Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
I did it myself, buying an EX500 for about $600 and then prepping it for about another $400-500. I raced 4 weekends on the cheap (1 rear tire, 2 fronts total). Total investment was about $1200 for 4 weekends. I then raced my first full season (1989) and managed to win a championship using 2 rear tires for the whole season (fronts wore out after one - a skinny little 100/90-16 metzeler). Luckily, I was able to pay for my front tires with Metzeler money. I got a local shop to give me a $100/weekend to help pay for entries and made them by title sponsor, gave them photos, brought the bike to the shop a couple times and thanked them often.

That start sucked me into the sport and kept me here until today. Over 22 years and 40 motorcycles later, I've been really fortunate to get a lot of help along the way from everyone from local shops, to my Dad and later from Kawasaki, Suzuki, Buell and Ducati. I've met a ton of great people along the way - most of my good friends come from road racing. Lots of time, money and effort....but I wouldn't change anything in the end.

Making the effort to get out there and try racing is something that is really worthwhile.....so whether it's an EX, motard bike or anything else - get out there and do it the best that you can with the means that you have. You'll make friends that will last a lifetime.
thank you for this message.. very honest and inspiring