Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

R1 close to Street Legal!

My 2001 R1 Project from a salvage title to legal (Soon) Only has 5500 miles on her!

First ride tonight:
    So I took her out for a ride tonight and love the way it rides. No major issues at all, the tranny is tite, the throttle is smooth just needs an idle adjustment - revs are too low. I have to stiffin the suspension and adjust the rebound/compression, it's way off. Feels nice but too soft and comfortable giving bad responces out of corners. much too bouncy! Who ever owned this before never touched the stock settings. Only other things left to do is sauder the ignition wiring and wrap the whole harness once shink tubing is on. go buy the right color for my touch up spots in the paint, very few! Then make my appointment for the state inspection! Should fly no problem!

So How does she look?

One I do not like compairing with my RC is the ride height is lower, my knees are higher up on the tank, I am leaned over more due to lower clip ons, plus the seat is angled down and into the tank which hurts the "boys" (Corbin Purchase If I keep her!)and the power responce is like a whole different animal, I have to rev the piss out of it to get the power responce I get from my RC. I was up in the 7K range and still felt week compaired to my RC..

What I do completely love though is how easy I can throw the R1 into corners. It's like Butta... So easy and responsive to tight corners, and smooth pulling out of corners as far as giving her gas! I could get myself into a lot of trouble with this R1 in twisties, much too easy to throw around!! I might have to bring this to Deals Gap next trip!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Half Squid; 07-01-04 at 08:38 PM.
    Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Mmmm High Mount MIG !!!

www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Other side! This was the crashed side. Can you tell???

www.tailofthedragon.com

Rear.

www.tailofthedragon.com

aka Johnny Valve Stem need4speed's Avatar

Very nice Mike !

John
    LRRS\CCS #714
    2004 Duc 620 monster racebike
    89 EX500 racebike - sold
    98 Superhawk 996

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains".

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

Very nice, good job with it!!!

My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

Who can help me bleed the brakes, or teach me how??? The fronts are soft. The pads look to be in good shape so I believe bleeding them will fix the issue! Right?

Rotors are perfect, this was one thing I was worried may have been wrong, but they are as smooth as silk..

www.tailofthedragon.com

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Originally posted by Half Squid
    Who can help me bleed the brakes, or teach me how??? The fronts are soft. The pads look to be in good shape so I believe bleeding them will fix the issue! Right?

Rotors are perfect, this was one thing I was worried may have been wrong, but they are as smooth as silk..

Get her down here and we can bleed them.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

SUPER easy Do you want to do a full flush or just a quick bleed?

Go to Autozone and get the 'one man brake bleeding kit' it has the fitting that fits into the bleeder bolt, and a tube so you can push the fluid into a container. Much less mess.

Crack the bleeder nut loose, and then just snug it back. Leave the closed end wrench on the nut and attach the fitting/tube and route the tube to a container. you can tape straws together and lengthen it if you need to.

Start with the side furthest from the master cylinder, the left side.

1 Verify the brake fluid is full
    2 Open bleeder
    3 Pull brake lever, and dont let go.
    4 Snug the bleeder
    5 let brake lever go

6 repeat steps 1-5. What your looking for is no air bubbles in the line to come out. When there are no bubbles, your done. You want to make sure you keep the fluid topped off too, because if you inject air into it, it'll take longer to bleed out. When there are no more air bubbles, retorque the bleeder to spec then move to the other side, and do the same thing.

Now if you want to do a full flush, use a turkey baster and suck out all the brake fluid thats in the resivoir. Put in clean fluid and begin steps 1-5 above. This time wait for clean fluid to come out, and then make sure there are no bubbles. There usually aren't because you flushed out so much allready.

It took me about 10 min to do mine once the new lines were on. The ATE super blue race fluid is so pretty in the fluid resivoir

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

Mighty vac brake bleeders work very well. Can do a complete flush on front, rear brakes and clutch in about 15 min.

mighty vac

My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

Kid, we can bleed them this weekend, thanks to Degs, they are as easy as hell to bleed! So it will take us 10 minutes to do it an dyou will be all set!

You missed a good night of drinking by the way but oh well, we have all weekend!

Jamie

Lifer

Yah it looks brand new... what year is it?

None of the R1s look "old" yet.

Ben

Looks sweet man! I can help ya bleed the brakes anytime ya want, or we could take care of it up at the track on the 10th real easy like...

Where'd ya pick it up btw? Been thinkin of trying to find myself a good cheap salvage title Duc if I can find one anywhere...

Make sure you have double and triple checked everything for that state inspection (I have had one bike checked out and they went over it with a freakin fine tooth comb, and then another time they basically just checked the blinkers, the headlight and the brake light and passed me)

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Ohhhhh man that sweet.....

It's gotta be cool to have a twin and a 4 banger so you can choose depending on what your in the mood for.

No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of.

- Mike
    CBR 1000 RR
    CBR 600 F4

Project bike!!!

Great job Halfie'!!

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Originally posted by Mystery Squid
    Where can I get this stuff???
    http://www.bmpd.com/bmw/parts/catalog/brakes_5.shtml

Thats where I get mine, used it in the car before too so this was my 2nd order with them.

When I ordered this time, they sent the wrong fluid. DOH. BUT... They made it right; I kept the other DOT4 Pentosin fluid, and they shipped out the ATE Superblue at no additional cost, not even shipping

The ATE superblue is the real deal too:
    Dry boiling point of 536 deg. F, with a wet boiling point of 392 deg. F

Wow. That looks great! Do you have any pics of what she looked like before?

Lifer

You can also get the ATE super blue from Bavarian Autosport in Portsmouth NH. BAVAuto.com

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

WOW… Awesome bike.
    Looks really nice!

04 ZX-10R
    02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    68 Oldsmobile 442
    05 Tahoe

Hey did you see that cop RevHappy's Avatar

Re: R1 close to Street Legal!

doode we got to talk I've got the down low "literally" on the low end situation. A buddy of mine has the same set up as you on his RC and he went wacky with his gearing. I pulled on him in every gear with my 00 YZF R1. Just picture 3 gear power wheelies. If you build it they will come And If you havent change to a 180 rear tire do it and drop the front 8mm. And say hello to R6 like handling. Then get a dampner its save me oh cant count on 2 hands.... As far as the suspension my settings are all pretty stiff I could pass them along...Oh by the way SWEET BIKE!

and the power responce is like a whole different animal, I have to rev the piss out of it to get the power responce I get from my RC. I was up in the 7K range and still felt week compaired to my RC..

RevHappy's Website

2004 Titan Custom 1750cc
    2004 Honda Recon ES
    2003 Yamaha YZF R6
    4 Sale 6,500
    2001 KawasakiKDX 200

"I'll tell you what I tell my girl...Even a broken clock is right twice a day"

Originally posted by Mystery Squid
    Where can I get this stuff???

Also Available from Bavarian AutoSports in Portsmouth NH....They carry Blue & Gold fluid

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I do have before pics...

Oh & I did the ignition wiring today all by myself!! I tore apart the abortion that was there, trimmed the sheathing back twisted up the ends and saudered the wires together. I also thought ahead and ran the shrink tubing over the wires before! everything looks stock and is tied in rather strong!!! Real strong! SWEEEEEEEET!!!!

Here is a complete side view of damage, other side is mint!
    What we have is the front cowling, bar end, upper and lower side cowlings, case cover, frame dented, kickstand bent/wires torn, and the tail section is scuffed up beyond bondo repair!! Ingition wires were ripped apart because it was hot wired.

All the plastic was replaced with what I found on E-Bay, not new, but in great shape!! The case cover, kickstand, and bar endand clutch lever were raplaced with new OEM parts. I had the dent filled in a little with aluminum weld, the sanded it all down smooth, then proceeded to polish a good portion of the frame to make it look smooth and blended, then purchased the carbon fiber frame covers to really make it look dressed up and cover the polished area. If the inspection guy wants he can take off the carbon cover to see the frame, but I was told he will probably not, I am bringing the picks of before and after so they know what to look at, plus I have the list from the insurance appraiser of what is damaged..

www.tailofthedragon.com

Front cowl before.

You can see the ignition wiring in there as well. It was quickly tailed up with crimps to see if she ran first...

www.tailofthedragon.com

Closer side view.

www.tailofthedragon.com

Dent in Frame.

This is the main reason it was totaled, which I think is a complete joke! Such a minor ding.. I can hardley believe the the structual integredy of the frame would be effected by this little bugger...

The other reason I think the ins co may have pushed for it to be totaled, because they already paid the kid with the claim. Seems the bike was stolen and was not recovered till after the ins co paid off the claim... Possibly a scam??? Not that I care about that part, becasue it is totally my gain!!! Just a pain in the butt to get a reconstruction title. Thankfully I am getting a little help from the shop I purchased the bike from , which happen to be friends!!!

www.tailofthedragon.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast