Crown Vic Spark Plugs

Crown Vic Spark Plugs

So I'm changing the spark plugs on a 2000 Ford Crown Vic with the 4.6 in it. I ran into a little trouble in the process of changing them. There are coils on top of the plugs and then there is a rail on top of the coils. Does anybody know what this rail is for and how to remove it. I just don't want to yank on it too hard and end up breaking something. I'm trying to find a picture to help out what I'm trying to describe. Has anybody changed plugs on a crown vic before?

0 Not allowed!

Re: Crown Vic Spark Plugs

Quote Originally Posted by rwc0920 View Post
    So I'm changing the spark plugs on a 2000 Ford Crown Vic with the 4.6 in it. I ran into a little trouble in the process of changing them. There are coils on top of the plugs and then there is a rail on top of the coils. Does anybody know what this rail is for and how to remove it. I just don't want to yank on it too hard and end up breaking something. I'm trying to find a picture to help out what I'm trying to describe. Has anybody changed plugs on a crown vic before?
    do not pull on or remove that rail - it's the fuel injector rail.

use a 7MM socket to loosen the bolt holding the coil pack down, then pull the coil pack out. remove the old plug and install the new one as usual.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by drop View Post

use a 7MM socket to loosen the bolt holding the coil pack down, then pull the coil pack out. remove the old plug and install the new one as usual.
    those rails are huge money!

0 Not allowed!

Clean the boots real well and use dialetric grease on both ends

0 Not allowed!

I get a kick out of the manufacturers telling consumers 100000 miles between tune-ups. Ever try taking plugs out of a engine with that kind of mileage or more if they put it off. Good luck. Reinstall with anti-seize with a torque wrench at 14 ft lbs.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    I get a kick out of the manufacturers telling consumers 100000 miles between tune-ups. Ever try taking plugs out of a engine with that kind of mileage or more if they put it off. Good luck. Reinstall with anti-seize with a torque wrench at 14 ft lbs.
    They do their testing and qualifications in a dyno cell, and take the plugs out for measurements every 10k miles or so. Fast forward to the poor bastard that lives in New England and drives the car in the winter - and believes he doesn't need to touch them for 5 years... Aluminum head, steel plug, light spray of salt water, heat and cooling cycles - sometimes it's better then welding the damn things in. There's a reason there is a special tool (specifically sized EZ out) made to remove the snapped plugs out of the head on Fords...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by SSearchVT; 07-28-09 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drop View Post

Ok, I'll try it out again. Last time I tried, it didn't seem like there was too much room between the coils and the rail. It didn't look like it could be pulled out without removing the rail. But I'll give it another shot. Ill take some pictures and post them so you guys can get a better look.

0 Not allowed!

I like my cool old bike. Ericthejet's Avatar

The domestic manufactures really promoted this feature a few years back.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rwc0920 View Post
    Ok, I'll try it out again. Last time I tried, it didn't seem like there was too much room between the coils and the rail. It didn't look like it could be pulled out without removing the rail. But I'll give it another shot. Ill take some pictures and post them so you guys can get a better look.
    I'm guessing the Crown Vic 4.6 is setup like my Mustang 4.6... that being the case you can do the plugs without removing the fuel rail... have done it twice now... once for maintanence... again for Nitrous

0 Not allowed!

haha i do those at work, A LOT. Its super easy, if the boot gets stuck in the cylinder head (which more then likely it will) use needle nose pliers and pull em out, dont rip em either.

If you need a boot or 2 let me know i might be able to gather some up for you.

0 Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Funny I think the same way. Are you my twin?

The Parts departments always ask "well how many miles are on the car?" Like it matters. Do you want the $ for the 4 spark plugs or not. It sure beats having to pull the engine apart because of a frozen plug. If I can pay a little $ now it is going to save a lot of money later.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post
    haha i do those at work, A LOT. Its super easy, if the boot gets stuck in the cylinder head (which more then likely it will) use needle nose pliers and pull em out, dont rip em either.

If you need a boot or 2 let me know i might be able to gather some up for you.
    alright will do. thanks.

0 Not allowed!