Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dirt riding for little dudes in MA

Dirt riding for little dudes in MA

My son is 10 and has been learning to ride an old Honda XR100R in circles in the back yard. Obviously Boston is not the best place for dirt riding. He's getting the hang of clutch control, braking and visual habits. We can probably manage to get into second to practice a bit of shifting as well.

Looking at the state rules, in order for him to ride on some of the state forest trails he has to take a course, be 14 or older, and ride an under-90cc bike. There's a provision for 10-14 yos to ride under direction supervision in competitions but that's really unclear. The XR100 has not title and is not street register able so it's not even clear if I could get the necessary permit for it.

So it appears we need to find a private club to ride at, presumably in central MA or possibly SNH.

CN: how do I take my 10yo son dirt riding from Boston?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Wirelessly posted

Wareham MX has 2 or 3 days a week where they are only open to under 150cc 4 strokes and 85cc 2 strokes and women, this is targeted for younger riders, there are 4 year old kids out there ripping.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Corey

Re: Dirt riding for little dudes in MA

MX tracks. Crow hill has a kids track...

Paul_E_D

some links that might help: MSF Dirt Bike School and Planet Dirt Riding School

Last edited by typeone; 06-12-13 at 03:32 PM.
    Beta 200RR

move out of mass

no seriously - Paul/Clinton got it.

there is also illegal but tolerated mini track?

I know where there is one...small but fun, about 45 mins from beantown:

all the local kids go there to tool around, it's not legal, but it's in the middle of the woods behind a shopping center and you park your car/truck in the woods anyhow so nobody would even know you're there. I occasionally see cops at the entrance behind the shopping center, but never had one come down the trail. You can register the bike with the MA fish and game as an off-road only vehicle, you essentially just need to pay sales tax and bring the receipt (with a check) to their office.

berms

small whoops

small jumps (bmx bicycle sized)

it was too small for the RM125, the XR200 was pretty close; albeit still a little big - so I figure an XR100 would be perfect

here's one of the local kids in action:

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-12-13 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    move out of mass
    why?

off-road w/sticker... Freetown SF, Wrentham SF, Franklin SF, Hodges Village Dam, F. Gilbert Hills SF, Tolland SF, Pittsfield SF, October Mt. SF, Beartown SF

motocross... Atwoods MX, Capeway Rovers MX, Crow Hill MX, JJs MX Park, MX 365 (maybe?), Rockwood MX, MX338 Southwick, Thunderbowl MX

clubs w/events... New England Trail Riders Assoc., Berkshire Trail Riders, Greylock Riders Motorcycle Club, Hoosac Valley Motorcycle Club, King Philip Trail Riders, Knox Trail Riders, Minuteman Trail Riders, Norumbega Trail Riders, Pilgrim Sands Trail Riders, Springfield Motorcycle Club, Tri-State Trail Riders, Wachusett Valley Riders

there are options.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

move out of mass
    Boston Harbor Not Found.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    why?

off-road w/sticker... Freetown SF, Wrentham SF, Franklin SF, Hodges Village Dam, F. Gilbert Hills SF, Tolland SF, Pittsfield SF, October Mt. SF, Beartown SF

motocross... Atwoods MX, Capeway Rovers MX, Crow Hill MX, JJs MX Park, MX 365 (maybe?), Rockwood MX, MX338 Southwick, Thunderbowl MX

clubs w/events... New England Trail Riders Assoc., Berkshire Trail Riders, Greylock Riders Motorcycle Club, Hoosac Valley Motorcycle Club, King Philip Trail Riders, Knox Trail Riders, Minuteman Trail Riders, Norumbega Trail Riders, Pilgrim Sands Trail Riders, Springfield Motorcycle Club, Tri-State Trail Riders, Wachusett Valley Riders

there are options.
    So how can I take a 10 year old "Off Road with Sticker" when the EVP site says he has to be 14?

I called Dirt Planet as they have no info on their website but they do offer the MSF DirtBike School. Their next course is offered Saturday June 22nd from 10am to 3pm. It costs $249 and they will supply a bike if you don't have one. The next time they offer the course after that is July 6th 9am to 2pm. So that's the plan right now.

If I take him to the Wareham MX facility, is there a short course or training range? He's itching to ride some more but I wouldn't want him to be out on a course by himself - he can just barely kickstart the bike himself.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-12-13 at 01:07 PM.

sorry, went off topic, i was responding to the 'MA sucks for riding' comment, you hear it all the time (nothing directly at you, Bhavesh). we all know it's not like it used to be but there are still places to ride legally, great events happening every weekend and clubs to stay connected.

for a 10 year old, it can suck but i'd get in touch with a few clubs near you and discuss with them to see what your options are. the age thing slipped my mind because i've seen responsible, MA ORV registered parents out putting around with small children at Hodges. didnt even strike me as ILLEGAL at the time but as you point out, it is.

maybe just ring up NETRA to see what kind of info you can get: (860) 693-9111

good deal on the MSF Dirt Bike School. hope he has a blast!

i think most of the MX tracks are going to have a (very) small course where riders do laps so yes, he'll be out with others most likely. maybe try to find more learning type events that aren't so pricey. sounds like that's more what you're looking for. other than that... making connections through a club is a great way to go until he gets control of the bike.

when i was a kid, that's how we did it. talked to the local Honda shop dirt bike guys, learned where some private spots were then joined the state off-road club for meetings and events.

Beta 200RR

oh, and this site is more off-road focused than NESR: http://www.nedirtbikes.com/

you could pose the question there as well.

Beta 200RR

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman
    move out of mass
    Boston Harbor Not Found.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    why?

there are options.
    So how can I take a 10 year old "Off Road with Sticker" when the EVP site says he has to be 14?

I called Dirt Planet as they have no info on their website but they do offer the MSF DirtBike School. Their next course is offered Saturday June 22nd from 10am to 3pm. It costs $249 and they will supply a bike if you don't have one. The next time they offer the course after that is July 6th 9am to 2pm. So that's the plan right now.

If I take him to the Wareham MX facility, is there a short course or training range? He's itching to ride some more but I wouldn't want him to be out on a course by himself - he can just barely kickstart the bike himself.
    Wareham is not a huge track, it's later out nice and if you talk to them they will allow you to go out on track of he crashed or something. Last time I was there their was literally a 4 or 5 year old kid ripping a ktm50 and the dad would just run out if there was an issue.

Corey

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Bring him to my gun club, we have about 80 acres (limited) to play on. There is a trail through the woods that would bore either one of us, but it is very kid friendly. And you can shoot afterwards.
    499 lincon rd, walpole,ma

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

Looking at the state rules, in order for him to ride on some of the state forest trails he has to take a course, be 14 or older, and ride an under-90cc bike. There's a provision for 10-14 yos to ride under direction supervision in competitions but that's really unclear. The XR100 has not title and is not street register able so it's not even clear if I could get the necessary permit for it.

CN: how do I take my 10yo son dirt riding from Boston?
    The key wording in the law is "supervised by an adult while in preparation for, or while participating in.... ".

So take the on line and classroom course outlined on the Mass DEP site http://www.mass.gov/eea/grants-and-t...te-course.html

Register the bike with an OHV sticker from the DEP and ride.... in preparation for the next Junior Enduro or Harescramble.

I would not recommend going to a MA state forest or Hodges with out the safety course certificate. Best case it will end with you being sent home and some major disappointment from the little guy.

Lifer

Try the Springfield Motorcycle Club. They have 98 acres or something like that, in Brimfield, MA. They run Jr. Enduro's and host Trials events on it.

from the NEDB Youth Forum...

MVTR Family Ride in Alton NH 8/24/13 Come one come all lets all get together and ride, BBQ, and have a good time!

Marked routes will be available for all ability levels. PM with any questions please.

http://www.mvtr.org/

Beta 200RR

Is there a Honda model that is 90cc or less that is s the same physical size as an XR100R?

Is there anyplace we could buy MX boots in the area? He takes a boy's size 6. We bought some youth glvoes at Cycles 128.

He's got a helmet, pants and jacket.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-12-13 at 04:25 PM.

Lifer

Is there anyplace we could buy MX boots in the area? He takes a boy's size 6. We bought some youth glvoes at Cycles 128.
    I don't know if there's anything closer to you, but Kevin's Cycle in Norton MA has dirt bike gear and I know he had both youth and adult equipment in the store. http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/ Very available hours too : Mon-Fri 10am-8pm Sat 10am-5pm EST

nedirtriders.com

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_0d72.htm

and rider planet in general

Some adult must go with him cause you can get pretty turned around maybe even gps where the car is

Last edited by Stromper; 06-12-13 at 08:03 PM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/OHRV/ohrv.htm

Check out the NH regs for little guys on bikes. Pretty sure under 90cc and under a certain age bike doesn't need to be reg'd. Your XR breaks the displacement rule but reg'ing isn't all that expensive.

Couple of places to go, Rockingham Trail starting in Fremont and the oft discussed Hop-Ev in Dunbarton.

Fremont pretty flat and straight but can get whooped out a bit. Couple of road crossings that could intimidate a little guy but worst case you could walk the bike across for him and go from there.

Hop-Ev the trails run the gamut but there is a small area that you can get to by fire road for the most part that would be good for the little guy to get used to things.

Joel

Lifer

Is there a Honda model that is 90cc or less that is s the same physical size as an XR100R?

Give Weymouth Honda a call 781-337-7400 ask for Chris Mullen.

There's an 80cc. Model and they have gear in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    There's an 80cc. Model .
    I just need the decal....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I was going to try and take him to Wareham tomorrow, but it's supposed to rain from this afternoon til morning. Will they still open if soggy?

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman
    I was going to try and take him to Wareham tomorrow, but it's supposed to rain from this afternoon til morning. Will they still open if soggy?
    Add them on Facebook if you have it, just search wareham mx and there page will pop up.

Corey

We've been lucky and found the big-ticket stuff for Canaan (6-years old) at thrift shops. Boots, chest protector, pants...all had for short money...

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/OHRV/ohrv.htm

Check out the NH regs for little guys on bikes. Pretty sure under 90cc and under a certain age bike doesn't need to be reg'd. Your XR breaks the displacement rule but reg'ing isn't all that expensive.
    Not sure if dirtbikes & ATV requirements are the same (in NH). ATV's under 90cc do NOT require an OHRV reg. Kids are free to ride without certification until they are 12 under adult supervision, and the class to get certified is free - I just did it with my 12-year old daughter. 12-16 year olds are required to hold the certification unless they have a valid driver's license issued by NH (yeah, I know - 12-16 with a license? I didn't write the law). It may be the same for dirtybikes, I dunno for sure...

Not to go the 'move outta MA' route. But my kids (like I said 6 & 12 - well, the ones still at home) love to ride their ATV's. If'n ya ever feel like taking Junior up our way, hollah. Hollah!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

if he needs a brand new Troy Lee Designs kidney belt i have one in youth size. bought it thinking it was adult.

Beta 200RR

We're at the Dirt Planet course today 10-3. It's less than an hour drive from Boston. There is a 13yo and his dad, a 12yo, a 25yo guy who is a new street rider and wants to try dirt bikes, and my son. Perfect weather, everybody in the group is seriously excited!

The price goes down for two or more at a time, so find some friends if you are going to sign up. Next class is July 6.

And 12 and under a parent has to stay all day...

Last edited by Garandman; 06-22-13 at 11:02 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast