Explanation of the Different School Options at NHMS for the remainder of the season

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

Explanation of the Different School Options at NHMS for the remainder of the season

We get a lot of questions as to the differences between our three course offerings on the Fridays at NHMS, so I thought that I would take a few mintes and outline them here. We are going to be updating the site soon with this information as well, but we wanted to get the information out here first. All Penguin Racing School events at NHMS for the remainder of the season feature both a Basic & Advanced course, plus the Penguin Track Experience.

Class Selection - the short version
    If you would like to become certified for a race license, you should attend the Basic Course. If you would like to experience the racetrack in an environment that has passing restrictions for added rider comfort, you should try the Track Experience with 40x LRRS champion Scott Greenwood. If you are looking to make yourself a better rider and want to attend one of the most acclaimed training classes in the country, you should attend the Advanced Course with LRRS champion and AMA race winner Eric Wood.

Track Experience (space limited to 25 riders)

Eligible Riders: All riders who have a good understanding of how to ride a motorcycle. You do not need to be an expert, but this is not an "introduction to motorcycle riding". Operation of all the basic controls of the motorcycle (turning, braking, and wide open acceleration) should be able to be performed with confidence and under full control.

The participants in the Penguin Track Experience often come expecting a regular track day, but we have organized something more. We took our basic and advanced classes and blended them into a special curriculum that focused on giving the students the tools that they needed to both improve thier riding and enjoy the racetrack. We also added passing restrictions in critical places on the track, giving riders chance to have a little less to worry about while they are riding. The result has been some highly successful days, and student feedback has been outstanding. Instruction is led by top national (and LRRS#1) rider Scott Greenwood. Scotty is a multi time #1 plate holder in the LRRS series and he is always excited to bring his experience to the classroom. This program will run at all regular Penguin School events for this season.

Testimonial: " I participated in the Track Experience last month and I have to say that Scott Greenwood was great. I've done track days with a number of organizations and I can honestly say that I learned more in my day with you than I ever have before. Thanks again, I'm looking forward to coming back again soon!"

Basic Course (Race License Certification)

Eligible Riders: All riders who have a good understanding of how to ride a motorcycle. You do not need to be an expert, but this is not an "introduction to motorcycle riding". Operation of all the basic controls of the motorcycle (turning, braking, and wide open acceleration) should be able to be performed under full control. Previous track experience is helpful, but not mandatory.

The basic course includes our school guidebook "Basic Road Racing" by Jerry Wood, classroom instruction (discussing bike preparation, riding techniques, flags, rules and track survival) and most important plenty of riding time! Following the classroom you will be introduced to the racetrack while riding in small groups, each led by an expert instructor. The balance of the day will be open practice sessions where you can ride at your own pace and practice what you have learned. Short, riding specific classes will be run between your afternoon sessions. There will be instructors available at all times to help with any questions you may have. Riders successfully completing this course will be issued a certificate that will enable you to get a racing license. You can then purchase your license at the track so you can race that same weekend. This class makes riders eligible to run practice days with racers at most tracks in the country.

Testimonial: "Last week I participated in the school. I just wanted to let you know that it was a great learning experience and I feel a lot more confident going around the track. You are real pro's with a great attitude, always willing to help...I will be back for the advanced school" - R.C.

Advanced Course

Eligible Riders: Riders in this course should either have completed the Basic Course, have a racing license, or qualify as an experienced track day rider with another organization (3+ days in the past 12 months, or 6 + days in the past 3 years).

We will lower your lap times!! Our advanced course is available for riders who have completed our basic course, right up to top experts looking for that edge. All of our advanced instructors are expert class champions who can help you with bike setup, starts, braking, cornering, race lines, and more! If you have questions, we will have answers. The advanced course includes classroom, detailed track walk, guided riding time, open practice, and individual tutoring. At many events we are able to do individual student critique not only via trackside observation, but also through photographic analysis. We always have instructors available in the afternoon who can ride 1 on 1 with students looking for some extra help.

Testimonial: "I attended the Penguin Advanced School last week (I'm an Amateur on a GSXR600). On the race weekend after the class I went a 1:23....5 seconds faster than my previous weekend! I just wanted you to know that your teaching was VERY effective for me. Thanks again!" - D.L.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Re: Explanation of the Different School Options at NHMS for the remainder of the seas

oh dont worry this is on my list after i get a couple track days under my belt

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Explanation of the Different School Options at NHMS for the remainder of the seas

Great....looking forward to seeing you there. The Track Experience is a great place to start as well....no racers in that group at all.

Another proponent for the advanced school....

I took it at the classic weekend last year and am still reading the notes I have. Great teaching... Tons of helpful info...one of the best ways to lower your laptimes..

I'll be back soon!

Signed up for the Track Experience this month on my Thruxton, can't frickin' wait!
    Basic course next year for sure.

im gunna be with you guys on July 20 through the recommendation of mike arbo, so damn excited

Quote Originally Posted by tsanterre View Post
    Another proponent for the advanced school....

I took it at the classic weekend last year and am still reading the notes I have. Great teaching... Tons of helpful info...one of the best ways to lower your laptimes..

I'll be back soon!
    Thanks - we really try to make the course exactly as you described, more information than you can possibly apply in one day and the basis for a plan to get faster every time you come to the track.