Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Considering moving from the DC area to Boston

Re: Considering moving from the DC area to Boston

Boston has the most efficient road network possible: if you were an 18th century cow.

Actually there are straight roads and perpendicular intersections: anyplace that was landfill, like most of the Back Bay, parts of South Boston, parts of Cambridge, etc.

Boston was one of the first cities to get public transportation and some routes work really well. I went to an event at Sanders Theatre near Harvard Square last night. Left my house at 4:46pm and I was standing in front of it at 5:13.

I know a few people who live in Hull and commute downtown by ferry. That's the way to get to work!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I read the first part of the sentence and was like WTF? I read the second part of the sentence and laughed, exactly.

Honestly transportation in Boston isn't bad. Commuting from outside Boston, during peak hours is an incredible pain.

Last edited by jasnmar; 09-19-14 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Two of the biggest interstate highways in the north east.. and the interchange between them is a single lane clover leaf.
    MSP call it "Malfunction Junction." But that's a suburban commuter problem, like the feed from 93 S to Storrow Dr.

Waze is terrific for identifying and avoiding clusterfucks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 09-20-14 at 01:46 AM.

Welcome, OP. Are/were you on any of the moto forums down there, like dcsportbikes.net?

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I feel like I'm one of the few people that loves D.C. That said, the traffic there is only slightly worse than it is here. And the property prices only slightly lower.
    I lived in the beltway area for approx 5 years and had a great time, riding included. I miss the longer riding season and proximity to racetracks (Summit Point and VIR ). Definitely don't miss lack of proximity to the ocean and ski mountains.

I can't offer much of a comparison between the two metro areas, but I feel that traffic is worse in the DC area overall. The rush hours seem to stretch for a longer duration down there. However, I think that the DC metro system is better than the T. In the end, it's highly dependent upon where you are commuting to/from and how much you want to spend on housing. Can't argue with the ability to walk to work, though!

2004 SV650S

Guess he decided to stay,

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Guess he decided to stay,
    Sorry for not responding for awhile. I'm still considering the move and I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12