Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone ever done a J Day?

Anyone ever done a J Day?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

There are a few guys who have done them here.. I did one a couple of years ago and I thought it was excruciating. But I was a (relative) beginner both in the woods and in terms of fitness. I don't regret doing it at all, but it was a pretty hard day!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    There are a few guys who have done them here.. I did one a couple of years ago and I thought it was excruciating. But I was a (relative) beginner both in the woods and in terms of fitness. I don't regret doing it at all, but it was a pretty hard day!
    I was warned that it's intense cardio, and I'm not in great shape... my friend said if I could just finish I'd be ahead of a bunch of the crowd. It would be the 40+ senior class...

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I was warned that it's intense cardio, and I'm not in great shape... my friend said if I could just finish I'd be ahead of a bunch of the crowd. It would be the 40+ senior class...
    I did the sportsman class (which I think is basically "slower people who are too young for other classes") and I got lapped pretty good.. and a few competitors rode by me and shouted choice words of encouragement.

If you can ride dirt for 15-20 minutes without collapsing, you'll probably be fine for fitness? That's about how fit I was at the time. I also had to work a lot harder because I kept crashing, would have to pick up the bike, try and restart it, etc. Go fast and don't crash and you'll be fine

edited to add: the JDay folks were very friendly and accommodating having a newbie out there, but it was hard yakka. It felt way, way harder than being on an MX track (where I am still pretty slow)

Last edited by number9; 06-08-21 at 01:51 PM.

I do a couple a year. I run C Senior, which is over 40. It's usually about 40 in our wave. They also run 3 other groups. (2) 30 minute motos.

It's hard. A little nerve racking. But fun, too. I keep doing them and I'm definitely not a motocross guy. Good training. Interesting to do. You should probably be comfortable riding in the woods. And being passed. The rest of it is fine. There's an easy route around the extreme section if you don't want to do it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Fine I'm the woods, we have pretty nasty trails around me. I've been wanting to take a vid of a course i made. I'm most worried about cardio and other riders.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna donity, I have some off-road tires coming. I think my son will do the 50cc class too.

Fine I'm the woods, we have pretty nasty trails around me. I've been wanting to take a vid of a course i made. I'm most worried about cardio and other riders.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna donity, I have some off-road tires coming. I think my son will do the 50cc class too.
    I think if you're fine in the woods you'll be fine. Yeah, cardio is gonna suck, but I think you should do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I think if you're fine in the woods you'll be fine. Yeah, cardio is gonna suck, but I think you should do it anyway.
    Thanks dude!

If your slow, its really only like 26 minutes. Besides the start, you only get passed by people lapping you later in the race. Just hold your line.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

I did one and hated it. Waited like 3 hrs to ride and my wave was packed. I compare it to a warrior dash on bikes.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    I did one and hated it. Waited like 3 hrs to ride and my wave was packed. I compare it to a warrior dash on bikes.
    That's fair. No practice, just the two motos. So definitely some waiting. The positive is that plenty of time to recover from the first moto. Also, its cool to watch the fast guys and see how they are doing it.

LRRS/CCS #66

hope you're still doing this, wish this was a week or two out, i've been looking for an event to enter my Pee Wees in, would be fun to meet up. keep me posted if you guys do another.

side note: we're def hitting the NETRA Jack Frost Fun Run Oct 3rd down here in Oxford, MA

Beta 200RR

Never done one or ridden the woods around Hemonds. But, the MX tracks there are super fun. About 20 of us rented the place for a day several years ago, dirt cheap, no frills laps.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    hope you're still doing this, wish this was a week or two out, i've been looking for an event to enter my Pee Wees in, would be fun to meet up. keep me posted if you guys do another.

side note: we're def hitting the NETRA Jack Frost Fun Run Oct 3rd down here in Oxford, MA
    Feel like I've been in a different state every week doing supermoto for the last month. Headed to Wisconsin Thursday. Once the racing season settles down, I'll be more available to ride dirt. I usually cap off the year at Southwick for that last j day. I'll have to look into that Jack Frost fun run.

LRRS/CCS #66

Its this weeked! My intentions of training resulted in me doing zero training

Im gonna be so gassed

My son is super hyped

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    Feel like I've been in a different state every week doing supermoto for the last month. Headed to Wisconsin Thursday. Once the racing season settles down, I'll be more available to ride dirt. I usually cap off the year at Southwick for that last j day. I'll have to look into that Jack Frost fun run.
    meant to say hello up at Loudon, been years since i had met you but saw you on our way out ... sweet on all the sumo races, nice work! ... Jack Frost is a fun day, usually they have a chili cookoff and great loops set up. mellow atmosphere, hit as many loops as you want with a few hero sections and go-arounds. my little guys are pumped for the pee wee course.

Its this weeked! My intentions of training resulted in me doing zero training

Im gonna be so gassed

My son is super hyped
    training-schmaining ... a wise old soul once told me all you need is 99 Problems blaring on the way to the track, suit up, pound a Red Bull at the start line ... make win

good luck, man! it's a good time for sure. demanding, but a good time.

Beta 200RR

Crashed once, finished both motos, didn't come in last, go pro crapped out. 6 yr old son killed it, rode like 1hr 20 min, finished not last.
    He need a better bike though, the kdx50 couldn't make it up everything.

Pics tomorrow, I'm fucking toast

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Crashed once, finished both motos, didn't come in last, go pro crapped out. 6 yr old son killed it, rode like 1hr 20 min, finished not last.

Win in my book.

I even like gaining positions in the second moto from others being too tired to ride.

LRRS/CCS #66

Outstanding!

I think my boy was one of the smallest kids there on the smallest bike (there was a PW50 as well I guess). Im so proud he finished. Looking at the go pro footage he went down like 5 times in the woods and people helped him.

Im on the orange KTM, black gear, red helmet.

Last edited by xrocket21; 07-25-21 at 09:05 AM.

Noted, you guys are always welcome to come up and do some mountain/ woods riding too. We have a tent camp site or youre welcome to sleep inside as well lol. We have a spare queen bed a fold out couch, and plenty of floor space.

edit: was hyped for jack frost and my wife pointed out we will be in Idaho for the Ford Performance school for the Explorer ST we we bought. Next year we will be there!!!!!

Last edited by xrocket21; 07-25-21 at 09:01 AM.

nice work !! sounds like you both had a fantastic first round, love it ! yeah, we def need to hook up at some point, i just bumped the boys up to CRFs, they're loving the extra power.

Beta 200RR

nice work !! sounds like you both had a fantastic first round, love it ! yeah, we def need to hook up at some point, i just bumped the boys up to CRFs, they're loving the extra power.
    I think we got the helmet and goggles from you?

what model CRFs are they on?

I think we got the helmet and goggles from you?

what model CRFs are they on?
    def helmet, and maybe the CP? cant remember. glad that stuff has been getting use!

110 and 50 CRFs. they were on 80 and 50 PWs ... the weights are a big change but i had them take the Planet Dirt school to see how the transition would be. other than kinda crappy tires (and the fact that they aren't 2T, heh), they've been the perfect upgrades.

Beta 200RR