Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

NYST groupon

NYST groupon

I know that there is some uncertainty about NYST this year, but they have a groupon for 2 trackdays and a pro membership for $229. That is a smokin deal, I figure it is worth the gamble.... Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: NYST groupon

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Thoughts?

I already bought one before the news broke on this whole NYST thing. With groupon I think it's still fairly safe. If they do not redeem your coupon you should be able to get your money back. Or at least that's what I hope............

If I had not bought one of these back in November there is not a chance in hell Id do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post

In all seriousness, almost postive group on refunds businesses that go under that have group ons sold.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

I don't understand the situation honestly. Most track day groups have pulled out by now....yet the tracks official message is still full speed ahead. Wish I had all the details.

LRRS #313

Quote Originally Posted by WinVT View Post
    I don't understand the situation honestly. Most track day groups have pulled out by now....yet the tracks official message is still full speed ahead. Wish I had all the details.
    Here is all the details including minutes of town meetings (click on the outlined box's for details.
    NYST groupon-harpersfield-docs-pdf

A law suit was filed against the track and the town planning board over use. Then I believe a state Court judge ruled against the track and planning board. The track has to go back to the town and file for change of use...
    Will it get approval from the town?

Last edited by xsiliconkid; 03-02-14 at 09:53 AM.
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

there is no doubt the initial intended use was for a MSF type training facility... That's where the low number of bikes and 250cc limits.... came from....

more info
    http://harpersfieldmotorcyclesafetytrack.wordpress.com/

Last edited by xsiliconkid; 03-02-14 at 09:59 AM.
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    there is no doubt the initial intended use was for a MSF type training facility... That's where the low number of bikes and 250cc limits.... came from....

more info
    http://harpersfieldmotorcyclesafetytrack.wordpress.com/
    Yeah, my assumption is that it was sold to the town and the planning board as a MSF / motorcycle training facility, but I doubt that was ever the true intention of the owners. It's not like they started out just doing MSF events and then slowly worked into track days. They jumped right into track days and my assumption was that once the proper infrastructure was in place they would start holding races.

I don't have time to read up on it now, but I will tonight. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. It sounds like the zoning laws are pretty relaxed or non-existent in the area....but I assume the new plan still needs to be approved by some sort of planning board.

LRRS #313

Graham

They are not being "shut down", but there use is being questioned. They are appealing and taking the steps to make this right. As I've said before, if you want the opportunity to ride at NYST this year, I would recommend to sign up for the membership or with TTD. Both seem to be a safe bet that if the track is shut down, your money will be returned.

With so many trackday orgs getting nervous and backing out, the opportunity to ride at NYST will be very limited compared to last year, so don't find yourself kicking yourself later this year when the track is operational and you can't get into a track day.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

I found this on groupon policy page:

"In addition to our Groupon Promise, we will always honor your refund requests if a business closes permanently, an event is canceled or rescheduled, or a business refuses to accept your unredeemed Groupon voucher."

LRRS/CCS #66

Lifer

Sam, I really do admire your enthusiasm. And you're clearly closer to this action than most of us, I so hope your are right.
    But I'm sorry. I simply could not bring myself to take that promise on face value. The reports I've read say they've been slapped with a $70k legal bill. If things go south-and don't confuse things; I hope they do not. But if they do, customers seeking refunds are going to be the last to see money.

Were I holding a credit for a track day with them I'd be looking to re-arrange my summer to use it as quick as possible.

The place sounds like a close circuit version of heaven. I hope they get it all worked out.

I actually decided to get it. I figure if it goes south, I can always contest it on my credit card.

I have been there a few times and I have faith in these guys. Plus, they seem to have a good amount of money as well as a good amount of money into this project. I don't see them walking away from a 5 million investment.

Worse comes to worse, they should just cut the complaining neighbors into the profits of the track to placate them.

If you read the article Graham posted, it says the town of Harpersfield has to pay the $71k. Because they didn't properly post the memorandums. That's why the board is appealing the decision. I actually think that is a good sign that the town the track is in is appealing the decision. It's good to have the town behind you. Seems like the citizen group is grasping at straws sighting the town on a rule that has only been around a year.

Also, as I quoted, if people buy the groupon and for some reason can't use it because of the track having issues, it's refundable by groupon. And Tony has personally stated he will refund money not only for track days at NYST if they get cancelled, but also his membership if that was the main reason you bought it.

Just saying, doesn't seem like there's a lot of financial risk. Just possible disappointment if the track had to close, but I think we are not at that point yet. I mean the track is built and operational and has the support of the town.

LRRS/CCS #66

Lifer

You are correct. I was mistaken regarding the fees. Although I was sure I read somewhere that the track was on the hook for something.. oh, that's right. There is supposedly some contention about the track paying the town for improvements and repair to the road leading to the track.

But your point stands; they are not presently obligated to pay.

I still wouldn't feel comfortable handing over a pile of money, given the state of this shit-show. Maybe I'm just too much of a candy ass.

Going thorough groupon would make me feel more comfortable. Going through Tony would make me feel even more-so. In fact, Tony has a bunch of my money already.

Who knows, maybe those of us on the hook for the groupon will get to ride with only 25 riders or something

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

But only if you put a sticker on the side of your bike claiming it is a 250.

Seriously, I know I come across as a debbie downer a lot on this site. But I really do hope that place gets to carry on. It looks like a blast and I've been impressed as hell at how they've developed it. (At least from what I see on FB and the like.)

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Who knows, maybe those of us on the hook for the groupon will get to ride with only 25 riders or something
    That may end up being the same thing with riders signed up with me.

I think I said this before, but I think the worst case is we run with 25 riders, and those bikes have stock/quiet exhausts.

Best case is a new plan is presented and passed by the town.

Either way, I am sure the track will be up and running normally by 2015. 2014 is unknown at this time, but not something worth worrying about.

We still have NH - and we have a new track in CT to learn - so it's not like we're sitting around staring at our bikes if NY doesn't do trackdays!

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

I think this is very realistic. Not too bad of a worse case scenario if you ask me.

LRRS/CCS #66

I'm pretty sure it's only 20/group already for the NYST member days. So either way it'll be < 25/group. http://www.nyst.com/faq.php

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    I found this on groupon policy page:

"In addition to our Groupon Promise, we will always honor your refund requests if a business closes permanently, an event is canceled or rescheduled, or a business refuses to accept your unredeemed Groupon voucher."
    This is all that needs to be said. I've used this policy for a refund before and Groupon does in fact give you the money back.

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

anyone who gets in the way of track riding should skip trial and be stoned to death immediately in the town center !!!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

NYST should've been VTST and none of these whining NY'ers would be able to say squat about noise and their property values. :/

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    NYST should've been VTST and none of these whining NY'ers would be able to say squat about noise and their property values. :/
    I've got enough land for maybe a kart track... It's hard to pave permafrost though.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast