Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to get started in racing, cheap - post your stories, how did you do it?

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

How to get started in racing, cheap - post your stories, how did you do it?

There has been some discussion lately on what it takes to get started in racing without spending a ton of money.....here is one story, anyone else?

Originally Posted by OreoGaborio
    "Eric pretty much took the words outta my mouth.

When I started racing, I did so on an EX500 and although I was trying my hardest to be competitive and win, I was able to do so on a relatively tight budget, thanks to the PTwins class.

$1500 for a race prepped EX500, another $200 for some warmers, $400 for a trailer, $200 for a hitch & wiring harness, another couple hundred for a race license and I was pretty much ready to go from track days to racing for well under $3000.

With a bike that hardly ever needed tires (I sold the bike 2 years later with the same tires Yeah, they were junk ) I was doing 3-4 races a weekend for about $200-300 a weekend, total cost."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Woodcraft; 05-27-11 at 09:05 AM.

Re: How to get started in racing, cheap - post your stories, how did you do it?

New 250 class?

I wouldn't say it was cheap but less expensive (at the start) then other bikes.

$500 Hawk GT with some haggled and traded parts to get me into ULSB. If I would have known about Production Twins before I got the Hawk I would have done that.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Get into a bike accident on the street. Don't attempt this!

Year 1 Racing $1500 Hawk (For Free) HOW? (my insurance happily paid me $8500 for when Denora Fernandez totaled my 929. $7000 for a 929 and $1500 for a Hawk) and a set of tires for 5 races. 1 race a weekend.
    Gas
    Food
    Entry fee
    Race entry fee
    all = cheap
    = cheap

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    Get into a bike accident on the street. Don't attempt this!

Year 1 Racing $1500 Hawk (For Free) HOW? (my insurance happily paid me $8500 for when Denora Fernandez totaled my 929. $7000 for a 929 and $1500 for a Hawk) and a set of tires for 5 races. 1 race a weekend.
    Gas
    Food
    Entry fee
    Race entry fee
    all = cheap
    = cheap
    Wanna come total my bike?

I have a similar story as Pete: $2,000 MZ Scorpion, used warmers and lap timer (not necessary)and I was ready to go. It was pretty much race entry fees from there on out. Sleeping in a tent helps, as does making your own peanut butter sammiches.

Race vintage!!

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

I also started with an EX500. $1500 for bike, $300 for leathers, $350 for boots, $100 for helmet, $100 for warmers, $300ish for licensing, $40 for stands, a set of free takeoffs would last me for 2 or 3 weekends. Just don't cra....yea...that gets expensive.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Keeping it simple is the most effective way to do this cheap... I was tempted to buy all kinds of pimped out parts for my bike but in reality it isn't necessary, and may even be a bad move. I want to push the stock parts to their limits before I upgrade and that way I'll appreciate the gains more when I actually need them. My bike is completely stock... stock exhaust, air filter, suspension, gearing... almost everything... and it was fast enough for me to win my first race. Most of the money I spent getting ready for this season was on my leathers and my helmet... two things that shouldn't be skimped on imo, but don't necessarily have to be majorly expensive. My approach basically is, not to buy more than I currently need. For the upcoming weekend I'm looking at spending maybe 300-450 depending on whether I do fri. practice or not, and I've had a month to come up w/it. Not too hard.

And... sleeping in a tent at the track is actually kind of cool. It reminds me of camping, only w/the sounds of badass motorcycles ripping around the track instead of gay birds and crickets.

Last edited by BrianC; 05-06-11 at 04:49 PM.
    LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

I haven't exactly figured out cheap yet... (my motard got spendy over the winter)

But I'll say there is plenty of used stuff available to get you going. Buy an ugly motorcycle so you won't cry when you wad it up.

Used gear is cheap and everywhere.

You can establish a symbiotic relationship with a fast guy with the same size tires...run his takeoffs for cheap(er).

Don't ever plan on taking a Buell to race. You're setting yourself up to be cold, isolated, and alone. (no spare parts, no sae tools)

That's all I can think of without getting too repetitive.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

There is something to be said for the cost savings of racing a bike that is VERY common at the track. SV650, modern 600s, EX500s etc. Because they're common, S&C will have critical parts on hand typically, and odds are someone will have what you need to get back on track in a tote for cheaper. People will also be able to point you right to what works and what doesn't for setup and accessories, so you don't have to do that research with your own wallet. That counts for A LOT when starting out.

Once you're comfy, if you wanna rock an oddball, have at it.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

A 1st gen SV is a relatively inexpensive bike to start on. I purchased my completely race-prepped 99 for $3K in 2008.

Scour the forums for used parts and accessories (tire warmers, stands, etc...)

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I did it myself, buying an EX500 for about $600 and then prepping it for about another $400-500. I raced 4 weekends on the cheap (1 rear tire, 2 fronts total). Total investment was about $1200 for 4 weekends. I then raced my first full season (1989) and managed to win a championship using 2 rear tires for the whole season (fronts wore out after one - a skinny little 100/90-16 metzeler). Luckily, I was able to pay for my front tires with Metzeler money. I got a local shop to give me a $100/weekend to help pay for entries and made them by title sponsor, gave them photos, brought the bike to the shop a couple times and thanked them often.

That start sucked me into the sport and kept me here until today. Over 22 years and 40 motorcycles later, I've been really fortunate to get a lot of help along the way from everyone from local shops, to my Dad and later from Kawasaki, Suzuki, Buell and Ducati. I've met a ton of great people along the way - most of my good friends come from road racing. Lots of time, money and effort....but I wouldn't change anything in the end.

Making the effort to get out there and try racing is something that is really worthwhile.....so whether it's an EX, motard bike or anything else - get out there and do it the best that you can with the means that you have. You'll make friends that will last a lifetime.

As it's been said before, a lot of the cost is up-front when you first start out....SO - buy everything during the off-season - especially now-a-days.

My Pops bought his bike (SV 650 w/ tons of spares), and all his gear, and accessories during the fall and over the winter. He was going to try to rush and fit in the very last Penguin School last year, but waited...

He had plenty of time to hunt out the bargains, and we all know you usually get better pricing in the fall compared the the spring. He saved a ton of $$ this way.

~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

I will tell you how to not do it cheap... Build a ULSB hawk from a frame, then buy a couple sets of leathers sight unsean that dont fit. Crash the bike often, and bring your broke girlfriend along.

Drew got into racing this year for $1500 for an almost ready to go hawk, borowwed leathers and warmers, did the new 1/2 price entry fee and free track entry deal with penguin and slept in dans camper. He raced his first weekend for under 2k bike included.

LRRS #951
    My girlfriend wants to be like me when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sometimes violence IS the answer. The answer every other time is busa.

Well my little short story is I started racing a 600rr because that is the bike I happend to have at the time. That was a bad idea. I bought cheapo brand eBay fairing and the bike was bone stock except for a slip on. I greatly underestimated the cost of tires etc and couldn't keep up. The only way I, somehow, raced two seasons was with the help of a close friend and his parents who I pitted with so my actual stay at the track was free.

Now I'm educated on the cost of racing doing it the wrong way the first time I have learned to make a budget and am planning a long term goal to get back into racing in two years. Also planning on UL or lights.

Last edited by Lucas; 05-10-11 at 10:47 AM.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

My racing SHOULD be cheap. If you take the luxuries out of the equation, it's pretty reasonable. The only reason it's not cheap for me is I treat every race weekend like a vacation, so I spend more on food and luxuries than I should. It's still cheaper than being a fast MW guy burning multiple tires/weekend.

EX500, fully prepped, Penske and all - $1700
    Leathers - Gift! ($50 in redbull)
    Gloves - $80 used (Held)
    Helmet - Just spent $550ish, my first was $150. I've decided not to skimp on helmets anymore
    Back Protector - $40 used (661)
    I hear licensing runs $400, I don't recall
    Warmers, $80
    Stands, $70

So, to show up to the game with the bike, all my gear, licensed and all cost me $2570.

I run takeoffs, and figuring what they last I probably spend $20/weekend on tires.
    3 races/weekend $205
    ^ includes gate and camping
    Gas, $20 for 3 days with an EX.

So, if you ignore some luxuries, once I had my $2570 bike, gear, license, etc. I could go racing, in theory, for $245 a weekend. Really, for the fun I have up there, this is a killer deal. Forget $/lap, etc. You can't have a better weekend for a few hundred dollars.

Some luxuries that drive the cost up more:
    Camper stored at track $200/season =$25/weekend
    Garage every weekend $35/weekend
    Spending too much on food, beverages, etc $100/weekend
    Going out to eat $75/weekend
    spare parts/gear/etc (read: crashing) unknown
    Penguin Fridays )season pass, ~100/weekend?

Ambition Outweighs Talent strgt's Avatar

I started pretty cheap for a middle weight bike. I bought an 03 600rr for $3000 all set up to race, suspension spare bodywork some spare parts. I towed everything with a 96 Saturn SC2, and a very small open trailer which got 24mpg loaded up. I bought a used trailer for $100 and fixed it up. I camped in a tent at the track, and stole power from the bathrooms I also ran cheap take-offs, and could typically get through a weekend spending about $250-$300 total for 2 races.

Last edited by strgt; 05-10-11 at 02:35 PM.

www.streetandcomp.com
    LRRS/CCS/WERA Am. #290
    NESBA Adv. #290

Quote Originally Posted by strgt View Post
    I started pretty cheap for a middle weight bike. I bought an 03 600rr for $3000 all set up to race, suspension spare bodywork some spare parts. I towed everything with a 96 Saturn SC2, and a very small open trailer which got 24mpg loaded up. I bought a used trailer for $100 and fixed it up. I camped in a tent at the track, and stole power from the bathrooms I also ran cheap take-offs, and could typically get through a weekend spending about $250-$300 total for 2 races.
    Pretty much just described my exact situation.... except I share gas / trailer with my father.

~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

So lets say ytou have a bike like an SV650 and have been to a few track days.

What are the specific steps required to get a competition license, and start racing?

Attend and pass penguin basic school, complete rookie race, and enter one additional race. I believe lrrs is still doing the 3 races on your rookie weekend for $90 (this is in addition to the rr).

Just prep your bike.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Also see this for more pertinent info:

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ed-racing.html

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

>>>

• the street SV was bought and paid for 8 years ago, $3200. almost new
    • suspension was already upgraded for trackdays over a few years
    • gear already upgraded for trackdays, all bought on closeout or in the winter for short money
    • bought bellypan 6 years ago for trackdays, finally mounted it for racing
    • definitely did not have this in mind when I bought the luggage 7 years ago
    • naked bike is fine for Loudon, no fairings to paint, crash, repair

Race-specific costs for the first round, excluding license and race fees:

• $300. DOT race tires
    • $175. spare wheels for above (street tires stay mounted for street riding)
    • $400.-ish Shoei Snell 2010 helmet (in all fairness, needed this anyway)
    • $425-ish. new transponder
    • $300. second set of spare wheels with used rains
    • $80. used race tail (easier for numbers and saves street plastics)
    • $40. used rear lights and Dzus fasteners to fab up quick release street light module

Living just less than one hour away doesn't hurt, either: no eating out, no room charges, but getting up at 5am both days is brutal.

This bike is still ridden on the street, changeover takes 15 minutes plus wheel swap.

Last edited by brady; 07-16-11 at 06:05 AM. Reason: more stuff
    '02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

I bought a bunch of quality, used gear when I started. Cruise craigslist and forums for dealios.

When I started I bought:
    Arai Quantum/f helmet (new) off eBay - $300
    Joe Rocket 1pc suit - $200 (needed $40 worth of repairs, total $240)
    Alpinestars SMX-3 boots off Craigslist - $75 (still have them 6 years later!)
    Vanson gloves at openhouse - $40
    Knox back protector off Craiglist - $70

Total: $725

Some people buy 1 helmet or half a suit for that much!

I followed up my admittedly 'not great' joe rocket suit with a awesome used (excellent condition) Dainese for $400 of the Hawk Forum. Used that suit for 5 years.

Living on the left coast in the land of fruits and nuts, but still a frugal Yankee at heart......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast