Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SENA 20S

Re: SENA 20S

A buddy and I both bought a 20S after ignoring other riding buddies with SMH10s. Unfortunately, I picked the one that constantly dropped the intercom which was extremely frustrating and distracting. A call to Sena tech support and they recommended I sent mine back (after a reset, updating the updated firmware, etc) then wait 3-4 weeks for a new unit. I ended up returning it to Amazon instead. As it turns out, units with serial numbers under 140xxx had something wrong that couldn't be fixed and dropping the intercom was only one symptom. My buddy's Sn was in the 150xxx range and had zero issues.

I ended up going to Cyclegear and buying a unit with a serial number in the 150xxx range and all is well. The unit works as it should.

Moral of my story: buy one with the most recent Sn you can find.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by NPDCPA View Post
    A buddy and I both bought a 20S after ignoring other riding buddies with SMH10s. Unfortunately, I picked the one that constantly dropped the intercom which was extremely frustrating and distracting. A call to Sena tech support and they recommended I sent mine back (after a reset, updating the updated firmware, etc) then wait 3-4 weeks for a new unit. I ended up returning it to Amazon instead. As it turns out, units with serial numbers under 140xxx had something wrong that couldn't be fixed and dropping the intercom was only one symptom. My buddy's Sn was in the 150xxx range and had zero issues.

I ended up going to Cyclegear and buying a unit with a serial number in the 150xxx range and all is well. The unit works as it should.

Moral of my story: buy one with the most recent Sn you can find.
    Will have to check my SN. Weeks to Sena doesn't sound too exciting. May live with it for this season and send it back in the winter.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Looking forward to any more on this as well. OP, thanks for the nice writeup.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm interested in what you come up with for FRS/GMRS integration. I also have a FRS radio. Being able to comm with the chatterbox guys without dealing with a chatterbox would be awesome.

I bought 5 sets of the dual packs over the winter for me and a few of my friends. The relative verdict is that it's a great product. Very intuitive to use once you figure out the settings along with the app that you can download on your phone.

First note though for all the Sena 20S is they say you should update the firmware right out of the box to their latest version. I mate this with their GoPro BT pack for a wireless mic setup during my vlogs. works very well and the speaker quality AINT TO SHABBY.

Anyone here interested in the new 10C with the camera?

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -Dutch- View Post
    Anyone here interested in the new 10C with the camera?
    I was looking at them, but they are pretty pricey.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

That they are. I was checking out a couple of video reviews though and they might be a good middle ground if you want com's and a camera without your helmet looking like it's asexually reproducing. Not GoPro quality but if you're more interested in the dashcam aspect, looks pretty good.

I do like the smartphone features of the 20s though. Makes it easy to set it up just how you want it.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss

There will be a SENA 20s showing up at home today, lets hope I like it. You can find them on Amazon for $218 now.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    There will be a SENA 20s showing up at home today, lets hope I like it. You can find them on Amazon for $218 now.
    You'll love it. Make sure the serial number is higher than 150xxx. No issues with mine and syncs with the SMH10 my buddies have.

Thanks for the heads up!

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss

Just came in, and sure as shit, the ser.# starts with 150. Think I'm good to go.

Last edited by PinHead; 08-22-15 at 11:14 AM.
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss

anyone know anything about the 10C?

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I’ve also purchased a set of Bluetooth FRS/GMRS radios to try with this (and use for com with people who are running the chatterboxes), but haven’t had a chance to try even connecting them yet. If I’m ever allowed to ride again maybe I’ll experiment with that.
    Just an update to this specific part... Tried the Bluetooth radio on a small ride yesterday. Worked fine. I was able to communicate with the people running the Chatterboxes. Just tossed the handheld radio in the trunk, with it paired to the Sena. Used VOX and at least no one complained that there was a problem.

The bluetooth radio pairs to the Sena as a "device" (Sena just says "Device Paired"). I normally listen to music from my phone as I ride, but with the radio and phone paired I couldn't get music to play over the 20s. Could be user error. Will have to play with that.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Similar to OP I switched to Sena from G4, loved the G4 but on the ride to Nova Scotia it got waterlogged and after that always had loud static. When I got back tried calling Scala for warranty... apparently my G4 was 5 ears old (confirmed with purchase receipt, time flies!)

So far limited experience with 20S but I have had zero issues and riding with my GF who likes to comment on every single thing we pass I had no intercom issues or volume issues. Only disappointment was intercom is line of sight, even trees make it disconnect, I didn't know that

Got a Dual set on eBay for $300 ( listed at 350 and up but they took my "best offer" )

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
    Similar to OP I switched to Sena from G4, loved the G4 but on the ride to Nova Scotia it got waterlogged and after that always had loud static. When I got back tried calling Scala for warranty... apparently my G4 was 5 ears old (confirmed with purchase receipt, time flies!)

So far limited experience with 20S but I have had zero issues and riding with my GF who likes to comment on every single thing we pass I had no intercom issues or volume issues. Only disappointment was intercom is line of sight, even trees make it disconnect, I didn't know that

Got a Dual set on eBay for $300 ( listed at 350 and up but they took my "best offer" )

Where did you find a dual pack S20 for $350 list? The cheapest list I see is $550

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Just an update to this specific part... Tried the Bluetooth radio on a small ride yesterday. Worked fine. I was able to communicate with the people running the Chatterboxes. Just tossed the handheld radio in the trunk, with it paired to the Sena. Used VOX and at least no one complained that there was a problem.

The bluetooth radio pairs to the Sena as a "device" (Sena just says "Device Paired"). I normally listen to music from my phone as I ride, but with the radio and phone paired I couldn't get music to play over the 20s. Could be user error. Will have to play with that.
    Which BT radio are you using?

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    Which BT radio are you using?
    I bought these. Amazon.com: Motorola MU35R 35-Mile Range 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two Way Bluetooth Radio (Grey): Cell Phones & Accessories

They were the only ones I could find when looking. I don't see any reason to have 2 of them. If you only need one I'll sell you the other for $40.

I bought these. Amazon.com: Motorola MU35R 35-Mile Range 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two Way Bluetooth Radio (Grey): Cell Phones & Accessories

They were the only ones I could find when looking. I don't see any reason to have 2 of them. If you only need one I'll sell you the other for $40.
    So what happens if the group have both Sena and radio based headsets. Can you speak with everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    So what happens if the group have both Sena and radio based headsets. Can you speak with everyone?

Yesterday everyone but me was on Chatterbox (radio based). I just put the handheld on the same channel and used the Sena as a "go between" for the radio based communication.

Wifey wasn't with me, so I wasn't the Sena "built in" com at all. I "expect" that I can switch between the radio and the "built in" com, but didn't try. The manual describes a bunch of ways to do multi person communication and groups and all. I haven't tried any of that, and I think that is only intended to work with the "built in" com. I don't think others on the Sena side would be able to hear through to the radio side.

So when connected to the Bluetooth radio, is it basically always on as far as battery drain goes?

Hmmm. Good question. I don't actually know. I *think* I also had ambient mode on yesterday (which I normally don't, but I'd forgotten how it worked), which made it appear as if the channel was always on. I'll have to experiment with it a bit more.

That said, about 90 percent of the time I run with it connected to my phone and music playing. Battery life has been pretty good. I just bring it in every few days and let it charge over night.

Hmmm. Good question. I don't actually know. I *think* I also had ambient mode on yesterday (which I normally don't, but I'd forgotten how it worked), which made it appear as if the channel was always on. I'll have to experiment with it a bit more.

That said, about 90 percent of the time I run with it connected to my phone and music playing. Battery life has been pretty good. I just bring it in every few days and let it charge over night.
    Basically I want know that when connected to the Bluetooth radio, which battery life could I expect; stand by or talk time.

I'm more interested in the 10r but it should be applicable

I'll try to remember to check the battery tonight when I get home. I know it was fully charged when I left yesterday, can figure out roughly how much time it was in various connection states, and will be able to get a rough idea of what charge remains.

I'll try to remember to check the battery tonight when I get home. I know it was fully charged when I left yesterday, can figure out roughly how much time it was in various connection states, and will be able to get a rough idea of what charge remains.
    Thanks. I think you have a RamMount X-Grip. Is this how you have the radio mounted? How well attached is it?

This whole BT radio got me interested in anything but Chatterbox. All people I know in MA use only BT based comms. But if I can link up to Chatterbox via BT radio, I'm down for it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast