Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rob's Dyno Service

Rob's Dyno Service

Had my R6 custom mapped by Rob last weekend. He is very professional and does a great job.

I do have to say that his pricing structure confuses me. He did 1 base run, tuned my PCIII, and then did another run and that was it. Total 30-45 mins.

Another friend of mine had his R6 rejetted by Rob while it was on the dyno (pulled / disassembled carbs yadda yadaa) and taken through 5 runs while tuning it. Total about 90-115 mins.

Somehow I ended up with less HP with the custom map than I had coming in on a stock PCIII map. My R6 took half the time / half the work but I paid almost twice as much as my buddy.

I'm definitely would recommend Rob's service, as I suspect the new map will considerably smooth out my ride which will make up for the power loss. But I thought it important to post my experience.

Rob did mention if after riding at the track something doesn't feel right, he will adjust things for me. However, I assume I'll be charged the $20 bucks per run for that based on his website.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    spes sibi quisque

LRRS AM #511 (retired)
    DNF Racing

Rob's Dyno Service

Maybe I read through it too quickly. Where is he located?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Rob's Dyno Service

Quote Originally Posted by deeto View Post
    Had my R6 custom mapped by Rob last weekend. He is very professional and does a great job.

I do have to say that his pricing structure confuses me. He did 1 base run, tuned my PCIII, and then did another run and that was it. Total 30-45 mins.

Another friend of mine had his R6 rejetted by Rob while it was on the dyno (pulled / disassembled carbs yadda yadaa) and taken through 5 runs while tuning it. Total about 90-115 mins.

Somehow I ended up with less HP with the custom map than I had coming in on a stock PCIII map. My R6 took half the time / half the work but I paid almost twice as much as my buddy.

I'm definitely would recommend Rob's service, as I suspect the new map will considerably smooth out my ride which will make up for the power loss. But I thought it important to post my experience.

Rob did mention if after riding at the track something doesn't feel right, he will adjust things for me. However, I assume I'll be charged the $20 bucks per run for that based on his website.
    Hmmm.....smoothing in midrange, may result in a dip, but did you loose it on top too?????

Rob's Dyno Service

Rob's Dyno Service

He's located in Gardner MA, but can travel. I think he's at the track on most race weekends.

Yea, I lost some midrange and a little on top too. There's a wide band in the midrange where I lost almost 4 ft/lbs of torque. Ouch.

I had a chance to ride it hard at the last td and I'm not that happy with the performance. The engine is much more twitchy making it difficult to ride smoothly. I had a hard time finding neutral throttle in the corners, the bike kept kicking me in the pants. When Rob was tuning it I asked him to make the power come on "slushy" in the top of the midrange, so I can power out of the corners smoothly. Its not there yet though.

These results are not abnormal - sometimes it takes a couple tweaks here and there to get a bike running right. I'm certainly not worried about it. I don't want anyone to interpret what I'm saying as a digg on Rob - he definitely knows his stuff and I would recommend him to anyone. I'm sure when he retunes it the bike will be better.

I'll let you know how it goes.

spes sibi quisque

LRRS AM #511 (retired)
    DNF Racing

Rob's Dyno Service

Rob's Dyno Service

He's located in Gardner MA, but can travel. I think he's at the track on most race weekends.

Yea, I lost some midrange and a little on top too. There's a wide band in the midrange where I lost almost 4 ft/lbs of torque. Ouch.

I had a chance to ride it hard at the last td and I'm not that happy with the performance. The engine is much more twitchy making it difficult to ride smoothly. I had a hard time finding neutral throttle in the corners, the bike kept kicking me in the pants. When Rob was tuning it I asked him to make the power come on "slushy" in the top of the midrange, so I can power out of the corners smoothly. Its not there yet though.

These results are not abnormal - sometimes it takes a couple tweaks here and there to get a bike running right. I'm certainly not worried about it. I don't want anyone to interpret what I'm saying as a digg on Rob - he definitely knows his stuff and I would recommend him to anyone. I'm sure when he retunes it the bike will be better.

OK, now things clear up a bit. Sometimes a gear (sprocket) change can be beneficial also. Should be able to transition smoother, but still keep it kick'n on top with some over rev.

Rob's Dyno Service

Rob's Dyno Service

The engine is much more twitchy making it difficult to ride smoothly. I had a hard time finding neutral throttle in the corners,

If you get that sorted I might pay him a visit with the ole TL...Right now I'm leaning pretty heavilly towards shooting...err selling the fucking TL and going back to a Honda Fireblade.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Rob's Dyno Service

I plan on seeing him one of these race weekends just to see what the Hawk has. Thanks for the link.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

High maintenance priss

Rob's Dyno Service

I have an appt. up there at the end of this month w/ my TL. Installed full system & breather mods and will likelly benefit from new fuel mapping. I'll let you know how it pans out. Rob recommended a reprogram instead of a PCIII (for my setup). Heard a number of good comments about his work.

Rob's Dyno Service

any more feedback about this tuner?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Rob's Dyno Service

Quote Originally Posted by wylee View Post
    If you get that sorted I might pay him a visit with the ole TL...Right now I'm leaning pretty heavilly towards shooting...err selling the fucking TL and going back to a Honda Fireblade.
    bring it mark. he will fix it up

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Rob's Dyno Service

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    bring it mark. he will fix it up
    I sold the bitch! It actually ran surprisingly good after I put a stock exhaust on it. Major loss of HP, but it ran very smoothly.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Rob's Dyno Service

Did you ask about reasons of why it lost power?

That doesn't make sense to me. The base maps from dynojet are "in the ball park" though some aren't even close at all. The dyno operator is suppose to optimize the air/fuel ratio...If he made it better / corrected it over what it was, how can it possibly lose power?

If after two runs he said here ya go, I'm done, your bike makes 10 less hp than when I started, I'da been like

I've never heard of a bike making less power, nor have I heard of a guy running the bike, making adjustments, running it again and calling it done. I know a guy who's gixxer 750 was on the dyno for 5-6 hours getting tuned.

Rob's Dyno Service

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I plan on seeing him one of these race weekends just to see what the Hawk has. Thanks for the link.
    it's a stock motored hawk with a pipe, jet kit & pods. it'll have around 50hp at the wheel (and a nice dip in the power around 3k due to the 2bros pipe ) dyno it after hord works his magic

Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Rob's Dyno Service

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doc

it's a stock motored hawk with a pipe, jet kit & pods. it'll have around 50hp at the wheel (and a nice dip in the power around 3k due to the 2bros pipe ) dyno it after hord works his magic
    I paid Rob a visit 3 years ago and could not be happier. I knew I was working with minimal HP but I figured what the hell. I spent probably 1-1.5 hours swapping between 3 sets of main jets to find the best TQ and HP combo Stock HAWK 650cc =55 HP and about 47ft/lbs. TB pipe no flywheel. I’m still running that same 650 carb setup on the 700cc HAWK. I smell more HP with a little dyno tuning.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Rob's Dyno Service

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    Did you ask about reasons of why it lost power?

That doesn't make sense to me. The base maps from dynojet are "in the ball park" though some aren't even close at all. The dyno operator is suppose to optimize the air/fuel ratio...If he made it better / corrected it over what it was, how can it possibly lose power?

If after two runs he said here ya go, I'm done, your bike makes 10 less hp than when I started, I'da been like

I've never heard of a bike making less power, nor have I heard of a guy running the bike, making adjustments, running it again and calling it done. I know a guy who's gixxer 750 was on the dyno for 5-6 hours getting tuned.

the horsepower loss was minimal, but it was a loss none-the-less. I was more concerned about the torque loss than hp. Over 4 ft/lbs decrease throughout the meat of the midrange. On an R6 making only 45-50 ft/lbs that is almost a 10% decrease.

spes sibi quisque

LRRS AM #511 (retired)
    DNF Racing

Rob's Dyno Service

well get rid of that POS and buy an SV.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

High maintenance priss

Rob's Dyno Service

As far as a follow-up, I was fairly pleased with the tuning Rob did w/ my TL. He didn't get much more power out of it (~127 -> 129hp and 71->72ft-lbs), but fixed the A/F as it was running VERY lean and backfiring like a sonofabitch. The TL's ECU can be reprogrammed directly (doesn't *need* a PCIII). It didn't spend too much time on the dyno. Probably under 1hr.

I'm heading up there today w/ my VFR. Have the PCIII on this bike. Not looking to squeeze every ounce of power, just looking to optimize A/F as well as see if he can fix the hesitation & subsequent surge at 3-5k RPM slow roll-on. Bike has exhaust and bypassed 02. I'm running the PC map # M111-003 right now.

Rob's Dyno Service

Props to Rob. Did great work for me too. I would recommend him any time.

kev

Re: Rob's Dyno Service

Your bike took software that cost 3 time the cost of the tools that I used to fix your freinds carb bike and I have to pay a lease on and I belive I had mention to you that your bike had other problems going on. If you have any qestion please call me or email and I would be glad to help you with it
    Thanks Rob

Re: Rob's Dyno Service

a cust wanted pipes and a fuel management system installed on his 2009 yamaha crusier, we did a base line run on our dyno, installed just the pipes, gained 4hp andd 9ft lbs of torque....installed the supplied fuel management system with the recommended map from the company, bike lost 2hp and 6lbs of torque happens all the time