Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dumb contractor photos

Dumb contractor photos

Add your own photos in this post.

Living in Boston I see tons of stupid shit going on.
    I just happened to have a camera with me for this one while I was sitting a a light on the way to work. about 5 minutes later it was pouring rain and I almost went back to snap another photo of this poor guy putting his life on the line for $8/hr.

You think this is an approved Osha rigging technique?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dumb_contractor.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	23007  

0 Not allowed!

Re: Dumb contractor photos

so is that a working platform made out of two extension ladders atop a box truck leaning against a building?

Thanks for the picture, now I have something to share at the safety huddle today.

0 Not allowed!

WOW, that's right out in the open on Market St. too, isn't it? I'm surprised no one stopped him.

0 Not allowed!

Once your privy to the OSHA regs, you can point out a few violations just on your way to lunch...

0 Not allowed!

That looks safe enough. I have had an 20' extension ladder inside of a bucket up 75 feet in the air. One guy at the bottom of the ladder the other guy about 15 feet up the ladder. We were hanging christmas lights on this big ass pine tree. Wish I had a picture of that osha nightmare.

KB

0 Not allowed!

Thats so much nicer than a boom truck.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post
    Add your own photos in this post.

Living in Boston I see tons of stupid shit going on.
    I just happened to have a camera with me for this one while I was sitting a a light on the way to work. about 5 minutes later it was pouring rain and I almost went back to snap another photo of this poor guy putting his life on the line for $8/hr.

You think this is an approved Osha rigging technique?
    Ladder jacks are OSHA legal as long as the ladder has the weight ratings to hold the jacks, the pick and worker(s), the footing of the 2 ladders "could" be questionable...and I beleive the wording is ladders cannot be set on top of scaffolding.
    IMO, the violation is the roof of the truck not having guardrails as they are over the 10' fall protection rule...which oddly does not apply once you have 3 members of your body on the ladder.

0 Not allowed!

maybe the guy is self employed and exempt from OSHA

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    maybe the guy is self employed and exempt from OSHA
    You're only exempt from OSHA if you're working on your own house...and even then, you will get the fine and have to fight it.

0 Not allowed!

WTF !

0 Not allowed!

On the plus side he probably works pretty cheap!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    You're only exempt from OSHA if you're working on your own house...and even then, you will get the fine and have to fight it.
    http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...IVES&p_id=1519

OSHA has jurisdiction over workplace safety in the United States and its territories. However, when Congress passed the OSH Act of 1970 and created OSHA, a few groups were given an exemption from OSHA coverage. Here is a short list (not totally exhaustive) of those who are exempt:

1) Employees of the Federal Government – this includes people working in high hazard jobs, such as a press operator at the federal mint, members of the armed services, the ranger at the national park, and an FBI agent, are exempt from OSHA coverage. Even the federal OSHA compliance officer that comes to inspect your company for compliance with OSHA regulations is not subject to coverage by the very Act that created his or her job! Many federal agencies do voluntarily “adopt” OSHA regulations for their employees, but when push comes to shove and they are running low on funds or time, some of them are very quick to remember that they are exempt.

2) State, City & County Employees – because of prohibitions against something know as an unfunded mandate, the employees of the states, cities & counties (sometimes called public employees) are also exempt from OSHA coverage. So workers employed by a private company who are digging a ditch are regulated by OSHA’s excavation standards, but the city crew digging a ditch across the street from them is not. Like some federal agencies, many state, city & county agencies also voluntarily adopt OSHA regulations for their workers. And those States who opted to develop and administer their own State OSHA program (see previous blog for an explanation) must also include their state, city & county workers in their jurisdiction, meaning those agencies would no longer be exempt.

3) Certain Employee Groups Covered by Other Federal Agencies – for example, workers in a mine are covered by the Mine Safety & Health Administration (MSHA), and not by OSHA. There are also other work situations where other regulations could take precedence over OSHA’s, like with workers on a ship at sea, flight crews up in an airplane, and truck drivers rolling down the highway.

4) Family Members Working on Their Family Farm – technically these people are not considered employees of the farm. So even though OSHA has agricultural standards, these family members are exempt from OSHA coverage.

5) A Sole Proprietor with No Employees – if you have no employees, then you are not an employer, and OSHA only has jurisdiction over employers. There could be an exception to this exemption, however, if the sole proprietor hired temporary workers (like from a temp service) and directed their day-to-day activities.

6) Volunteers – if someone is working voluntarily for a company and receives no pay or compensation, they would not be considered an employee. Therefore, they do not fall under OSHA’s jurisdiction.

0 Not allowed!

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

So if all of your "help" is 1099 'D and is his/her ownboss so to speak OSHAhas nothin on ya and you can stack multiply extension ladders with zipties and duct tape yeay

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BluGixxer View Post
    So if all of your "help" is 1099 'D and is his/her ownboss so to speak OSHAhas nothin on ya and you can stack multiply extension ladders with zipties and duct tape yeay
    Tough gig in MA. They're pretty strict on the whole employee contractor law.

Interesting that State and City are exempt. Obviously they adopt a safety program, but just seems kinda weird.
    Edit: Before I get 500 million replies about how people worked as contractors, it needs to be reported.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by obsolete; 11-10-10 at 06:15 AM.

Lifer

He might actually not be in direct violation of any OSHA reg's (He's still not the sharpest tool in the shed)... If the ladders have the right stickers and ratings, the jacks are correct, and the planking meets code - Is there a specific statement that says it's an offense to put the ladder on top of the truck?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    Is there a specific statement that says it's an offense to put the ladder on top of the truck?
    Sure, commen sence maybe? Thats just asking for it in my opinion. If those ladders slip on the metal roof...ouch. I've seen a few people at work get hurt for being stupid, just not worth it. Pump jacks...it is 2010

0 Not allowed!

i don't see the top of a box truck as passing OSHA's guidelines for a walking/working surface. There's also a reg that states ladders must be used for their intended purpose...it could be a stretch, but it's OSHA

0 Not allowed!

certain aspects of my work that I cannot allow my employees to do, logging soil test pits being # 1, I can go in a pit over 4 feet deep without a trench box, but I can't send an employee down

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    Sure, commen sence maybe? Thats just asking for it in my opinion. If those ladders slip on the metal roof...ouch. I've seen a few people at work get hurt for being stupid, just not worth it. Pump jacks...it is 2010
    Last time I read VOSHA (VT OSHA) spec's - Common sense wasn't mentioned anywhere in the text...

0 Not allowed!

do you classify the pits as permit required confined spaces? sounds like they could be reclassified with a trench box.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TimmyB; 11-10-10 at 05:41 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    certain aspects of my work that I cannot allow my employees to do, logging soil test pits being # 1, I can go in a pit over 4 feet deep without a trench box, but I can't send an employee down
    I'm guessing you can also go down in the unsupported hole by yourself with no one watching...

0 Not allowed!

Last time I read VOSHA (VT OSHA) spec's - Common sense wasn't mentioned anywhere in the text...
    thats why theres pages and pages of interpretation letters. its all about how your OSHA rep sees the situation and interprets the regs. do you really want to take that risk? rent a boom truck and charge the bank. i dont think they'll care. they have money.

0 Not allowed!

Sigh...I get that. People should not need OSHA for basic safety on a jobsite. Like the picture, whos bright idea was that??

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    its all about how your OSHA rep sees the situation and interprets the regs.
    Which is exactly why I said above that you will get the fine and have to fight it

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    thats why theres pages and pages of interpretation letters. its all about how your OSHA rep sees the situation and interprets the regs. do you really want to take that risk? rent a boom truck and charge the bank. i dont think they'll care. they have money.

banks take low bidder quicker than anyone

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast