Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

NHMS 2012 Suggestions?

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

NHMS 2012 Suggestions?

It's already time to start looking ahead to next season at LRRS. Schedules will be put together over the next couple months, as will requests for changes / updates to the track and facility itself. There is not a huge budget to play with these things, but serious comments with reasonble costs will always be taken into consideration.

For example, I've been asking for more airfence to cover the exit of turn 2 further down the wall. The track responded by ordering almost 200 feet in April/May. Unfortunately, the air fence company has missed the deadline by a wide margin (it was promised for the classic) but it will be here eventually. There was a good reason for this upgrade (ask Brian Kent) and the track responded.

Other things included the revival of the motard race, which I had been campaigning for over the past couple years. This is both entertaining for spectators and riders. I think that the inclusion of the motard bikes in the legend car oval (this was Shane's doing) is another great idea. Now there are guys talking about a pit bike class over there - which may or may not happen - but it's good to get the wheels turning either way.

If I can get ideas from everyone regarding stuff we can do to make LRRS and NHMS better - I'm planning on meeting with the powers that be over the next little while. Please don't just flame everything you don't like....let's come up with some solutions. The only things I ask here are that (1) You provide a possible solution for everything you'd lke changed, (2) You try to think of the group as a whole and (3) You recognize that there is not an unlimited budget.

Suggestion 1
    I'm going to start this myself with something simple. I'd like to fix the first big transition bump in turn 10 with an an epoxy that is more durable than asphalt. We can coat it with stuff that will give the same traction as the pavement and have something that will hopefully last more than a weekend. This way, I can keep the fillings in my head when I roll over it every lap.

The floor is yours.....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: NHMS 2012 Suggestions?

I'm all for fixing the bump on T10. No doubt T10 is the one corner that no matter what I do I can't quite feel comfortable making through.

Not sure if you wanted to keep a running list of Suggestions by copying / pasting but I'll just follow the format.

Suggestion 2 - You mentioned it at the riders meeting - but hopefully the PA System can be fixed for good.

Suggestion 3 - Since we all own our own transponders now - what would be involved with being able to record lap times for Friday practice? I'm assuming $$ wise it wouldn't be a big issue? I'm not sure what the down-side would be - or of any reasons not to do it? I know you can get your times on mylaps.com - not sure if all the data is pulled from the same place - so dont know if uploading it to mylaps vs nhms would matter. Seems like we are all set up for it - but would just be a matter of flipping a switch or something. I could be way off.

Suggestions 4 - FIgure out a way to reduce the time spent in the registration line. I understand $$ and maybe man-power capacity are limited, but currently - I wait in line for about an hour - to just turn in my waiver and leave. I already register online, pay online, have a transponder number, the only thing missing is dropping off the waiver form and getting a sheet to go to tech with. Maybe we would be able to sign the waiver electronically - or at least just leave it in a drop box @ registration and print out our own sheets to bring to tech? Maybe go back to having 2 lines (separate line for those who pre-registered)? Seems like just some minor changes might be able to save quite a bit of time. I always like to register on Friday night - but I usually have to skip watching the rookie race to try and grab a good spot in line.

Feel free to move or delete this post if you feel it doesn't belong in this thread...

~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

yeah at the Classic 10 was nice. this past weekend I nearly fell off the bike once when I hit it so hard.

definitely more motard dirt race whenever possible. preferably on weekends when Shane can be there.

Tar snakes in 9. Remove the sealant material altogether and perhaps get some of that epoxy in place of it.

Do not refresh the white line in T1a so early in the season. At the very least wait until the warm weather comes.

No other suggestions that I can think of. I think LRRS is moving in the right direction with the changes that have been made both to the track as well as the series itself.

I think the gate fees could come down. It's tough to ask people to come and hang out to the tune of $25 a head. Cheaper admission would certainly equate to more attendance.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I think the gate fees could come down. It's tough to ask people to come and hang out to the tune of $25 a head. Cheaper admission would certainly equate to more attendance.
    along these lines, how about a single day entrance fee for saturday. I think it sucks for people who know they are only gonna be there for Saturday but still have to pay for both days. I know its a way for the track to make some money but it might be discouraging to spectators.

I know I'm not racing at the moment, but I've heard plenty of talk about one of my suggestions from when I was: Saturday Race 4 should be split. The AM wave gets the green flag about the same time the EX Super Singles are coming through T9 (sometimes the top guys are in T10). As an AM, I don't think I ever got a full 8 laps in that race, and I've heard several experts complain that they start getting into lapped traffic as early as their second lap. Under the old schedule, I understood that there wasn't really enough time in the day to add another race, but it seems to me with the new schedule (very limited novice class) there would be enough time to move things around and add another race or change a combination.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    This would be nice. Makes it awfully difficult for a family to come down for a day and watch the races. $50 for my wife and I to get in (my daughter is free, thank god) to watch for a couple hours is a bit steep for a couple hours of hanging out with friends.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Start a Get Dollar Bill Back To Loudon Fund so I can fly home every weekend. I miss Loudon.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Eric can we Get a scooter/pit bike race together possibly....raise some money for the Air fence fund or the Karen HornbeckerFund……. would be a lot of fun and a good way to raise some funds........

Everything seems to be going in a positive direction this year, my only thought is the schedule, which I know is a tough one, but the mid October race weekend could be moved back to the first weekend in October? Besides clashing with Daytona, the weather could be ugly.

repave the whole track instead of a section here or there...

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

I'd be back earlier than scheduled if we had a real sumo track. I'd even offer up some equipment to help form the off-track portion. I understand if it doesn't fit the scope of LRRS.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

First off I would like to thank Eric and the powers that be. I have seen a lot of positive changes made here over the last year and I would like to make sure that everyone involved knows that it is appreciated.

My suggestions:
    The T9 tar snakes nearly bit me this weekend. The fault was my own as I was passing and on an odd line but still, it could have been avoided with epoxy or some other method for sealing the track?

As for the LRRS series I realize that we are up against a schedule already but if it is possible I would love to see a team relay/endurance race? I dont know if there is a technical term for it but I have seen AFAM do it. Multiple riders take turns out in the same race, swapping an armband in hot pits so that only 1 rider from the team is out at a time? I realize that this probably isnt possible for a regular event but perhaps as a once a year, charity, or special occasion thing? As a twist make it 3 members: 1 EX, 1AM, 1NV, almost like a "sponsor a racer"/mentoring kind of thing? If nothing else it would help to bring the different social circles together and I am sure that the less experienced riders would benefit from a chat with some of the fast guys. This may turn out to be a logistical nightmare but if possible I would volunteer my time to help with it, I have several more ideas along this same line.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Eric can we Get a scooter/pit bike race together possibly....raise some money for the Air fence fund or the Karen HornbeckerFund……. would be a lot of fun and a good way to raise some funds........
    Aaaaand... I'm now subscribed to the thread.

Please have that damn PA system fixed.

Lifer

I haven't been racing for two reasons. Increased costs and small grids making less competition for the classes that I run.

I was a big fan of running the team endurance and solo challenge race when those were around.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Historically those end in ambulance rides.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

As for some of the initial stuff....

PA system. Everyone at the track right up to Bruton Smith wants it fixed, so I think that one is under control

Turn 10. My request for repair has already been submitted (from a safety director standpoint)

Pit bike race / mayhem. In the works for September

Endurance Race. Was suggested last weekend as well. Perhaps some mixed teams would work. The only issue with this is entries. We did this a few times and the first one was OK, followed by diminishing attendance each time after that. I like the idea of a once a year thing or a benefit thing....let's keep ideas rolling there. It's not completely out for September, but we would have to have some serious interest (like 15 teams ready to enter) to make a case for this.

Schedule. I'm 100% with you on this one. I am going to make a big push to get off the conflict with Daytona and get us earlier in October....even the last week in September. I've actually been talking with NJMP to see that we avoid conflicts with them as well. No guarantees, but you can be sure that NHMS will have facts in hand and the opinions of the riders known on this one.

Gate Fees and Registration - I'd forward those to Tom and Wanda. The gate fee thing is a tough one, and I agree that it's tough for Satureday spectators to pay $25 to come in the pits.....not a real easy solution there. NJMP is a lot more money than we are. I'll see what they do for one day when I go there in August.
    The idea that I would love to see for registration is what the AMA does....for everyone who pre registers and has no changes, forms are sitting right in tech. You sign them there when you get your bike inspected. How's that for simple! Then, the line would be reduced by 75% and if you had to go in there it would be no big deal. We'll see how this goes.

Supermoto track - The Legends oval is a start. If we can make it work without too much work for the track, there are lots of options....including using some stuff out back by turn 6. All it takes is enough people asking to do it. Let's look at where we can expand the motard thing on Saturday....keep rolling ideas here

Entire Repave - Don't start getting excited, but it has been discussed...along with other possible changes to the course overall. That's a big $$ one, so we'll see where that goes. There is not going to be a new course, but we have looked at ways to make changes down the road to make things both more fun and safer.

Tar snakes - I did not have any issue with them after they were scraped. I'll take a look in August at them.

White line in 1 - I've never had an issue. If you're talking about turn 1a, that one has been addressed by using a new product that has grip.

Race 4 - Send that suggestion to NHMS and Steve Aspland, we'll look at it.

Last edited by Woodcraft; 07-26-11 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post

As for the LRRS series I realize that we are up against a schedule already but if it is possible I would love to see a team relay/endurance race? I dont know if there is a technical term for it but I have seen AFAM do it. Multiple riders take turns out in the same race, swapping an armband in hot pits so that only 1 rider from the team is out at a time? I realize that this probably isnt possible for a regular event but perhaps as a once a year, charity, or special occasion thing? As a twist make it 3 members: 1 EX, 1AM, 1NV, almost like a "sponsor a racer"/mentoring kind of thing? If nothing else it would help to bring the different social circles together and I am sure that the less experienced riders would benefit from a chat with some of the fast guys. This may turn out to be a logistical nightmare but if possible I would volunteer my time to help with it, I have several more ideas along this same line.
    I had this idea a couple weeks ago with the 3 different level riders. I think it would be fun. only problem is that makes it really hard to do pit stops because the faster guys will obviously burn more gas than a novice. and I don't think you want a few novices out there with a few experts. It could be mandatory "sessions" where each rider is grouped by their rank but then that kind of takes away from the fun of having to do pit stops when you choose them. I think everyone would have to have a sit down and iron out the details on how it would work. Then we'd have to find enough teams. I know I'd be down for it.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

--as for a Supermoto track, what if instead of using the whole track with a dirt section up near T6/7 have the bikes a hairpin left out of T10 back up T3.
    there are already bleachers in T3 and it could be fun to watch the guys backing it in to such a tight turn. it could possibly work in reverse too so the start line could be by NASCAR T3.

--the bump in T1 where the new pavement starts. it seems if you take really low line through there, there is a pretty good bump.

--i second the endurance race, ive always wanted to do one and i think the last one was the first year i started racing so ive never been able to do one

--how about just a whole new track?

Last edited by SVRACER01; 07-26-11 at 02:12 PM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I had this idea a couple weeks ago with the 3 different level riders. I think it would be fun. only problem is that makes it really hard to do pit stops because the faster guys will obviously burn more gas than a novice. and I don't think you want a few novices out there with a few experts. It could be mandatory "sessions" where each rider is grouped by their rank but then that kind of takes away from the fun of having to do pit stops when you choose them. I think everyone would have to have a sit down and iron out the details on how it would work. Then we'd have to find enough teams. I know I'd be down for it.
    I don't understand how the amount of gas used matters, or when riders decide to take their pits stops? Endurance races are run everywhere with AM and Ex on the track at the same time. Historically novice is considered AM. I did the race as a novice with one other novice and an expert and I think we placed 2nd or 3rd overall.

Okay, here are some ideas that I think would make the LRRS Experience better for racers and pit crew at NHMS:

1. Move Sunday's GT Races back to Saturday. (Yea, I know the Legend's cars currently use the track Saturday night, so move them to Friday night or Sunday night). GT races are an opportunity to use the track against similar riders on similar bikes for 20-minutes to hone your skills and get a rythmn going for the entire weekend. Having the GT races on Sunday is too late to help anyone with their races on Saturday.

2a. Re-evaluate the LRRS Morning Practice Sessions. For LRRS Event#4 (on Saturday July 23, 2011) there was a wet track for the early practice sessions, so the first practice sessions were cut a bit shorter & allowed longer sessions for the second round of practice. Having an opportunity for 8 to 12 laps of practice during a session is much more productive than only getting 4 or 6 laps of practice.

2b. Extend the LRRS Morning Practice Sessions by at least an additional 35 minutes each day (until 11:35 AM). This would extend the 2nd practice session of all 7 Groups by an extra 5 minutes (from 12 to 17 minutes). Rider's Meeting can move from 11:15 to 11:45 AM and Racing can begin at 12:30 PM.

3. Any Racer that Pre-Enters at least "2" races, should get free Gate Fee for the weekend. Any Racer that Pre-Enters at least "4" races, should get a free Gate Fee for a Guest.

4. Adjust the April - October LRRS Racing Season for a better chance or reasonable weather. April should be one of the last 2 weekends of the month. October should be either the first weekend of the month or the last weekend in September.

5. Avoid conflicting dates for adjoining CCS Regional Races. Atlantic Region uses NJMP, Summit Point and the Loudon Classic LRRS Event for their Championship. Many New England, New York & New Jersey LRRS Racers have to decide which conflicting event to attend. Avoid conflicting dates with Daytona "Race of Champions" during October each year. CCS (and LRRS) racers earn points throughout the year to determine their grid positions for the Race of Champions & aren't able to attend this "National Event" when LRRS schedules their final Championship Race weekend during the same date.

6. Take into consideration what classes Experts/Amateurs are able to race, and avoid back-to-back or back-to-back-to-back races on the Daily Schedule. For 2011, on Saturday Races 2, 3 & 4 are back-to-back-to-back races for someone that is 50 years old and has a Lightweight bike. Perhaps Race 3 Formula 50 Lites could be moved to Race 8 with Ultra LightWeight Superbike as it was done during the Loudon Classic event schedule.

7. Streamline the "Pre-Entry" Registration/Confirmation Tech Inspection, Waiver Form Process on Friday nights. Instead of waiting until 6:00 PM to open up Registration, have 1 or 2 people available starting at 3:00 PM on Friday afternoons. Most everyone wants to get through Registration on Friday night & have Tech Inspection completed, to be ready for the Morning Practice Sessions. The wait is much longer now to get through Registration when we Pre-Enter, than it was 2 years ago before On-line Registration was available. The On-line Registration process should be quicker, let's eliminate the bottlenecks. Perhaps there is a way for each of us to print out the Tech Inspection paperwork ahead of time, once we supply our Credit Card numbers during the pre-entry process?

8. Improve the condition of the racing surface for the Road Race Course. The transition bumps (in Turns 3 & 10) were "patched" for the Loudon Classic event in June and already torn up within 2 weeks after the event. The "snakes" in Turn 9 were addressed initially during the first LRRS events in 2011, but the hot track temperatures made the leftover residue slippery.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    along these lines, how about a single day entrance fee for saturday. I think it sucks for people who know they are only gonna be there for Saturday but still have to pay for both days. I know its a way for the track to make some money but it might be discouraging to spectators.
    This!
    I did it just this weekend. Wondered why there isn't a day pass for Sat..

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast