Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

What is Self Control?

What is Self Control?

So I am caught in the qualm of realizing that I can not trust myself on a liter bike on the street due to recent events. I absolutely love everything about this bike from the kick ass stock suspension to the drop dead gorgeous appeal, but I know I need something with less power to prowl the streets with. I also am kinda stuck though in the essence that I need something with enough power to get around the track with, and something that will handle the track well enough. I will have the R1 paid off within the next month or 2 hopefully by selling both of my engines for the R6 pretty cheaply. What do you guys have for ideas?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Re: What is Self Control?

'Busa.

or an SV.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

I honestly really like my dualsport for the street. It puts the "fun zone" at a lower speed.

Fun on my RC51 is 60-120

Fun on my ATK is like 40-70

I know its easy to be a hooligan on a supermoto, but at least youre only going 60 when youre doing it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Triumph Thruxton, Scrambler, or Bonneville.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Grom.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

This thread makes me sad.

450+ motard, street legal, WR450, KTM 450/525/530 exc/xcw.
    IMHO if you can't control yourself on a liter bike, going down to a 600cc won't help much either. If you know you don't have the self control, maybe a vespa or something stupid, and get another dedicated track only bike

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

And this is why I do not have a street bike. Corners and speed are way to much fun. No matter how much track time I get, when I am on two wheels I want to find the limit. I do not find much fun at all in "just cruising" on anything. Not saying these are words to live by, just my outlook. Even if you got a "slow" bike, you would want to wring it out.

I stick to dirt and track and got a bicycle, where I can I find and push my physical limits every time I'm on it...the limits that won't get me or anyone else killed.

That being said, I love riding motorcycles and riding dirt...I just do them on closed, non-public courses in an attempt to hedge my life.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 04-14-14 at 03:46 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I have very little self control too. That said my biggest ticket was when I was on a Ninja 250. No power for high speed but you can still get waaaaay over the limit around town no problem. Something tells me you'll have the same problem no matter what you ride

Can you swing 2 bikes?

R1 track...sumo street

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I was in almost your exact position last season.
    The answer is a track bike, and a comfy, laid back street bike. Nothing too crazy, but something that
    A: looks inconspicuous to law enforcement
    B: can be ridden all day
    C: can haul all my work crap around

So, what you need is some sort of adv, touring, or sport touring (but ugly) motorcycle and a track weapon.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I ended up with a drzsm for this exact reason.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

CBR250R, RC390, etc.

That little 250R lets you beat on it like you're qualifying for a GP on a factory bike but at the same time you're quiet and not breaking any speed limits. At most, people will hear you laughing like a maniac over the almost silent exhaust, it's stupid fun.

I don't know about the 250 idea, I guess it is marginally safer until you get it up to speed. I think I'd treat em just like the race track...you know they aren't gonna get you out of the corner in a hurry so you better keep that corner speed up.

I completely disagree with the motard. Smutty used to race these things. They may not do 180 but they'll get you to 90 real damn fast.

Hmm. Sounds like a few of you know exactly what I am talking about. Seems like the best option right now based on your experiences is to just sell the street bike and find a cheap track bike and nix the street for now all together.

How about an XR650L or a KLR650?

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    How about an XR650L or a KLR650?
    To be honest I have had a KLR650 before and I would rather drive a car. Just not exciting to me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    To be honest I have had a KLR650 before and I would rather drive a car. Just not exciting to me at all.
    Agreed.

If you get something that truly limits you, you're not going to enjoy it.

There is also the option of just keep on doing what you're doing. May not be the most responsible, but it sure is fun.

Seems to me like you should just ditch the street bike all together. Maybe get a track only bike and a dirt bike for some off-road braps

Or just try not to go fast 100% of the time and enjoy the ride. Hell I love going fast just as much or more than the next guy, but you miss a lot of good and enjoyable stuff when you're out there to just hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Agreed.

If you get something that truly limits you, you're not going to enjoy it.

There is also the option of just keep on doing what you're doing. May not be the most responsible, but it sure is fun.
    This made me laugh haha. I don't have to explain it. You know lol.

Seems to me like you should just ditch the street bike all together. Maybe get a track only bike and a dirt bike for some off-road braps

Or just try not to go fast 100% of the time and enjoy the ride. Hell I love going fast just as much or more than the next guy, but you miss a lot of good and enjoyable stuff when you're out there to just hammer.
    I wish I could turn it on and off. I just don't find much enjoyment in slowing down other than it makes it easier to loft the front without the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    And this is why I do not have a street bike. Corners and speed are way to much fun. No matter how much track time I get, when I am on two wheels I want to find the limit. I do not find much fun at all in "just cruising" on anything. Not saying these are words to live by, just my outlook. Even if you got a "slow" bike, you would want to wring it out
    This sums it up for me too. I have a 1098 for the street and every time I get home it's like waking up from last night's bender wondering what just happened. Too much devil on your shoulder saying GO and nobody around to say NO. Luckily, my other riding buddy who has the same affliction as me recently sold his street bike so some of my bad influence is no longer, but that just means I'm leading. At the same time, if I didn't have a street bike I would miss it. I can't afford to do as much track time as I need to in order to feed the need.

I wish I could turn it on and off. I just don't find much enjoyment in slowing down other than it makes it easier to loft the front without the clutch.
    Get a cruiser maybe? Get some loud pipes and it'll feel/sound like you're going fast even when you aren't lol.

Or get a race bike and race I guess.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Christian,

It has all been said by those above me, displacement isn't going to solve the problem.

A different style of bike may help, motard you'll probably speed just as much and have the increased maintenance plus the hooligan factor would wind up getting you in trouble for wheelies, stoppies etc.

Cruisers, LEOs tend to look at them a little different so even if you were speeding they might look up and ignore but if you are flying it doesn't matter what you are on.

ADV bike, pretty sure Clayton could go flying by a cop on his purple KLR with the basket on the back and the cop wouldn't even look at him but if the radar is on he's still getting a conversation.

Best thing for this is self control or taking it off the streets until you can count on yourself to ride "the pace" on the street. 10-15 over in most areas isn't too big an issue. Especially if you are on a quiet bike. A bright yellow R1 doesn't necessarily fit that description.

Maybe something like a Hawk or a CB-1 UJM type bike could do it too.

Whatever way you go I'm glad you are asking and thinking about it now before you have gotten yourself into too much trouble.

Take it from someone who lost his license and paid a ton of money over the years in insurance payments because of his driving record, avoid the tickets any way you can because they haunt you for a long time. Stuff I did 15-20 years ago still comes up on my driving history when I get pulled over. Typically the amount of speeding infractions on my record make an officer more likely to give me a ticket, the only saving grace I have is that they are so long ago now.

Joel

Get a cruiser maybe? Get some loud pipes and it'll feel/sound like you're going fast even when you aren't lol.

Or get a race bike and race I guess.
    I need a break from racing and can't afford it even if I wanted to. Just track days.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Christian,

It has all been said by those above me, displacement isn't going to solve the problem.

A different style of bike may help, motard you'll probably speed just as much and have the increased maintenance plus the hooligan factor would wind up getting you in trouble for wheelies, stoppies etc.

Cruisers, LEOs tend to look at them a little different so even if you were speeding they might look up and ignore but if you are flying it doesn't matter what you are on.

ADV bike, pretty sure Clayton could go flying by a cop on his purple KLR with the basket on the back and the cop wouldn't even look at him but if the radar is on he's still getting a conversation.

Best thing for this is self control or taking it off the streets until you can count on yourself to ride "the pace" on the street. 10-15 over in most areas isn't too big an issue. Especially if you are on a quiet bike. A bright yellow R1 doesn't necessarily fit that description.

Maybe something like a Hawk or a CB-1 UJM type bike could do it too.

Whatever way you go I'm glad you are asking and thinking about it now before you have gotten yourself into too much trouble.

Take it from someone who lost his license and paid a ton of money over the years in insurance payments because of his driving record, avoid the tickets any way you can because they haunt you for a long time. Stuff I did 15-20 years ago still comes up on my driving history when I get pulled over. Typically the amount of speeding infractions on my record make an officer more likely to give me a ticket, the only saving grace I have is that they are so long ago now.

Joel
    Thanks Joel. Certainly getting a ticket and losing my license is a worry of mine, but my more primary concern is safety and something unpredictable happening.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast