Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Non-ethanol gas -- what stations have it?

Non-ethanol gas -- what stations have it?

I've been noticing lately that gas doesn't even smell like gas anymore -- smells kind of skunky -- and my Triumph (air-cooled twin) has been running worse, especially when cold, for the past year or so. I suspect strongly that the shitty gas they're selling us these days is responsible.

Next time I have to fill up I'm going to a station up in Mallett's Bay that has non-ethanol gas. But that's the only station I know of that has it.

Let's start a list here of stations that carry the real stuff. Include the state, town, brand of gas, and specific location.

--mark

UPDATE July 2011: Non-ethanol gas disappeared over the winter, but most of the stations that previously had it now have it back, but only in the premium grade.

VERMONT
    Burlington area
    Mallett's Bay, Maverick, across from Mazza's General Store

Essex
    GoGo Gas, Suzie Wilson Rd
    Maverick past the Rt 15/Rt 128 intersection (on the north side of Rt 15)

Huntington
    Beaudry's

Milton
    Rene's Gas on Rt 7
    The Dam Store, also on Rt 7

Vergennes
    GoGo Gas on Rt 22a

West Addison
    West Addison General Store (last gas station before the former Champlain Bridge, now ferry)

Bridport
    Pratt's Store, Rt 22A (unconfirmed)

Newport
    Troy Country Store on Rt 100 (high-priced though)

Brandon
    Station on Rt 7 in the middle of town

Wallingford/Danby
    White's fuel stop

Elmore
    The Elmore Store

Hardwick
    There's a station on Rt 15 in the middle of town that has a non-ethanol sign, but it's been closed every time I've ridden past

Johnson
    Maverick on Rt 15 by the grocery store

Morrisville
    Palmer's

East Berkshire
    Maverick on the corner of Rt 105 and Rt 118

Vershire
    Ward's Garage, Rt 113 and Goose Green Rd

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by markbvt; 07-15-11 at 10:41 AM.

Re: Non-ethanol gas -- what stations have it?

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    I've been noticing lately that gas doesn't even smell like gas anymore -- smells kind of skunky -- and my Triumph (air-cooled twin) has been running worse, especially when cold, for the past year or so. I suspect strongly that the shitty gas they're selling us these days is responsible.

Next time I have to fill up I'm going to a station up in Mallett's Bay that has non-ethanol gas. But that's the only station I know of that has it.

Let's start a list here of stations that carry the real stuff. Include the state, town, brand of gas, and specific location.

--mark

VERMONT
    Burlington area
    Mallett's Bay, across from Mazza's General Store, not sure of the brand but I'll update later.

The 'new' gas also fucks up carbs faster than you can say BOO. Are you sure you're also don't need a good cleaning? I also use Stabil in my tank.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Well I'm not from BTV anymore so I'm out of the loop. Not sure if Mobil does or not...but I did get mobil gas last week and the station is supplied by champlain oil co.

It was so nasty, greenish yellow in color and stunk.

Ethanol blended or not, I notice my bike runs like crap with 91 in it...and it seems as if many mobils and some others nowadays, don't even carry 93 anymore. Some do, here and there, but not many.

I try to stick with Shell when I can. It still has ethanol but it doesn't stink, still resembles "gas" and you can get 93 at every station, that I have been to.

Sunoco might be another good bet. Not sure if they are ethanol blended or not.

Oh and for the people running ethanol blend...winter is coming, if you run blended gas in your cages / snowmobiles, do NOT add drygas. Molten metal in the crank isn't something you want to experience.

--mark

VERMONT
    Burlington area
    Mallett's Bay, across from Mazza's General Store, not sure of the brand but I'll update later.
    The Colchester one and the Go Go in Winooski.. But you can kiss that goodbye. Fed mandate to have 10% I believe by the end of Aug!!
    I was having problems running real rough stalling. Vix was stalling in 3rd gear.
    I put in Lucas oil fuel treatment. It allows the water to dissipate that the Ethanol is drawing in and reduces the O2.
    Cleaned it right up!!

Funny thing is, that when the ethanol is added, you can actually get away with higher comp ratios, and the latent heat of evaporization is a tad higher, so build you engines to run the ethanol efficiently, instead of fighting it.
    The ability of it running cooler should give you some hints....

EDIT..... Because the BTU rating of ethanol is less than gasoline, you have to run more fuel thru the engine to compensate for it. Rejetting is at hand, and your fuel economy goes down.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TLRMan; 08-25-08 at 01:07 PM.
    Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    ...mobils and some others nowadays, don't even carry 93 anymore. Some do, here and there, but not many.

I try to stick with Shell when I can. It still has ethanol but it doesn't stink, still resembles "gas" and you can get 93 at every station, that I have been to.

Sunoco might be another good bet. Not sure if they are ethanol blended or not.

All gas stations get their gas from the same distribution terminals. Meaning, all gas arrives in port on a ship, not a Shell ship, or a Sunoco ship, just a ship. The terminal then distributes the gas to wholesalers i.e., the trucking companies that deliver the gas to retail locations. The reason why gas prices are higher for certain brands is due to the amount of profit the wholesale distributors choose to make for that particular brand. That is the ONLY difference in the fuel. The chemical compounds are the same regardless. I believe Ethanol gas is federal mandate, just because a station doesn't advertise that they sell Ethanol, doesn't mean they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicknStripEatr View Post
    I believe Ethanol gas is federal mandate, just because a station doesn't advertise that they sell Ethanol, doesn't mean they don't.
    The gas station I mentioned above has a sign that specifically says that their fuel is non-ethanol.

Quote Originally Posted by TLRMan
    so build you engines to run the ethanol efficiently, instead of fighting it
    I didn't build the engine, nor do I have any intention of rebuilding it. It pisses me off that it's soon to be impossible to get the fuel for which my favorite bike's engine was designed. Fucking politicians.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by TLRMan View Post
    Funny thing is, that when the ethanol is added, you can actually get away with higher comp ratios, and the latent heat of evaporization is a tad higher, so build you engines to run the ethanol efficiently, instead of fighting it.
    The ability of it running cooler should give you some hints....

EDIT..... Because the BTU rating of ethanol is less than gasoline, you have to run more fuel thru the engine to compensate for it. Rejetting is at hand, and your fuel economy goes down.
    Yes if you were to run just straight Eth you could tune to run it. But our veh today are not set up for it. Also the duration of time setting in your tank (not set up to store moisture free) causes the issues at hand.
    If you were running an old school 4 barrel you would change your jets and timing for this application.

Hmmm, personally I haven't seen a station in about a year that doesn't have that little sticker saying its gas has 10% ethanol. That's cool that you know of a place that still carries gasoline.

All gas stations get their gas from the same distribution terminals. Meaning, all gas arrives in port on a ship, not a Shell ship, or a Sunoco ship, just a ship. The terminal then distributes the gas to wholesalers i.e., the trucking companies that deliver the gas to retail locations. The reason why gas prices are higher for certain brands is due to the amount of profit the wholesale distributors choose to make for that particular brand. That is the ONLY difference in the fuel. The chemical compounds are the same regardless. I believe Ethanol gas is federal mandate, just because a station doesn't advertise that they sell Ethanol, doesn't mean they don't.
    We don't import our gas on one ship. We get crude oil from all over Ven, middle east... We have refineries all over the country. Yes there are a few companies such as Mobile who sell to others, but there is more than one.
    I just bought 110 Oct race fuel at $10.50 a gallon. That is not made by Exxon.. Yes these Ethanol free pumps advertise they do not.

The gas station I mentioned above has a sign that specifically says that their fuel is non-ethanol.

I didn't build the engine, nor do I have any intention of rebuilding it. It pisses me off that it's soon to be impossible to get the fuel for which my favorite bike's engine was designed. Fucking politicians.

--mark
    What I don't get is that the fuel companies are cutting the gas like a cheap coke dealer and we are still paying more for fuel due to the cost of oil... Not freakin corn!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
    Yes if you were to run just straight Eth you could tune to run it. But our veh today are not set up for it. Also the duration of time setting in your tank (not set up to store moisture free) causes the issues at hand.
    If you were running an old school 4 barrel you would change your jets and timing for this application.

Hmmmm.... my bike never sits that long, and it doesn't need to be an old school 4 barrel...This is why I said build your engine to handle it....
    Ethanol was never considered a fuel alternative, but an additive. I know there are some smart boys out there....

Last edited by TLRMan; 08-25-08 at 01:36 PM.

I'm wondering in the ethenol is what is causeing my gas tank to pressurize and spill out of the gas cap. My triumph has a plastic tank, and I've never had a problem like this with any other bike i've owned. But it sucks!!!

08 Ape RSV1000R
    09 Ram 1500 Black Big Horn
    10 Mini Cooper S sleeper (hers)

Hmmmm.... my bike never sits that long, and it doesn't need to be an old school 4 barrel...This is why I said build you engine to handle it....
    Ethanol was never considered a fuel alternative, but an additive. I know there are some smart boys out there....
    I built a Hydrogen generator and using the Lucas..Works great!!

Make the hydrogen out of the water the ethanol captures!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
    What I don't get is that the fuel companies are cutting the gas like a cheap coke dealer and we are still paying more for fuel due to the cost of oil... Not freakin corn!!
    The ethanol isn't significantly cheaper than gasoline. The shit is expensive to make, and what's more, demand for ethanol is driving up the cost of corn. And corn isn't even a good choice of grain to use for ethanol production -- it's much more efficiently made from sugar cane and a variety of other plants.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphdog View Post
    I'm wondering in the ethenol is what is causeing my gas tank to pressurize and spill out of the gas cap. My triumph has a plastic tank, and I've never had a problem like this with any other bike i've owned. But it sucks!!!

Clogged gas tank vent.

--mark

The reason why gas prices are higher for certain brands is due to the amount of profit the wholesale distributors choose to make for that particular brand. That is the ONLY difference in the fuel.
    Fail.

The "Name Brand" companies add different types of additives/detergents. You pay more for "Top Tier" gas.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Fail.

The "Name Brand" companies add different types of additives/detergents. You pay more for "Top Tier" gas.
    Naw.... The names have changed, but it's the same old gas....

The TV tells me otherwise though!

Make the hydrogen out of the water the ethanol captures!
    AWESOME..... that sounds like a winner there.... maybe a fuel water seperator....

there was some stuff in the news a while ago about eth/gas being a pain for most small engines. wish i had read about it now tho.

All gas stations get their gas from the same distribution terminals. Meaning, all gas arrives in port on a ship, not a Shell ship, or a Sunoco ship, just a ship. The terminal then distributes the gas to wholesalers i.e., the trucking companies that deliver the gas to retail locations. The reason why gas prices are higher for certain brands is due to the amount of profit the wholesale distributors choose to make for that particular brand. That is the ONLY difference in the fuel. The chemical compounds are the same regardless.
    so.... your saying that Moblie gas is the exact same stuff as cumby's and were all retarded for buying what we THOUGHT to be a better cleaner fuel and paying more? i think that math might be broken....

04 Katana 600
    - color matched wind screen
    - Vance and Hines Slip on
    - Dynojet Stage 1 jet kit
    - Factory Pro Ignition Advancer
    - down one on front Sprocket
    - up 2 on the rear Sprocket

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    The TV tells me otherwise though!
    Just joshing....

The gas may start out the same, but different stations may add different levels of additives (like Chevron stations add Techron) so while the beginning product is usually the same, the end products may differ.

a lot of the stations around here, have their fuel picked up at the same terminal, just different names on the trucks...

Just joshing....
    Me too

I buy my gas at Haffners, It KICKS!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast