due to proximity but I have not heard bad things of any of their dealers in this area.

edit: with the triumph I have found many parts are interchangeable with the Kaw's and other japanese bikes. It might not be triumph but things could be had cheaper and of same quality.

Last edited by tonup; 03-01-12 at 10:09 AM.
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

Bryco, swing by my old shop and take one for a ride. They are fun bikes with great handling and a great value.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

With BikeBandit, I've had no problems getting any parts I've needed for my Sprint.

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Thanks for the help guys. Eric, are you no longer doing sales there?

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. Eric, are you no longer doing sales there?
    I left there last winter to go to college, but filled in during the summer as needed. I left there for good at the beginning of this winter.

For parts, I am a huge fan of http://www.pure-triumph.com/. Bikebandit told me they had a gasket in stock and didn't. They ordered it from Triumph 1 week shipping to them, 1 week shipping to me. After that, I looked for other options. My local dealer is nice, but I work 3rd shift so getting there is a pita for me.

As for issues. None in my 26,000 on my street. The CCT started going, but that's pretty common on any inline and takes all of 30 seconds to fix.

Bumping to see if TLR man can add anything.

Hopefully this topic is ok here, if not and someone sees it fit to be moved please do (didn't want to add clutter to the general section).

So, i'm looking to by a cruiser after fall, i know, i know, boo cruisers. Anyway, i'm a big fan of the Triumph Thunderbird, both the 1600 and the 1700 Storm model. I'm also looking into HD and Victory. I have a HD and am aware of repairs, maint. prices, etc. And assume that Victory is fairly similar in cost of ownership and oil-air cooled issues. The Triumph is def. at the top of my list, and will be test riding one as soon as possible, but i don't know how they are as far as parts availability and service costs. An example being that there is a HD dealer every 25 miles and easy to fix at home. Any triumph owners that may be able to lend any info would be great, especially if you have ridden or own a Thunderbird 2010 or newer. Thanks!
    -bryan
    I can't say anything bad about the T-Bird Storm. The chassis is so much more refined than any cruiser I have ridden. The brakes are top notch, and the TORQUE!!! I have been challenged by several HD's including V-Rods, and off the line, it's all Thunderbird. The folks at Great Bay have been very good with service, and any problems. I own a Thruxton too, but may soon have to sell it. I am very impressed with the T-Bird Storm. I have a friend that has a HD, and a Yamaha Road Star, and he says the T-Bird blows both of them out of the water. Good luck with your choice!

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

Thanks TLR, and everyone else, this helps out with my choice a ton.
    -bryan

Thanks TLR, and everyone else, this helps out with my choice a ton.
    -bryan
    So you're getting the Thunderbird right?

It's looking that way but nothing is definate yet, as i still need to test ride the bikes on my shortening list. I have a wedding to pay for in the fall, so this will be a winter purchase.

Oh so you have almost a year... Come back then and ask how we feel about the TBird lol

I ride a Triumph Bonneville and road coast to coast solo and found Triumph dealerships all over the country. I had to replace the battery, oil and new set of tires and had no problem finding replacement parts. Not only that the Triumph is one reliable machine, after all, the company has been building bikes around 100 years....... they've had time to perfect their bikes.

Thanks for the info miss. I'll have to keep an eye out for ya on the Bonnie in Worcester!

Quote Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
    For parts, I am a huge fan of http://www.pure-triumph.com/. Bikebandit told me they had a gasket in stock and didn't. They ordered it from Triumph 1 week shipping to them, 1 week shipping to me.
    I had a similar issue with Bikebandit a few years back when I first got my Daytona. I never ordered Triumph parts from them again.

What's the deal with Pure-Triumph, do you have to call them to place parts orders? That is sort of how it looks on their website.

Jeff

A good friend of mine is the parts manager at Performance Cycles on Rt.9 in Shrewsbury MA, and I've never had a problem with getting parts. It's a very rare day that it's not in stock. If ordered, usually under a week as they often have to order oddball parts for service orders in the shop. Bill Morrow is a GREAT guy to deal with.

I just bought a leftover 2011 Tiger 800 ABS from Triumph of Swansea (MA) and they have a great bargain on a leftover Triumph Thunderbird Storm right now. Don't take the price you see here as "final", as Steve cut me an amazing deal on the Tiger that still shows on his site at $10,799. I did much better, and I'm sure he'll deal.

http://www.swanseacycles.com/2011_Tr..._138311646.veh

The traffic there is increasing fast, and he's moving a lot of bikes all-of-a-sudden. There are also dealers in other parts of MA, including Armand's in Halifax, North River Cycles in Salem, Second Wind in Merrimack NH, Great Bay Cycles in North Hampton NH, and more.

As for used parts, it's hard to beat Baxter Cycles of Marne IA.

Last edited by SprintPoser; 03-30-12 at 10:29 PM.
    2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Quote Originally Posted by missrider View Post
    I ride a Triumph Bonneville and road coast to coast solo and found Triumph dealerships all over the country. I had to replace the battery, oil and new set of tires and had no problem finding replacement parts. Not only that the Triumph is one reliable machine, after all, the company has been building bikes around 100 years....... they've had time to perfect their bikes.
    Actually, they have only been building bikes for about 20 years. Today's Truimph motorcycle company is not the same and the original.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast