Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

need help from fellow riders

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

need help from fellow riders

A week ago I was pulled over on 128 for lane sharing (white lining, lane splitting, ect) during bumper to bumper traffic. After this I decided not to do it any more as the last thing I need is another ticket. Yesterday, however, I was stuck in traffic and was startled by the sound of screeching tires behind me. When I looked to my side a Nissan quest had stopped in a fog of tire smoke about two feet from me narrowly avoiding killing me and hitting the car in front of me. The woman then put down her cell phone (go figure!). I have decided to start an online petition to legalize the practice of lane sharing in Massachusetts to avoid similar attempts on my life as well as those of our fellow riders. I humble ask for your support. I hope this does not violate any forum rules but I felt this was a vital issue to those who ride. The link is below

Legalization of Lane Sharing in the State of Massachusetts - The Petition Site

Laneshare.org has also picked this up and put it on their mass page and if you would like more info on the practice and why it is needed please visit them. Any help you guys could give would be greatly appriciated. ride safe!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: need help from fellow riders

As much as Id love it, good luck, will never happen. Massachusetts doesnt care about motorcycles, just look at the parking laws for examples why I feel this way

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

1st post?

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I Signed, but face it, it's Mass We have hundreds of thousands of laws protecting the assholes out there but no laws to help motorcyclists...go figure.

I signed it...Mass should look to Cal as a model. This is an excellent idea. Stop all your whinning and sign it. Fak...worst case nothing happens.

REDVT...you should contact AMA as well. Thats what they do...lobby for/or against laws that impact motorcyclists.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

The extent of Massachusetts caring about Motorcyclists are the signs they put up telling Motorcyclists to be careful because of the highway pavement work...though I would love to see lane sharing for non idiot riders, this will probably not happen because of those idiot riders who will take advantage of it and do stupid stuff.

btw. I still signed it...but it feels like those spam emails telling me to do something or else I die a terrible death.

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    1st post?
    True. At least it's not talking about some dealership experience though.

White Lining, eh? Brings me back...old school...

YouTube - Grandmaster Flash - White Lines

Duct tape is like "The Force". It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

I think in the future if people are trying to pull this sort of move, they should emphasize the fact that some of us wear gear, however, when you're facing the prospect of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on a 90 degree summer day, the thought of gear goes out the window, and the possibility of serious injury skyrockets.
    For instance, I always wear m y gear, personal choice, but when I used to go to school nights, sitting on 114 for 1/2 hour straight led me to ride without gear a number of times so I wouldnt get heat stroke. If splitting were legal, I would be MUCH more inclined to still wear gear just to get some wind blowing.

Just another point to bring up.

Zip Tie Alley #505

After sitting in absurd traffic on 95 but a few moments ago, I want lane sharing to be legal. Signed.

Last edited by schleppy; 05-14-08 at 10:28 AM.

I signed it. Do it all the time... been lucky I guess.
    and never been caught.
    I keep an eagle eye for the tell tale signs of a weeble.

Remember they may wobble but they dont fall down!

2008 Honda CBR 600RR

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I think in the future if people are trying to pull this sort of move, they should emphasize the fact that some of us wear gear, however, when you're facing the prospect of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on a 90 degree summer day, the thought of gear goes out the window, and the possibility of serious injury skyrockets.
    For instance, I always wear m y gear, personal choice, but when I used to go to school nights, sitting on 114 for 1/2 hour straight led me to ride without gear a number of times so I wouldnt get heat stroke. If splitting were legal, I would be MUCH more inclined to still wear gear just to get some wind blowing.

Just another point to bring up.
    True, but gear won't keep your ass from being jammed up and out your mouth when you get plowed in the rear by some unattentive driver while at a dead stop.

I said plowed in the rear.

Duct tape is like "The Force". It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Well thats the point I make, its just another benefit to lane sharing. More people might be apt to wear gear they'd usually leave at home for fear of heat stroke.
    And why is it the second I start talking about being wrapped in leather I start getting comments about being plowed in the rear?

Zip Tie Alley #505

What chicken strip??????? NEWTREADS's Avatar

Will this prompt cagers to want to share our space? I dont know how many times I've glanced over at a stop or in slow traffic to see the front end of some dumbass that is about a foot away from my knee.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Spam or not, someone is trying to do something that I agree with, so I signed it. Worse case scenario...nothing happens.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Worst case is Identity theft and a computer virus..

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Worst case is Identity theft and a computer virus..
    My name as I putted it in, is not valid. You could not find anything on me, anywhere, with it. I also didn't put my street address, I just entered "00" and another street. I also entered the alternate email address I use for stuff like that, where I NEVER open any unknown messages. I am well aware of the risks of identity theft.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Quote Originally Posted by Bowflex View Post
    it's Mass We have hundreds of thousands of laws protecting the assholes
    is that why your massholes

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Well thats the point I make, its just another benefit to lane sharing. More people might be apt to wear gear they'd usually leave at home for fear of heat stroke.
    And why is it the second I start talking about being wrapped in leather I start getting comments about being plowed in the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    I signed it...Mass should look to Cal as a model. This is an excellent idea.

Driving out in CA I noticed people actually gave motorcyclists more courtesy on the road, like leaving extra room and allowing them to pass.

I got a lot of waves from bikers in my car just by giving them room to split lanes.

I think its a good idea, but if the law passed it would take awhile for everyone to adjust around here.

Cagers already think sport bikes are evil in MA.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Lane-sharing fucking rules. Whenever I move back to MA I'm going to totally miss that aspect of CA riding. For sure one of the reasons that so many more people use motorcycles to get around in CA. I can't tell you how much quicker you can navigate around the City (SF) on a bike compared to car, and not riding like a asshole either. Just being able to lane-share up to the front of all stoplights for instance takes so much time off your trip. Not to mention getting stuck in traffic on the freeway and just lane-sharing your way along.

My father was just out here this weekend and we had to lane-share a bit on the freeway. He was amazed that the cars actually move over for you (most, not all...) and just the overall better motorcycle culture in the Bay Area.

I have heard that more States are looking at CA's lane-sharing data and looking to adopt the practice themselves. It *is* safer and makes motorcycling a much more practical options. With gas and pollution factors mixed in... more bikes the better.

-alex

Boston --> San Diego

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Lane-sharing fucking rules. Whenever I move back to MA I'm going to totally miss that aspect of CA riding. For sure one of the reasons that so many more people use motorcycles to get around in CA. I can't tell you how much quicker you can navigate around the City (SF) on a bike compared to car, and not riding like a asshole either. Just being able to lane-share up to the front of all stoplights for instance takes so much time off your trip. Not to mention getting stuck in traffic on the freeway and just lane-sharing your way along.

My father was just out here this weekend and we had to lane-share a bit on the freeway. He was amazed that the cars actually move over for you (most, not all...) and just the overall better motorcycle culture in the Bay Area.

I have heard that more States are looking at CA's lane-sharing data and looking to adopt the practice themselves. It *is* safer and makes motorcycling a much more practical options. With gas and pollution factors mixed in... more bikes the better.

-alex
    very cool

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

I dont think MA will ever allow lane splitting/sharing.

Fucking spammers! "...if it wasn't for that meddling Doc, no one would have ever busted my spamming ass." - REDVTRGUY'SSCREENNAME

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast