Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

4 wheeler for plow duty?

4 wheeler for plow duty?

Anyone use a 4 wheeler for plowing ?
    pros / cons?

I am currently using a lawn tractor with a plow blade on it , and its okay for lite fluffy stuff or up to about 3'' of heavy stuff but useless beyond that . going up to a 4x4 four wheeler would definately give me more pushing power .

Biggest problem is that the driveway has a pretty good incline to it and is long so I have a lot of snow to move around

I'm thinking 450cc or bigger
    I can't justify the cost of a front bucket tractor as I don;t have a big use for it around the property other than snow removal but I could haul firewood out of the woods with a small trailer and a 4 wheeler and the cost of paying a guy to plow would pay for a 4 wheeler in a few seasons . Plus its a 4 wheeler so it has toy potential as well .

I guess the big question is will it be that much of an improvement over the lawn tractor with the small plow on it ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Re: 4 wheeler for plow duty?

OOOPS i wanted to post this in the general forum not the marketplace,

if a mod wants it moved thats fine by me .

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Instinct: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

Get one with a winch. the hand activated ones can be a PITA sometimes...like when snow sticks to them. they are pretty easy to install

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I've got an 04 Yamaha Kodiak 400 and I'm amazed at how well it plows. I've plowed over a foot at once last season with no troubles.
    If you've managed this long with your long tractor, you'll have no troubles with pretty much any sized 4x4 quad, and you'll probably cut your plow time in half.
    The key thing IMO is getting a good quality plow. I have a heavy duty Moose plow on mine with a 50" blade with a 5 possition angle. Takes 3 or 4 minutes to hook it up to the quad and I can reach the pins without laying on the ground. An electric winch to raise and lower the plow is also a big time saver, not needed but again, saves time. Speed is your friend when plowing, the faster you go with the plow angled, the farther you'll push the snow.
    My driveway is similar in length to yours but not a huge hill and it takes me 20 minutes to plow my driveway and the side road down to my shed and woodpile.

The only disadvantage I see is if you have a real snowy winter and little mid season melting, is you can only push the snow back so far with a quad. As the season gets longer, your driveway will get narrower and narrower.

Last edited by R7; 12-10-09 at 10:04 PM.
    Yamaha

Lifer

Sean, I would recommend the winch as well. I bought a 2000 Grizzly a few years ago, in the middle of winter. Within 10 minutes of taking delivery of it, I had it high centered on top of the snow with all 4 wheels off of the ground. The quad had a winch already installed on it. I spooled out the 50' cable....and could not reach a single tree! I was smack dab in the middle of a halfway developed construction site!
    I tried to lift the back end of the quad, and my feet just sank into the snow. I had to walk home and get a rope, but the winch eventually did come in plenty handy. I had fun getting stuck 3 more times on the way home. All of this took place during the biggest snow storm of that year. We had something like 18" of accumulation from it, on top of a foot deep base.
    Quads are a lot of fun, but take it from me, when you roll one, for some reason they tend to follow you more than bikes do....
    Greg

do your lawn tractor tires have studs?

I second the Kodiak 400.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    do your lawn tractor tires have studs?
    No, chains and wheel weights on the rear only

its the fact that its only 2 wheel drive that gives me issue with pushing the snow

I was thinking of something along these lines
    used.

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/1498898247.html

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

i dont think the kodiak 400 has low range, but i know the 450 does.

i'd want low range and chains for all 4 tires, then even better would be front and rear winches. this is how i have a 2000 grizz set up (along with a 5' county plow).

what elevation are you at? how much snow do you get a year?

if you get 2-5' a year it should be fine if you get 12'+ a year a tractor with a snowblower and a bucket would be a better choice.

jim

"Molon labe"

central mass , a few feet a year , I have been managing the last 5 winters with a 31'' 11hp snow blower and my lawn tractor with the plow,, if we get dumpped on I go out first with the blower to get the bulk of it moved, then go back to clean it up with the plow , also use the blower for walk ways around the house and a path up back to the wood pile.

so If mid season the driveway gets narrow , I run down both sides with the blower to widen it.

As for the tractor , I can;t justify a 15,000 - 20,000 purchase for a 4x4 compact unit , plus I don;t want to leave it exposed to the elements and would need to get a shed for it which adds to the price tag, I can probably move a few things around the garage and fit the 4 wheeler in there.

the plus side is I can use the plow on the 4 wheeler to plow out an ice track on a lake to ride the bikes on .

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

You're trying to compare a 2WD lawn tractor to a 4WD ATV for plowing, right? If you're 2WD tractor has been handling it, then a 4x4 ATV is gonna do it that much better and quicker and probably add a ton of fun-factor to it. Of course, you've already mastered snow placement and you have your routine down. So you've already figured it out where to put it, how to get it there, etc...

Pros? Speed. Getting the job done quickly is a big factor to me. With my situation, it also allows me to clear closer to the ground. You having a paved driveway may not have that problem. You already know the fun-factor...

The biggest con for me is where to put the snow. As you know, we're kinda limited on where to put it all. By the end of these last few winters, we were seriously running outta room out back, across the street, on the lawn, etc. The last few storms I hadta snowblow 'cuz we had no where left to put it...

If you go with a winch set-up for your plow, you're gonna wreak havoc on ANY battery you use. Although now they have electric actuators that draw far less off your battery and you'd save on the wear & tear of your winch. You could also get a manual lift for the plow set-up. Some like it one way, some another. And you'll never get one side to agree with the other. Either way, you're gonna want a winch. Trust me, you'll end up needing it. Most come preinstalled anyway now...

I'd shoot for something in the 600 & up range though. The only downfall to that is most of 'em all come with CVT's now - no 'gearbox' per se. I think Honda still has a conventional tranny, but those are electric shift. Other than that, I wish we didn't get Big Shirl one so I coulda gotten a bigger one. There's been a coupla times where my 400 struggled...

The ideal set-up for me would be wunna those ATV-mounted snowblowers...

But I guess in answer to your question, "the big question is will it be that much of an improvement over the lawn tractor with the small plow on it ?" would be, yes...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
    I was thinking of something along these lines
    used.

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/1498898247.html
    That guy's outta his mind! I'd tell him to put the stock tires/wheels back on and give him $4000...

Check out Plowsite.com . They have and ATV section and a quick search will yield you tons of info.

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

I used a Honda TRX300 with a Moose County 60" blade for years to clean my driveway which is twice the size of yours with a steeper hill. I also get a lot of snow. If your tractor has handles everything so far you will not have any problem with an ATV.

I would recommend getting a Moose plow. They are built well.

I am a bit out of your way,but I do have that four wheeler that I used for sale. It does not have a plow on it right now but could put one on it.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

i got a 'zuki king quad 700 with a moose plow. works good. i got sick of sitting in the snow and got a plow truck. i still use the quad to clear a path to the wood pile etc..

Quote Originally Posted by mycirus View Post
    Check out Plowsite.com . They have and ATV section and a quick search will yield you tons of info.

A lot of ATV message boards have plow areas too...

Have you tried filling your tires with water and antifreeze ? and chains

M<y neighbor uses a big kawi quad
    he drives around his hill and then plows down the slope

Last edited by richw; 12-11-09 at 07:51 AM.
    Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Sean, you're gonna get ten-hundred-and-eighty-four answers on what to get. But if/when I do it again, I'd go...

600 or larger
    4x4, hi & low range, locking diff
    winch
    60" poly plow w/ metal scraper
    (if I had the cake, I'd get a snowblower attachment instead)
    FIVE position angle plow frame
    quick release plow frame that doesn't sacrifice clearance
    electric plow actuator

Your plow set-ups are almost limitless. Again, everyone's gonna think they have the best set-up. I'm running similar to that list, although mine's 'only' a 400. I've got the Arctic Cat plow set-up, but I think it's all rebadged Warn stuff. I'd stick with Warn if/when I do it all again...

Also if/when I do it again, Arctic Cat would still be at the top of my list. Cat's for ruggedness and work duties and take absolute punishment on the trails. However, the Grizzly (non-power steering please) is a close second. For what it's worth, I'd NEVER by a Polaris or Can-Am for work or play. I go for ground clearance, gas capacity, locking diff, rack system with ease of use and selection of machine specific attachments...

If you got your mind set on new, yeah, FEL is out of range.

If you don't mind used, and used on a diesel tractor doesn't mean much, then $10k gets you a lot these days. 4wd, bucket loader, usually some attachments, etc

I have a 12ft plow on the front of my '61 International Harvester. Cost me $86 in maintenance over the 2 years I've had it. Since it's 2wd and really old, it ran me $4500 to buy it as it's setup now.

Can only imagine how long it would take in a quad, if it was even possible for me. Don't think so.

My tractor sits outside uncovered.

It's made for it.

As a bonus, they very rarely drop in value past the $10k mark. You should be able to buy one, use it for 5-10 years, then sell it for the sale price you paid.

Last edited by TheIglu; 12-11-09 at 10:26 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
    the plus side is I can use the plow on the 4 wheeler to plow out an ice track on a lake to ride the bikes on .

awesome! I'm sold.

I'm looking forward to the picture thread

Get a Snow Blower!

Cheaper.

I want a 4 wheeler plow but my driveway is not long enough to justify it to the wife and the snowblower I have is over kill for my little driveway as it is. (But it sure as hell helps when the fucking street plow guy cements the end of my driveway with that thick heavy slushy stuff!)

Last edited by Doc; 12-12-09 at 09:39 AM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Posting Freak

I would not want chains on the tires if i didnt need them. It just seems like a good way to chunk up a nice driveway. I'm just thinking of my own driveway where i have two elevation changes and one midcorner (ya the builder effed up i know). My friend can plow it with a 500 4x4 quad.

Also look into a beater truck, one you wont register or insure it's just used for plowing and that's it's only duty.

2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Ebony Edition
    Miles my first (this) season: 5800
    KAWASAKI RULES WOOOOO!

One very important thing, Sean is to make sure the plow when at full angle will still clear a path wider than the ATV...

Also, not sure if it's the way you'd wanna go. But my dad is toying with selling his '94 GMC Sierra Z71 w/ Fisher Minute Mount 8' plow. He just had a shitload of stuff done to it...

[QUOTE=Doc;834625]Get a Snow Blower!

Cheaper.

I have one, its a 31'' cut 11hp and takes for ever to do my driveway

175' long X 12' wide opens up to a 2 car garage plus the turn around can fit 5 cars

that was what I used for the first season before I added a plow to the riding mower. still use it for the walks and such . But very time consuming , the last thing I want to do is spend time moving snow after a 12 HR day at work

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by Stegosaurous View Post

Also look into a beater truck, one you wont register or insure it's just used for plowing and that's it's only duty.

this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast