Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trackday on a new bike

Trackday on a new bike

So I'm going to Thompson on the 18th with my new ride and I'm expecting a bit of a different experience compared to my previous trackdays. Up until now all my time on the track had been aboard my beloved rc51, this go around will be on my hypermotard, while not sportbike vs. cruiser different I find the two to be quite different in a few areas. Specifically related to the track I'm thinking first about the very different riding position and second the limited top speed of the Hyper.

While the Hyper feels infinitely more flickable, is the upright position going to feel awkward on the track?

I've only seen one video from TMS but i think it showed that bike hitting ~150 on the straight, this is almost 20mph faster than the Hyper' s claimed top speed. Straight line speed wasn't really a concern with the old pig, how much should I now be concerned with holding guys up?

Any input and insight is appreciated!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hyper

Re: Trackday on a new bike

Upright is where it's at.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

You are way more likely to hold people up on a bike that's faster in a straight line. Ie motoring past the fast guys on slow bikes on the straights, then parking it in the corners. I will be there on the 18th as well, come say hello to a fellow Rhode Islander!

You will likely not top out your hyper. Don't even let that get into your head. There will be slower bikes out there guaranteed.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Chipper, I absolutely love the new riding position, except on the highway which I gratefully don't have to do often. When I'm at Thompson should I be setting my body up like I would on a sportbike? Or is there some other go-fast technique for a bike like this?

Petorius, will you be the bike in your avatars? Speed/Street Triple?

And I was thinking the top speed concern may have been a little unnecessary, I'll just give the obligatory peek behind me if I think I'm holding people up.

Last edited by jeantarrou; 07-26-14 at 07:59 AM.
    Hyper

Some more about looking behind you...

The only people that should consider giving a peek behind them are riders on fast bikes - that are generally not that fast in the corners.

You are describing the opposite and therefore should not be bothering to look behind on the straight - people will go around you.

Having said this, even riders on fast bikes should only consider looking behind on the straight when they don't see anyone in front of them (possibly because people are stacked up behind you).

An alternative to looking behind is what I do regularly. I come on to the straight and then go roughly 80% pace down the straight. This gives me some extra time to rest, think about the last lap's errors, and focus on improving the next lap.

Finally, if you come on to the straight and people are regularly stacked up behind you - you are in the wrong group. Please bump down a group.

Last edited by TTD; 07-26-14 at 06:06 AM.
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    Chipped, I absolutely love the new riding position, except on the highway which I gratefully don't have to do often. When I'm at Thompson should I be setting my body up like I would on a sportbike? Or is there some other go-fast technique for a bike like this?

Petorius, will you be the bike in your avatars? Speed/Street Triple?

And I was thinking the top speed concern may have been a little unnecessary, I'll just give the obligatory peek behind me if I think I'm holding people up.
    Proper body position is the same, your hands are just in a different spot.
    Pete's bike is a silver sv.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    Some more about looking behind you...

The only people that should consider giving a peek behind them are riders on fast bikes - that are generally not that fast in the corners.

You are describing the opposite and therefore should not be bothering to look behind on the straight - people will go around you.

Having said this, even riders on fast bikes should only consider looking behind on the straight when they don't see anyone in front of them (possibly because people are stacked up behind you).

An alternative to looking behind is what I do regularly. I come on to the straight and then go roughly 80% pace down the straight. This gives me some extra time to rest, think about the last lap's errors, and focus on improving the next lap.

Finally, if you come on to the straight and people are regularly stacked up behind you - you are in the wrong group. Please bump down a group.
    All makes sense to me. I was a mid-pack to fast rider in Bomo's intermediate group, does the yellow group seem like a good fit to you Tony?

Hyper

The Hyper is nearly ideal for Thompson! The only issue you will have is how to wipe the shit eating grin off of your face!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    The Hyper is nearly ideal for Thompson! The only issue you will have is how to wipe the shit eating grin off of your face!

Hyper

I did it on a naked SV last week. You'll be fine.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Hyper is 800cc, no? Google says somewhere around 80 or 100HP?! I don't know these bikes well. Since when is that considered a "slow" bike?!
    Something tells me your skill will be the limiting factor, not the bike. Put another way, no, I would not worry about holding anyone. Even if you are.. fawk'em. You paid, play on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Upright is where it's at.
    I think I'm with stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Hyper is 800cc, no? Google says somewhere around 80 or 100HP?! I don't know these bikes well. Since when is that considered a "slow" bike?!
    Something tells me your skill will be the limiting factor, not the bike. Put another way, no, I would not worry about holding anyone. Even if you are.. fawk'em. You paid, play on.

I've got the 1100, under 100hp, gobs of torque and what I consider short gearing and modest top speed.

I really was mostly curious about being underpowered on the straights, doesn't sound like that should be much of a concern. Plus, I really like Tony's recommendation to go at 80% on the straights to kind of refocus.

Hyper

Lifer

That thing should rip. Toss a wave as you pass me.

Fellow Rhode Islander here. Will be there on August 18 also. First track day on my 636. But should be similar to experience of my cbr600. First post heart attack track day.

Greg

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Fellow Rhode Islander here. Will be there on August 18 also. First track day on my 636. But should be similar to experience of my cbr600. First post heart attack track day.

Greg
    My boss lives down by you Greg, he says it's god's country!

Hyper

It's pretty good. And good riding isn't too far. I'm about three miles south of twisted throttle.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    Plus, I really like Tony's recommendation to go at 80% on the straights to kind of refocus.
    If you find yourself on the other end of the spectrum where you find yourself behind the traffic stacking up behind a school bus you can always spin through the hot pit and then when you come back out you have 2-3 laps of nobody in front of you until you meet up with the traffic again.

Definitely... the hot pit option is always there.

Or, with such a long straight like Thompson - you could also just stick to the right of the track at 50% pace and let the pack run away from you. I have done this method when I'm only a little faster than someone and would have to make a risky pass to get by. Rather than follow them around closely and get frustrated - I let them gap me about half the straight and then play "catch up".

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

My friend has a hyper was was pretty fast in the Yellow group. I'll be going again on the 17th switching from a 2008 R1 to 2014 Monster 1200s and will be riding in red group. I would think you would be fine.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    Definitely... the hot pit option is always there.
    I have tried this a couple times and it has never really worked for me. I either wind up behind another pack.. or catch the same pack within a lap or less. Not to mention the waste of valuable track time.

Just wanted to comment about my day, it was freaking great. I feel like Paul is right too, the Hyper seemed made for that track.

First of all, my concern over the top speed was pretty much unfounded like most of you predicted, although I was certainly passed on the straight I didn't feel like I was holding anyone up.

The first few sessions were very mellow as I was trying to take in all the new information my brain was receiving with the new bike and unfamiliar track. By the 3rd session things started to "slow down" for me and I was able to really concentrate on proper lines, braking and what gear to be in.

Probably not surprising to anyone but the bike really excelled in the corners and on the brakes. I had so much fun finding ways around guys without veering too far of the suggested line, although I was a little conflicted here because I wanted to use that suggested line, but the different strengths of the bike seemed to push me to unorthodox ways around people. Does anyone have any input on this? During times of clear track hitting all the tip-in marks and apexes felt "right", but I felt like I was getting pretty far away from that when getting around people...

As for getting bikes on the brakes, that's easily my weakest skill and I still could be a lot better, but I started getting more and more comfortable going relatively deep and trail braking a bit...

I also need to work on getting off the bike more, those high bars make it feel really awkward, but after seeing pics of the fast guys on this style of bike it's obvious I can do better.

I just signed up for the Sept 23rd day at Thompson, can't wait to work on my skill some more! Oh, and after grinding my toe sliders and pegs most of the day I realized just before the last session that my rearsets were set at the lowest and more forward position I'm sure getting them up and back some more will really help!

Thanks to Tony for an awesome day, my paddock mate for the confidence inspiring insight, PK for tweaking my suspension and all the CR's for the knowledge.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hyper

Nice to meet you (this is Pete), thats a sweet bike you've got there. Knowing that Tony encourages the "don't re-pass for at least one corner" etiquette, I will go pretty far off line or deep into the braking zone to pass a slower rider that's holding me up.

Hey Pete, it was really nice to meet you too. And thanks for the compliment on the bike, she sure is pretty!

You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but I'm not exactly sure what Tony' s rule/etiquette means? Could you explain?

Hyper

Cool see u at the 9/23 day.

2013 ZX6R-636

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast