Removing bent footpegs

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

One thing I have always noticed is that when the woodcraft foot pegs bend in a crash, they can be a real pain to get off or replacement. The bend can make it hard to get at the bolt holding the peg on and the bolt is often bent also. Taking the whole bracket off to get at an Allen bolt that goes in from the back means you have no leverage (the bracket is not secured to the frame any more)

I love woodcraft rearsets for street and track but this one problem has always struck me as something that MUST have a solution. Maybe a breakaway half of the peg or something.

BTW I always drill a hole through my woodcraft pegs so when they get bent in a crash I can stick a screwdriver through them to help with bent peg removal.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Re: Removing bent footpegs

Woodcraft now makes footpegs with slashes in them to help prevent this sort of thing from happening. They break off before bending. I have them on my SV now.

Last edited by The Snowman; 12-19-12 at 12:06 PM.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

I'm behind the times :-)

There are still cases where it continues to grind and bends the peg inside of the black housing. I've reused these, but it's sometimes a real pain to get the peg out of the housing. This is usually why I have a spare of just about every rearset part.

|

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    Woodcraft now makes footpegs with slashes in them to help prevent this sort of thing from happening. They break off before bending. I have them on my SV now.

Yes, and it was to help with the issue Degs is talking about. We are still working on switching the whole line over, so let me know if you want to upgrade and I'll let you know if they are available for what you're running. Most major pegs have made the switch by now.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

I've never had this problem with the old pegs and I've bounced a few of them off the ground while attached to the bike. never bent a single peg, the bracket they attach to always bent a little. I even wore one peg down from new all the way to about an inch in one crash. The bracket didn't even bend in that crash, just the shifter lever.

It depends on the style of peg. Degsy is talking about the type where the peg goes through the bracket that attaches to the pedal lever. When they bend, they bend inside the bracket, making them unable to rotate and a real pain to remove.

Some of the rearsets have the peg attach outside of how the pedal moves up and down, so these do not have the same issue.

The CBR footpegs are the same type that Degsy mentions though, right?

|

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    It depends on the style of peg. Degsy is talking about the type where the peg goes through the bracket that attaches to the pedal lever. When they bend, they bend inside the bracket, making them unable to rotate and a real pain to remove.

Some of the rearsets have the peg attach outside of how the pedal moves up and down, so these do not have the same issue.

The CBR footpegs are the same type that Degsy mentions though, right?
    the shifter side peg goes through the shifter lever. the brake side doesn't go through the brake lever