Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

K7 GSXR-1000 Engine Problems

K7 GSXR-1000 Engine Problems

Hey guys, I have an 07 GSXR 1000 with just under 5900 miles on it. The oil has been changed regularly, and I just completed a beginning of the season change 350 miles ago using suzuki 10W-40 synthetic and a suzuki filter. After letting the bike warm up leaving a restaurant on saturday night, I filled up with premium at a shell station and got on the highway for 24 miles. When I was slowing down and on the off ramp, I heard what sounded like a ticking noise coming from the head area. I pulled over to investigate, and determined that I didnt have much choice and rode the last 10 minutes back to school (it was midnight). The ticking continued and was present whether the engine was under a load or not. I shut the it off and went out Sunday to look at it. When I started it up the ticking was there but it made a slightly worse noise (kind of a knock) so I quickly shut it off. A buddy of mine came to look at it before we trailered it back home and I started it for him. It sounded really bad, sputtering, ticking and a knock noise so we shut it off. Now at home, it wont even turn over and is locked up tight. I have not drained the oil yet, but couldnt see any metal in the sight glass. Im assuming the automatic cam chain tensioner failed, it skipped timing and smashed the shit out of itself? Also, it was not overheating (running at around 185) and it has plenty of oil in it. Where do I even start? I know the warranty is no longer valid but is there any chance of suzuki stepping up to do anything? Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give most of the details.
    Thanks for any help,
    Justin

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2006 KTM 560 SMR STREET LEGAL (sold)
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 (sold and missed)
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (BLOWN UP)
    2008 Honda CBR 1000RR

Re: K7 GSXR-1000 Engine Problems

The oil level was fine even after all this occurred?

Before you do any work you should check with Suzuki to see if they will help you. If not, then you can start by removing engine covers to investigate....valve cover as well as the stator and clutch covers.

Unless it was a left over the warrantee is toast

If i guess I think you dropped a valve

www.ebay.motors.com

yes, oil level is still fine. i am planning on trying to contact suzuki just for kicks, as its pretty discouraging to have something like this happen on a bike that is so well taken care of. makes me regret getting rid of my 07 600.

2008 Honda CBR 1000RR

NO!!!! My old bike?? I hope it's nothing too serious, let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with Suzuki, I bought it new from the local dealer here (not sure if they would do anything to help or not).
    Chris

Thanks Chris, I was thinking about giving you a call or shooting you an email after I get in touch with Suzuki. Hows the 600 build coming?

2008 Honda CBR 1000RR

Gixxers are known to have that ticking noise you described. It's usually pretty bad when the bike is cold but goes away once it gets up to temp. Does it on my 750. When I first bought it I thought something was wrong but after doing a little searching on squid.com (gixxer.com) I found out that it was normal.

As far as calling Suzuki, I'd call them. I had a situation that happened with my Suzuki a year after I bought it. Suzuki Corp ended up paying for half of the cost of the repair.

maybe you'll get lucky and only need a manual timing chain tensioner.

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

if it was the cct you are screwed. i would remove the tensioner and check it out. see if you can push it in by hand. how do you know the engine is stuck?

I immediately thought cam chain tensioner as I read your post, then as you said it got worse, sputtered, then locked...I'm pretty convinced unfortunately. The hydraulic OEM tensioner can fail pretty easily, but are most prone to it on high RPM decel, the tensioner keeps the chain tight as you accel, but then it backs out a little as the oil pressure drops on decel. It backs out when it shouldn't and that allows slack in the chain and you're timing is then off. It can back out enough to allow the engine to grenade.

I've got just under 14,000 miles and haven't had a problem but I've read about enough of them...it makes me nervous though. The manual chain tensioner is a pretty cheap insurance policy @ $51.65. I think I'll be ordering one real soon.

http://www.gsxrzone.com/sprockets.html

You might not find much in the oil. But hopefully the damage is minor, my other thought is maybe something came lose in the head. I'd start with popping the valve cover off to have a look.

The ticking noise Billy mentions I don't think happens on the 1k, mine is an 07 as well and it never makes that sound. My 01 750 use to snap crackle and pop as it was idling, warming up or cooling down after a ride. 600's and 750's do that a lot, but I've never heard the 1k do it. Mine or anyone elses.

<---Thats a nice A$$! EFD 05 1K's Avatar

Thats what we are leaning towards now is the cct. i went down to get his bike for him and bring it home. we know the motor is locked up because when we hit the starter button the starter just clicks and wont move. we then tried putting it in 6th and pushing it which should turn the motor over, but that only made the tire skid...and there were 3 of us pushing on it. my 750 does the same ticking when its cold and his 07 600 did it as well. im thinking on decel he jumped time a bit and wacked a valve, when he continued home it stayed in that off timing and ran. when he started it the next day it must have jumped timing even more because of the slack in the chain and caused it to hit another valve. i believe it is locked up now due to one valve opening while another valve is closing causing it to jam against a piston locking the motor up. im hoping he gets off his lazy ass so we can take it apart soon..

05 Gsxr 1k Black/Silver, Yosh pipe, 8k HIDs, a very big grin

yeah gixxa750 basically summed it up. also, called suzuki a couple of days ago, they dont care at all. basically, its out of warranty and thats all they see.

2008 Honda CBR 1000RR

so what im getting at is... time for an 08/09 cbr?

2008 Honda CBR 1000RR

I found this on my K3 750 and also heard it happening on 2011 GSXRs.

Have a look and see what you think. From what im reading on forums this could be happening to a lot of GSXRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpqlDvMDRFQ

Old bump, but its funny because 4.5 years ago his post was

so what im getting at is... time for an 08/09 cbr?
    and his current av is a cbr lolllll

Quote Originally Posted by jbose View Post
    yeah gixxa750 basically summed it up. also, called suzuki a couple of days ago, they dont care at all. basically, its out of warranty and thats all they see.
    Edit: oops. Check the thread date before I post.

Last edited by GixerJockey; 09-13-14 at 08:40 PM.