Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

SENA 20S

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Re: SENA 20S

doing that when i get home tonite.
    changing back to the boom mic helped. with the button mic i was shouting "hello sena" with no response. withh the boom mic last night i was able to navigate texts (sending and receiving) and placing a couple calls. of course that was from my recliner and not rolling down the road.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Yes. There is no audio out. Only audio in via usb or aux cable if installed.
    There is audio out via 3.5mm, its on the base, not on the detachable unit.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    There is audio out via 3.5mm, its on the base, not on the detachable unit.
    referring to the radio on the bike

used it today solely for music via the aux cord with my ipod. wish it was louder and after a few hours the speaker on the right side really started to hurt my ear. i tried repositioning it but no luck. for the last hour i tried to use my phone for music. i spoke then spoke louder and louder and then shouted "hello sena" but got no response. i cant here the prompts when i push the buttons either so i had no idea what was going on. i gave up and went back to my ipod. i stopped for gas and paused my ipod and then i magically could hear my phone music. i hate that i cant hear anything that im trying to do with it unless im stopped with the engine off.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

If I remember right, everything has it's own volume level and it remembers. Say you listen to FM, and adjust to 100% volume. Switch to ipod, adjust it to 50% volume. Turn the FM back on, and it'll be back at 100%. And I think the same is true for the voice prompts. You have to pause/shut off everything, and now adjust the volume to 100%. This sets the 'prompt' volume.

nedirtriders.com

got a 2nd one hooked up on my wifes helmet. i was hoping that there would be voice activation for the intercom but you have to push the button and just have an open mic. in reality this may not matter, but the hypothetical side of me sees an issue that i would have to let go of the bar to activate the mic to say something to her if she is on her own bike.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    got a 2nd one hooked up on my wifes helmet. i was hoping that there would be voice activation for the intercom but you have to push the button and just have an open mic. in reality this may not matter, but the hypothetical side of me sees an issue that i would have to let go of the bar to activate the mic to say something to her if she is on her own bike.
    If it's like the smh10 voice intercom activation is an option that can be turned on. But I think it's easier to just use the button when you want to talk.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

If you are expecting to need instant communication I'd say keep the channel open.

I can switch with my shoulder if I need to, but it takes like a second or so for the channel to actually get established between the headsets. I've never actually timed it, but there is a delay.

Old thread revival in progress!

Where my son is starting to ride he wants to get a Bluetooth comm system for his helmet to connect to his phone. It wouldn't be for phone calls, he can't swing a good Garmin Zumo GPS right now and wants to use his phone for navigation. He's looking at the Sena SMH5 because it's in his budget range. His new helmet is an HLC IS-17. Is this a worthwhile unit for what he wants?

Second question is for me. I'm considering the Sena 10U for Arai full coverage helmets. I'm not a big fan of distractions while riding but thought it might be nice to connect to my Zumo 665, perhaps listen to radio but occasionally be able to "coach" my son when we ride together (until I can afford to get him together with Ken Condon for a "Riding In The Zone" session.) Would the Sena SMH5 and Sena 10U connect with each other?

Thanks!

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

I used my SMH 5 for phone nav before getting my s20. Yeah, it'll work fine for that. I had the "upgraded" speakers which were just loud enough at highway speeds.

I can't speak to connectivity with the 10U, but I've had no problem connecting the Sena units between the different series. Some connect to only 1 other unit. Some connect to more, but if you are just looking for a pair you should be fine.

No problem for me connecting the SMH5 to the s20.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thanks! I did hit Sena's website and went over the "FAQ" section. It appears the SMH5 can pair with only one other, the 10U can do up to 4. We'll be OK for just the two of us but it seems he's a nearby friend with a GSXR750 (of unknown vintage) who will be riding with us now & then, so I'll try to pony-up the additional for him to get the next level up for multiple pairings.

Lifer

+1 to the above. The SMH5 is a great little unit.

I thought I'd update. Today this showed up:

I had sold off some speakers I'd given to my son but he couldn't use them, and turned them into the Sena 20S dual kit for the both of us. Seems to work pretty good, and has better range than I would have thought. I wish the speakers were more like some good headphones, but I'll survive. I got talking with my son with it today after he came over and we each installed a unit on our helmets. I still have to figure out how to connect to my Garmin Zumo 665. I just turned on the GXM40 XM radio receiver the Zumo came with yesterday, to use up the last 3-5 months of a SiriusXM subscription I have.

I did try using my Tidal streaming account from my phone and that works pretty good. Both my son and I report excellent sound quality for inter-person communication. He says he could just barely, sometimes, hear the motor on my bike, it's a little loud but typical of the Triumph triples. I heard nothing from his Bonneville's motor.

Never had music or communications while riding before so this is pretty cool. All I've ever had (and gave it up about 7 years ago) was a Valentine V1 radar detector and I got sick of that.

So far, so good!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234