Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsorship... Teach Me!

Sponsorship... Teach Me!

So I am giving Racing a go this year and have a few questions.

I have only been involved with "The Track" more or less one season. Won a TD 2 seasons ago & last season hit the track steadily and fell in love with this Money hungry sport. Did all the TTD & BoMo days that were in NH.

I have about 15 Track days under my belt so far.

My question is:

I have no idea how to even start or apply for sponsorship, or what is needed for me to get sponsorship.

I am getting ready to build my 09 CBR 600RR, And would like to use the sponsors & discounts to accomplish this task to make a race bike.

I will be doing the Penguin School on April 24th if all works out well and will start my season then...

So Can the NESR Crew School this NooB on who should I get for sponsors, how to get the sponsor, and what do you get when you are sponsored...

Thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Sponsorship... Teach Me!

You can call and ask for the racer discount at lots of places. Tell them it's your rookie year and you don't have a license or assigned number yet. Lots of time they'll give you some form of discount. Every company has different sponsorship requirements. Some want full application packages, some want an e-mail. You won't see any amazing savings but you might get a few bucks off.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

ride hard and beg fast... or something like that

Thanks...

Not looking for them to pick up the tab, Just trying to get some help with things and see how it all works. I did not even know I could get any sponsorship as a Rooky then read that I should start ASAP if I planned to race.

Just trying to see how all this works and do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    Not looking for them to pick up the tab,
    Thats a step in the right direction. If you got friends at a dealership see if they have racer deals. If not, if LP still does their privateer program thats a decent setup. Your only real hopes is getting a discount on parts and things of that nature. If you knew how few people get stuff free, youd be amazed.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Lifer

hotbodies gave me their racer discount before I did the school and got my license. Never hurts to ask when you're ordering parts. Going manufacturer direct for aftermarket stuff may give you a better shot too, and a good chance to start building a relationship.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

If motorcycle racing is anything like car racing, it's tough to get sponsored your rookie year. Ultimately you need to show your sponsors that by sponsoring you they are going to benefit.
    You may want to ask for a racer discount verses a sponsorship. You may have better luck, at least the first year. Be friendly, obviously aim for some great finishes and then sell yourself to the vendor that you're interested in.

Fitz

Sponsorship is difficult to get especially at the Novice and Amatuer level.

We did a packet with sponsorship levels and what benefits the sponsor would get at each. I submitted that to a number of agencies that I thought fit with our program... Needless to say no one took a bite.

I would advise to forget sponsorship until you are an Expert and can offer more in the way of podiums, etc.
    I would also advise getting into racing as cheaply as possible. An 09 600rr is gonna cost alot to run.

You can try to get some discounts/sponsorship online... Loop'd is a good start. http://sponsorship.loopd.com/Members...e/Default.aspx

Last edited by Doc; 11-20-09 at 01:34 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

It is the discount I am more looking for at this point, maybe just to hep me get started. I know I have nothing valuable to offer at this time in the game. I did not know they were all that different.(sponsorship/discount)

I am willing to advertise there stuff no problem.. that's a given.

Last edited by FireboltEric_MA; 11-20-09 at 01:41 PM.

Loop'd sucks IMO. oh well... Moto Addiction is hoping to score some new sponsors in interesting places for 2010... Although we're happy with what we have and plan to stay loyal to them.

A good start may be to buy parts from company's who you see sponsoring other racers from your area, since you know they are willing... then when you get a bit faster and advance through the rankings, ask for support yourself.

Im a podium placing expert. Im happy to accept sponsorship in the form of cash money, italian subs, pussy, and/or pop tarts. PM me for details.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Im a podium placing expert. Im happy to accept sponsorship in the form of cash money, italian subs, pussy, and/or pop tarts. PM me for details.
    PM sent

Pm sent also.....

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Instinct: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

I got some bites at loopd from a few places. i only applied to places that i could benefit from. it gets your foot in the door with them at least. start there. most of the stuff you get will seem inconsequentual but its a start at least. the more experience you get the more people will be willing to help out a little. you really needed to start in sept/oct, this is the time of year for apps so get started soon.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Draft up a resume with some info about you and your current abilities, and your goals for the season. Include some pretty pictures. Send it to companies.

I did this before I started racing and was able to secure half a dozen sponsorships (with some very significant discount levels) in the winter before my first season, before I was licensed or had a number. It's not hard.

After that, use/get their gear/product and put their logos on your bike. Write up quarterly reports (and maybe a pre-season report) with your results, how you did, and pictures of you riding your bike that is now sporting their logos and stickers. Some sponsorships actually require this via a contract. most of them have tiers of sponsorship and you will likely be towards the bottom.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Damned, so I am already behind the 8 ball to start.... And I thought I was early...

Thanks for the info... Now to figure out what a resume should look like and consist of as I have no "Race experience"...or even seen a rase resume before...OI

Last edited by FireboltEric_MA; 11-20-09 at 02:53 PM.

I agree. I got some good hookups from Sponsorhouse this year. I also turned down a lot of stuff that I didn't need and didn't just send applications to everywhere. I hope these new companies that I got on board with will lead to a growing, long-term relationship.

A good idea also would be to first figure out what you need to get you through the season. Then seek companies that could help you get what you need. More important though is to provide them something in return. This is all for the purpose of helping the company sell more product. Start with only a few, and focus on positive representation of those companies.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Look them straight in the eye and tell them you will do ANYTHING for their sponsership.

Seriously, I will talk to my insider friends over at HRC for you. In the meantime can I borrow about 150 smackaroos for a new slick? I will pay you back when I get my contigency winnings from it. And I will list you as my sponser.

I may have to list Mike as a sponsor. He helped provide funds during my round 8 "rent a slave" program.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Get used to doing this and you'll be all set...

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Oh that is way easier than the way I thought it would be...

Last time I had to for some parts and I got it all over....

Wai, wat!

It is tough if you are just starting out. You really want some actual racing experience and results to go out and get decent sponsors as they don't really want to take your 'word on it' that you are even going to race a season and do decent/represent them well. This is probably a better thread in the fall of 2010 when you have a season under your belt. But as mentioned, it never hurts to ask!

LRRS #399
    MX #505

I went about getting a discount on racing parts by getting to know a director of one of the trackday organizations and convinced him to make me a coach. I showed him that not only was I fast, controlled, and consistant but that I was also able to work well with and assist others where/when needed. This enabled me to get my trackdays for free. More importantly, it opened up the door to discuss club racing with him as he was an accomplished expert racer with a couple of national titles under his belt. I basically e-mailed an informal resume to him, giving him my bit of background in club racing that I've done. He offered me the chance to run with him in a few events next season, and because he has connections he said he could get me good discounts on numerous parts and services. I haven't asked for sponsorship as I have not yet proven that I'm worthy of investing a nickel into. But hopefully I can prove that I'm a competitive racer in 2010 that's worth a look.

Just wanted to offer a different angle for you to look at. When it comes down to it you could be one of the fastest racers on the grid but it won't mean much if you don't have P.R. skills. Go to more trackdays and schmooze with the staff members. Offer assistance in trackday set up, registration, breakfast bitch, etc....

This will get your foot in the door with people that know people that you can benefit from when going from trackdays to club racing.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    Now to figure out what a resume should look like and consist of as I have no "Race experience"...or even seen a rase resume before...OI
    Hello Future Sponser,

My name is Eric (some call me FireBolt Eric becasue I am as fast as a firebolt on my motorized cycle) I would greatly appreciate your money and products to use on my uber fast race bike to make it even faster and cooler.

Please send me some new parts, some money and some cool stickers to put on the bike.

Sincerly your new racer,
    Firebot Eric

scubaS, you forgot to add "and tons of bitches" in that letter

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast