Penguin first to ride new track in NH

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

Penguin first to ride new track in NH

There is a new track that has been built in NH, and Penguin was there to be the first one to put some laps on it upon completion. Phase 1 of this course is just under a mile long, and has a fun layout that is good both for track days and teaching. There are a couple optional twisty sections designed for carts (we did not ride them) that can make for some fun skill/drill sessions, and this place should be great for Supermoto and Mini racing. Phase 2 will add about 50% to the length of the track and fixes the only major safety concern with running clockwise (which is a wall on the outside of one corner). This phase 2 may start as early as a few months from now, or perhaps next season. There is a possibility of a real supermoto course here, as well as a number of other things.

Penguin will likely have a test event here in September...more information to come.

Any ideas as to where this is?

https://youtu.be/DWTT9_ZsFeU

https://youtu.be/WEjTSE25XRQ

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Penguin first to ride new track in NH

Canaan.

Just heard this past week they had laid some pavement, and didn't think anyone had been in touch with them about motos. So what other details do you have?

Edit: just read the rest of the post. Looking forward to more info in Sept I guess...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MHenry600; 06-28-15 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    No idea?

Sounds like Valley Motorsports Park in Tamworth.

'08 Ducati 1098

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatijocki View Post
    Sounds like Valley Motorsports Park in Tamworth.
    Nope.

The wall Eric mentioned in his post, which you can see in the video, is part of the wall from the existing paved oval on the property. Canaan speedway was sold at the end of 2013 and had a paved and dirt oval at the time.

Hmmm if I could find a track I could ride in NH one day and take the wife to KPT the next day it would be a win win.

A real track that close to me? Uh oh, I may have to get myself a SuMo again. Shit. Anyone need a kidney? I have an extra.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Eric, me and my motard are available for helping you test the track in September.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

That looks a lot more motorcycle friendly than some of the other new tracks. Excited!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

What a great time to be a track rider in New England.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

xxaarraa

That's awesome news Eric. I'll be on the lookout for more news as this develops.

Canaan is correct. I've known the person in charge of putting this track together for several years, and he is a racer who genuinely cares about the sport (both cars and bikes). He is shooting for a fun, family atmosphere and has eyes towards the future of the sport. There are lots of ideas being tossed around. When they go to phase 2 it will be closer to 1.5 miles long and should be pretty motorcycle friendly in both directions. They are working away to clear even more trees, put up some infrastructure and be ready for a pilot event in late summer. We will keep everyone up to date.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Woodcraft; 06-29-15 at 10:00 AM.

I'd love to cut trees down, lay asphalt and slide sideways on the weekends if they need help.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Love to see the new tracks showing up. Very exciting. This track seems a bit better set up for some competition events at some time. Have to see if that happens but running new asphalt is always good!!

CCS #68
    2016 Husky FS450
    Huge thanks for all the support from MotoSport

Agreed. The other new tracks in the area are not going to be competition tracks for motorcycles. I talked with Thompson when they were putting it together and that was never the intent (they've succeeded in putting together a fun track day venue), and Palmer certainly has too many walls to consider that. This one could head that way down the road. There has been talk of a series for kids that feeds the LRRS series with new riders. It's all very early, but the layout and runoff that Canaan has looks like it will be bike friendly.

Awesome news, less than an hour from our place near Sunapee.

Did I miss it? Where is it located?

Canaan.

This is a very exciting "new" venue for the area!

Last night I got a last minute invite to go check the place out today on the RS125. I packed light so I threw the 125 in the back of the truck instead of towing the trailer there. Showed up at noon and Jeff Vader showed up shortly after. (He brought his trailer and all his tools, so he was my backup plan allowing me to travel light.) Bob Balla, a USCRA racer is the other motorcycle guy that showed up later. Already there were a few Miatas and a group of karters.

We basically split our time on the track among the 3 groups by doing 20 minute sessions, so it felt a lot like a typical track day. Us motorcycles got 5 sessions, so we did 3 clockwise and 2 counterclockwise. (Speaking of clock directions, the videos Eric posted have the labels reversed!)

So my opinion is that the track is fun in both directions. It flows well and it has its little technical sections that make it easy to learn yet hard to master. I tried recording video, but my Contour camera was misbehaving. As a consolation prize, I did record GPS data. Lap times where under a minute and my top speed was 76 mph. (I'm a slow Amateur, so adjust those numbers to your abilities!) Here's what the data from one of my faster laps looks like. (This is going clockwise)

Penguin first to ride new track in NH-2015-07-04_cannan-jpg

Another thing that surprised me was how smooth the pavement is. When my knee first touched down, it was so smooth I wasn't sure I was actually dragging knee! When I got off the track, the tires looked so clean they looked new! (I'm talking about the same set of Pirellis I ran the Big Fish endurance race on as well as 6 races on the Classic weekend!)

Penguin first to ride new track in NH-img_20150704_172026_rs125_tire_cannan_small-jpg

So, I for one am happy to know that Penguin is planning on running here!

edit:

Facebook seems to do a better job preserving image size and resolution. Here's a clearer picture of the data:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...52962645317544

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by rolker; 07-04-15 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Added link to data image
    Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Oh, and another very encouraging thing is that a few neighbors came out to check out what was going on, and they were all very happy to see us there! I guess we were quieter than the oval track cars they used to run there and the lights have been taken down, so no more racing after dark!

After the backlash new tracks are experiencing in the area, it's very refreshing to see this welcoming sentiment from the neighbors!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Roland, thanks for the report. I did notice my mis-labeled videos....after they were posted. We'll be heading back to do some more testing - I've known the track manager for several years and he is very receptive to feedback, he even raced bikes himself for a short time many years ago. Penguin is planning on having an event later this season, we'll post the information as soon as it is finalized.

The owner of the track is from the area, and one of his major motivations to build the track was to help the area economically. The town definitely seems behind the idea. We'll keep everyone up on what is going on as it all comes together.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Woodcraft; 07-07-15 at 10:22 AM.